Day 2 Presser

7 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

Gotta stop being negative cause they didn't take your guys. It is what it is leave the stressing for close games

dude you know nothing about me, I'm the last guy who would whine about 'not taking my guys' because other than the Dawgs, I don't watch enough college ball to know that much about all the guys out there, other than what I read from guys here that I have a little confidence in.

I'm not being negative because they didn't draft any Bulldogs, I'm negative because this has just been another typical 'Falcons gonna be Falcons' day. Need Dline and/or pass rush help? draft the 6th best WR instead. Need a linebacker? Leave well known stud players from schools like Alabama, USC, Wisconson on the board and take the "ALL BIG SKY" conference guy. just another freaking ridiculous waste of time

there won't be many, if any, close games the next few years again...so there won't be any stressing there, LOL

16 minutes ago, papachaz said:

dude you know nothing about me, I'm the last guy who would whine about 'not taking my guys' because other than the Dawgs, I don't watch enough college ball to know that much about all the guys out there, other than what I read from guys here that I have a little confidence in.

I'm not being negative because they didn't draft any Bulldogs, I'm negative because this has just been another typical 'Falcons gonna be Falcons' day. Need Dline and/or pass rush help? draft the 6th best WR instead. Need a linebacker? Leave well known stud players from schools like Alabama, USC, Wisconson on the board and take the "ALL BIG SKY" conference guy. just another freaking ridiculous waste of time

there won't be many, if any, close games the next few years again...so there won't be any stressing there, LOL

Not only did we need pass rushers (they drafted 2 and a half by the way) we also needed offensive playmakers. Arthur Smirh said it himself, we needed upgrades at every position on the team. And the guy your dismissing might turn out to be the best inside linebacker since Luke Keachly. The front office did a tremendous job drafting quality players that will be instant contributors on this team. I’m not sure what you are so salty about.

Actually a good amount to take away from this imho, even to the "they never say anything" crowd. My notes, featuring a ton of reading between the lines of what they actually said:

- Ebiketie was clearly a 1st rounder on their board. They were patient, but it was clear they were willing to wait to a point before just going and getting him. I get the distinct impression he's one of Pees guys too. Definitely fits the prototype for his typical long and squat pass rushing OLB. I have high hopes for AK-47.

- This is the first time that I can recall either of them plainly saying that the roster has needs everywhere. It was very much, "tell me this is a rebuild without telling me this is a rebuild." Barring a total collapse with the 2nd years and rookies showing no signs of growth, I think this year is a mulligan for them. Next year they get to finally build with some money and I think the expectation is playoffs - no less.

- Mariota penciled as the starter while leaving the door open for Ridder. Kinda obvious imho, but depending how he picks up the playbook and meshes with everyone, I could absolutely see him having a Russell Wilson-esque takeover where everyone thought Matt Flynn was starting initially...still expecting Mariota to start the full season, but note that this isn't like Trey Lance or Jordan Love. Ridder is more developed, at least from a processing and pro-system standpoint. And Mariota is injury prone. Add to that the chip on Ridder's shoulder...not saying he's Da Future. But **** I love the pick.

- The people thinking Andersen will play offense as well as defense are gonna be disappointed. He's a LB exclusively. Sounds like our new RB coach (Pitre) advocated for him. Lots of compliments of Andersen as an athlete, but emphasized his instincts and that he's a football player first and foremost (I completely agree).

- More specifically on Ridder, AS emphasized his mental makeup and that he "won." Being a winner in a traditionally not-great football program is a big deal. It's also the same situation he's currently coming into. I often wonder how big if a deal this is for QBs that excel in the league - just think about it. Allen and Wyoming. Mahomes and Texas Tech. Wilson and Wisconsin. Rodgers and Cal. Manning and Tennessee. Prescott and Miss St. Shoot, even Ryan and Boston College. The more I think about it...this is a huge deal. QBs that can come into a mediocre or losing program (or at least not excellent, college is finicky) and transform them can do the same for mediocre or losing NFL franchises. 

- I like how TF and AS seem to engage with players families. People poked fun at London saying he wanted to be here and talking about the culture, but I see what he means. This isn't exactly common for 3rd round picks, but they did it with Ridder. Talked about meeting his mom. Can y'all remember any of that with Dimi's picks? This is a different regime y'all.

- An excellent point that I didn't realize until AS brought it up - all 4 of the picks today were at the Senior Bowl. It seems like they value that experience and that competition a lot, especially for smaller school guys. Part of me is questioning if we'll find a way to nab Winfrey too...less of a typical Pees fit, but...

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Actually a good amount to take away from this imho, even to the "they never say anything" crowd. My notes, featuring a ton of reading between the lines of what they actually said:

- Ebiketie was clearly a 1st rounder on their board. They were patient, but it was clear they were willing to wait to a point before just going and getting him. I get the distinct impression he's one of Pees guys too. Definitely fits the prototype for his typical long and squat pass rushing OLB. I have high hopes for AK-47.

- This is the first time that I can recall either of them plainly saying that the roster has needs everywhere. It was very much, "tell me this is a rebuild without telling me this is a rebuild." Barring a total collapse with the 2nd years and rookies showing no signs of growth, I think this year is a mulligan for them. Next year they get to finally build with some money and I think the expectation is playoffs - no less.

- Mariota penciled as the starter while leaving the door open for Ridder. Kinda obvious imho, but depending how he picks up the playbook and meshes with everyone, I could absolutely see him having a Russell Wilson-esque takeover where everyone thought Matt Flynn was starting initially...still expecting Mariota to start the full season, but note that this isn't like Trey Lance or Jordan Love. Ridder is more developed, at least from a processing and pro-system standpoint. And Mariota is injury prone. Add to that the chip on Ridder's shoulder...not saying he's Da Future. But **** I love the pick.

- The people thinking Andersen will play offense as well as defense are gonna be disappointed. He's a LB exclusively. Sounds like our new RB coach (Pitre) advocated for him. Lots of compliments of Andersen as an athlete, but emphasized his instincts and that he's a football player first and foremost (I completely agree).

- More specifically on Ridder, AS emphasized his mental makeup and that he "won." Being a winner in a traditionally not-great football program is a big deal. It's also the same situation he's currently coming into. I often wonder how big if a deal this is for QBs that excel in the league - just think about it. Allen and Wyoming. Mahomes and Texas Tech. Wilson and Wisconsin. Rodgers and Cal. Manning and Tennessee. Brady and Michigan. Prescott and Miss St. Shoot, even Ryan and Boston College. The more I think about it...this is a huge deal. QBs that can come into a mediocre or losing program (or at least not excellent, college is finicky) and transform them can do the same for mediocre or losing NFL franchises. 

- I like how TF and AS seem to engage with players families. People poked fun at London saying he wanted to be here and talking about the culture, but I see what he means. This isn't exactly common for 3rd round picks, but they did it with Ridder. Talked about meeting his mom. Can y'all remember any of that with Dimi's picks? This is a different regime y'all.

- An excellent point that I didn't realize until AS brought it up - all 4 of the picks today were at the Senior Bowl. It seems like they value that experience and that competition a lot, especially for smaller school guys. Part of me is questioning if we'll find a way to nab Winfrey too...less of a typical Pees fit, but...

Great reviews - appreciated  

8 hours ago, Bridgeburner said:

Not only did we need pass rushers (they drafted 2 and a half by the way) we also needed offensive playmakers. Arthur Smirh said it himself, we needed upgrades at every position on the team. And the guy your dismissing might turn out to be the best inside linebacker since Luke Keachly. The front office did a tremendous job drafting quality players that will be instant contributors on this team. I’m not sure what you are so salty about.

so you can't grasp that I disagree with you thinking this guy, and anyone they drafted other than Ebiketie, and maybe Ridder in the third, was a tremendous reach? I clearly said it's my opinion, and I have the right to have that and be salty, even if no one else agrees with me or likes it. that's how the world is supposed to work ya know

I know this is year two of this staff, but what they've shown me so far is exactly what I've seen from this team for 50+ years....

Jerry instead of Clay Matthews, Takk instead of TJ Watt, Beasley instead of anyone who had a heart to play the game....a few of the most recent ones, and I have too much to do today to go back through the years and. I've seen this board go total optimistic on players drafted like Stansley Maponga and Bear Woods.......  LMAO 

it's the song that never ends, and every 'staff' through the years just picks it right up where the previous staff left off

“Similar skill sets”

Exactly! It’s a much easier job if you have a young guy, or if an injury comes along, that the offense doesn’t have to change because your QBs are the same physical profile. Can’t be underestimated.

12 hours ago, Bigjmw084 said:

Did yall notice how Deion Jones name was left out of the LB room. He mentioned everyone except him.

Yea, I think that means Deion is not completing for a position and the rest of them are. In other words, Jones is penciled in as a 2022 starter. I think they hope to work Anderson into the middle and keep Jones outside...for one season.