Will Drake London be the best or close to the best WR to come out of this class? That's the question...

OK - so Drake London wasn't who I wanted but he's a Falcon now so I am hoping for the best.   Clearly he has size and jump ball skills and I am confident those skills will translate to the NFL.   Will the route-running and speed be good enough?  Will he be able to separate?   To me London is more of a hybrid player than true receiver - hopefully he can block some as well.   Guessing Arthur Smith sees London as someone he could maybe run 12 personnel  - at 219lbs, he's really light I would think for 12 personnel.   The good news is Arthur Smith knows how to scheme and feature players w/ unique talents (see Derrick Henry and Cordarelle Patterson).

What we know London is not - he's not a burner - he's not going to run by most NFL corners and safeties - he can go over the top on them and snag the ball.

One of the things out of Arthur Smith's mouth when being prompted to justify the pick was - "you saw the run on receivers after we took Drake London, right?"

My answer to Arthur would be "well yes we did".

But that's not the question - the question is - "Is Drake London the best Wide Receiver in this draft?"    The Falcons had their choice of every receiver and they chose him.   Clearly Terry Fontenot and Arthur Smith believe Drake London is the best - and hopefully they are right.   I want them to be right.

If we look back in 2024 and there are a half-dozen wide receivers that came out of this draft better than Drake London - then that's a FAIL.

If London is at least "top 3" and all his NFL tape looks similar to what he did in college - then we as Falcons fans should be happy.   When you take a player in the top 10 - that player cannot be just good - he needs to be great.

image-2.png?w=956&h=538

2 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

@g-dawg

The presser AS and TF would better explain their decision.  "Fit" being the key word.

I also think the wr/te hybrid is about to become a serious thing in the NFL. 

yeah clearly Drake London was the Sesame Street game "Which one of these things is not like the other? Which one is not quite the same?"

nevertheless, even though it was "fit" - it's up to the player and Arthur to make the "fit" one that is so good that Drake is uber-productive and where the talent and skill is maximized.   By selecting Drake London at #8 - and saying - "he was highest rated player on the board" - even if that had to do w/ fit - that means you maximize the player for production at elite level.

Cannot just be "fit".

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I'm not sure I need him to be the 'best' in this draft class. I need him to be the best fit for the Falcons. Those aren't necessarily the same thing. If one of the other WRs tears it up over his career more power to him. If London makes this team a legitimate threat for the next ten years then we did well.

I said "top 3".....if London is "top 3" and a weapon for this team for 10 years, then it will be a good pick.   As an example, If we are arguing Randy Moss/Terrell Owens/Marvin Harrison - then I'm good with whichever of those you think is #3.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I said "top 3".....if London is "top 3" and a weapon for this team for 10 years, then it will be a good pick.   If we are arguing Randy Moss/Terrell Owens/Marvin Harrison - then I'm good with whichever of those you think is #3.

I don't care if he's Top 20 in the NFL if he's the best fit for our team is the point. I don't want to get caught up in just judging a player on individual stats versus others in his draft class. I understand what you are saying but on a team that already has Pitts I don't need London to be a numbers guy ... I need him to make the offense better all around. Pitts and London can make each other better ( and the team as well ) without the numbers reflecting that.

I've watched JJ win the 'battle' with Green for best WR in that draft, but it didn't win us the war.

There are a lot of FS's in the NFC South who probably just decided the ATL games on their schedule aren't going to be fun.

Edited by Geneaut

11 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I don't care if he's Top 20 in the NFL if he's the best fit for our team is the point. I don't want to get caught up in just judging a player on individual stats versus others in his draft class. I understand what you are saying but on a team that already has Pitts I don't need London to be a numbers guy ... I need him to make the offense better all around. Pitts and London can make each other better ( and the team as well ) without the numbers reflecting that.

I've watched JJ win the 'battle' with Green for best WR in that draft, but it didn't win us the war.

There are a lot of FS's in the NFC South who probably just decided the ATL games on their schedule aren't going to be fun.

moreso than any other positions - QB/RB/WR - those are "stats" positions.    No WR that didn't put up stats ever got paid w/o putting up stats.   If Drake London isn't averaging 75+ rec/yr 1,100yds+ per year guy and average 8+ TDs/yr by year 3 - then it's a fail - and I base that off the 16 game schedule and now we are playing 17 games and will leave it the same.    That's 4.41 receptions/game for 65yds/game and a TD every other game.

Again, I like the player, didn't like him at 8 with soo many team needs.  The Falcons have to make up for it with the later rounds.  As a player, he should be hard to stop with Pitts lurking on the other side depending on the set.  Which one do you attempt to take away as a defense?

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

moreso than any other positions - QB/RB/WR - those are "stats" positions.    No WR that didn't put up stats ever got paid w/o putting up stats.   If Drake London isn't averaging 75+ rec/yr 1,100yds+ per year guy and average 8+ TDs/yr by year 3 - then it's a fail - and I base that off the 16 game schedule and now we are playing 17 games and will leave it the same.    That's 4.41 receptions/game for 65yds/game and a TD every other game.

1100 yards would put him roughly the 16th best WR last season. I'm OK with that. If that is his ceiling and the team is successful then I'm freaking ecstatic.

I Ridley CP84 is glad the FS is more worried about London than he is CP. If Arthur is as smart as I think he is then he's already making plans.

50 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

OK - so Drake London wasn't who I wanted but he's a Falcon now so I am hoping for the best.   Clearly he has size and jump ball skills and I am confident those skills will translate to the NFL.   Will the route-running and speed be good enough?  Will he be able to separate?   To me London is more of a hybrid player than true receiver - hopefully he can block some as well.   Guessing Arthur Smith sees London as someone he could maybe run 12 personnel  - at 219lbs, he's really light I would think for 12 personnel.   The good news is Arthur Smith knows how to scheme and feature players w/ unique talents (see Derrick Henry and Cordarelle Patterson).

What we know London is not - he's not a burner - he's not going to run by most NFL corners and safeties - he can go over the top on them and snag the ball.

One of the things out of Arthur Smith's mouth when being prompted to justify the pick was - "you saw the run on receivers after we took Drake London, right?"

But that's not the question - the question is - "Is Drake London the best Wide Receiver in this draft?"    The Falcons had their choice of every receiver and they chose him.   Clearly Terry Fontenot and Arthur Smith believe Drake London is the best - and hopefully they are right.   I want them to be right.

If we look back in 2024 and there are a half-dozen wide receivers that came out of this draft better than Drake London - then that's a FAIL.

If London is at least "top 3" and all his NFL tape looks similar to what he did in college - then we as Falcons fans should be happy.   When you take a player in the top 10 - that player cannot be just good - he needs to be great.

image-2.png?w=956&h=538

I don't think it is as simple as asking is he the "best WR in this class". Is he the best WR for this team is more appropriate. In other words, what if Wilson has a 100 catches, and London only has 80, but he is a stud in the running game? 

The interesting connection for me (that I would like to see) is Calvin Johnson... In a PFT interview, he mentioned being a huge CJ fan and I think if Calvin was able to connect with him and teach him some "tricks of the trade", then it would be great for us. ****, if Calvin could teach him and Pitts it would great.

29 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Should have and would have, if KS & DQ didn't have their heads in the clouds.

I like where we are headed.  When Arthur gets done putting his offense together, every formation will be a danger to pass or run.  Big physical WR who can make tough short yardage and redzone catches or shift into run blocking, shifty RB who can split out wide and get over the top and TEs who can do it all.  You can see Marriota is also a poor mans version of his versatile QB prototype, too.

58 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

image-2.png?w=956&h=538

If we had to go receiver, I wanted Olave.  My move would've been to trade back, snag Olave and got another low first or high second in the process.

2 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Should have and would have, if KS & DQ didn't have their heads in the clouds.

More than likely you are correct, but yet it is what it is.

That said it can also come down to what you are looking for as a fan. I've never regretted having JJ on the team, and I never will. He was d@mn fun to watch and I got a ton of entertainment out being a fan of his. I don't think London is the same type of player, but he can make Sundays fun in different ways. He and Pitts ( and CP ) should be fun to watch at times this season.

I tend to agree with the "fit" narrative. If used correctly, london/pitts/cp with a good rb out of the backfield could create fits for db/lb in coverage. Add to that the catch radius of pitts/london and it takes pressure off mariota to be perfect with his placement. Might very well turn out to be a good move. We'll be able to tell more about the plans tonight.