Had enough of the Drake London's route running/separation *libel

And yes, it's libel (thanks @Sidecar Falcon lmao), because it isn't even close to the truth. Y'all gotta understand a couple things about my guy London.

First off, he makes a lot of pretty contested catches, and people love that **** for highlight reels. So that's a big chunk of what you're going to see. It's what people love putting together, so you'll have to dig deeper to see his whole skillset.

Second, he's a big guy, so people see him one way. And then they write it in the scouting reports. You have to get past the surface level to actually see what he does and analyze certain things - namely, the route tree he was asked to run, how he ran them (his slants are impeccable, hence why I keep making the Michael Thomas comparisons), and what the coaching staff asked him to do at USC. His route running is very good right now and he's made massive strides every year at USC. If anything, his bigger issue imho is his release, but that's much more coachable - if he stops rocking back on his heels occasionally he'll get even better there.

Third, and this is maybe the most important thing - he was catching balls from Slovis. This guy...is awful. Not going to get more into that - receivers have bad QBs hucking them the rock all the time, right? - but I bring this up because WRs have been underrated and mislabeled coming out of USC for a while because of Slovis. Take a look at the scouting reports for two very different receivers that came out the last two years and have quickly become top 25 WRs for their respective teams. Tell me what you see.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/amon-ra-st-brown/32005354-4241-5291-a564-57e98d35161d

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/michael-pittman/32005049-5422-8050-a8f8-f5210135a4b3

Hmmm...separation issues, you say? Well, turns out that having an inaccurate QB who can't throw with anticipation to save his life will make your life a lot harder. USC tried to mitigate that by also getting London the ball earlier - everything from screens and slants to even jet sweeps, and he does admittedly excel at getting YAC - but the QB was a huge issue limiting him, yet he managed to have obscene production in his 8 games starting this year.

Gonna link this video from Voch - I know some probably think I hate Voch because some on TATF take his word as gospel, I actually enjoy listening to him from time to time and I found his chat with Cowherd during our draft pick very interesting.

Skip to 1:02:20 for they key tidbit from Cowherd. USC staff thinks he's going to be better than Pittman or St. Brown, both of whom were even better than their draft status, both of whom were rolling out the gate. And I agree. He's straight up more talented and has an impeccable work ethic.

In this next video, Palmer talks a little bit about how he cares for the nuance of the game, and by now I'm guessing nearly everyone has watched the video highlighting his ability where he excels as a blocker. He's an all around WR, and he's 20 years old with the drive to be the best.

That's pretty much it from me - take it as you will, I could be wrong. But I think London was far and away the best WR this class (only Jameson Williams was close, and the injury is admittedly scarier than London's ankle to me) and I think the route running and separation criticisms are way overblown. This dude isn't ******* LaQuon Treadwell. Do a little digging and you'll be a lot happier with the pick. Here's to working on the defense some Day 2...lol.

Also - I get the speed criticisms in terms of acceleration (he ain't Jameson Williams), he's more quick than fast. But speed not being his strength doesn't make it his weakness imho. So as a parting shot...

FRewB2kXwAM2h3D?format=jpg&name=large

Just now, dcfalcons said:

LMFAO!!!!!

It is a pretty good meme.  But still...I am happy the Falcons did not reach and get a player. This guy fits the Falcons offensive scheme and should produce immediately.  However, I would not have frown had they drafted OT Cross.

If I thought ATL needed to pick WR at 8, I would have drafted Williams. But  London has 1st round talent,  I'm not going to argue against your lengthy and energetic defense of him.

Being the #8 pick should raise the expectations bar a bit higher than being a "top 25 WR." The only way teams escape drafting in the top-10 is by identifying the elite talent that is available when they're drafting. 

6 minutes ago, ShoNuff said:

It is a pretty good meme.  But still...I am happy the Falcons did not reach and get a player. This guy fits the Falcons offensive scheme and should produce immediately.  However, I would not have frown had they drafted OT Cross.

I'd have taken Cross over him or Hamilton .. or trade down.  A lot of kool-aid being consumed right now, but hey, that's what 'real fans' do.  God forbid you don't agree or like a pick.

1 minute ago, dcfalcons said:

I'd have taken Cross over him or Hamilton .. or trade down.  A lot of kool-aid being consumed right now, but hey, that's what 'real fans' do.  God forbid you don't agree or like a pick.

I forgot to mention Hamilton.  Since the GM has been saying they will draft the best player on the board, I thought (in my opinion) he was the best player left. But, it appears the Falcons could not pass up on a WR they had a high grade on and also fits their scheme.  So....I can not complain about the pick, especially looking some extended film on him.

5 minutes ago, dcfalcons said:

Unfortunately, Cross got ruled out when they extended Matthews. In an alternate universe, it would have been a strategy to leave Matthews contract alone, replace him with Cross, and then clear him off the books in 2023. 

I wasn't a fan of the position since WR is a need but I think we need to fortify our trenches... but the guy is good... maybe great and we will see... the more info I read about london the more I like him... If we get away with 3 D players and one good OL today.. I will be really happy with the pick and the strategy TF used... lets see.. go falcons..

33 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

We have runningbacks?

🤔

LOL....LOL.....well, at this time the RB room is not all that.  But maybe that will be address tonight, tomorrow, or a steal as an undrafted free agent.  Or, perhaps the Falcons will "take it on the chin" and buy one next off-season with all that cash available.  But yes, the RB situation is not looking good.

Edited by ShoNuff

• Francis York Morgan changed the title to Had enough of the Drake London's route running/separation *libel