Will the Falcons take a QB today? Rank'em

With all but Pickett still on the board, I was curious to hear some thoughts on which QB would you want to take at 43 or 58 if the Falcons go there.   

For me the choice order would be as I could stomach any of these guys.

1. Howell (43)
  2. Willis (43)
  3. Ridder (58)
  4. Corral (58)
  5. Zappe (58)
  6. Strong (58)

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

If we trade up, Willis.
If we stay put and take one at 43, Ridder.
If we stay put and take one at 58, Corral.

I think Willis goes to Seattle if we don't trade up but I could also see the Vikings, Giants, Titans and Texans taking him at this point as a project.

I'm agreeing with you.  I say stay put and maybe Ridder will be there at 43, if not keep the train moving and take what you need.

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

It wasn't #8 so everyone should be happy. The overall general consensus was no QB at 8. Ya got what ya wanted 

I might have missed some conversations as I haven't been on the board much lately so I can't speak to the "everyone" sentiment.  #8 is settled business.   I was just curious what others thought here in the 2nd round.   TF said we would be adding to the QB room so I felt that with so many potentially good prospects, I'd come of my shell and ask the board their thoughts.   I have my favorites but I will support whatever team is on the field this fall.

4 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I might have missed some conversations as I haven't been on the board much lately so I can't speak to the "everyone" sentiment.  #8 is settled business.   I was just curious what others thought here in the 2nd round.   TF said we would be adding to the QB room so I felt that with so many potentially good prospects, I'd come of my shell and ask the board their thoughts.   I have my favorites but I will support whatever team is on the field this fall.

You don't have to explain anything. I know what your post means. Knowing this site, I'm prematurely responding to the responses you will receive. 

Whatever you do, don't mind me at all. I'm just enjoying the day

18 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

With all but Pickett still on the board, I was curious to hear some thoughts on which QB would you want to take at 43 or 58 if the Falcons go there.   

For me the choice order would be as I could stomach any of these guys.

1. Howell (43)
  2. Willis (43)
  3. Ridder (58)
  4. Corral (58)
  5. Zappe (58)
  6. Strong (58)

I'd take any except the last three

If they wanted a QB they would've taken one yesterday, I see Ridder being a possibility in the third round, maybe a guy like Bailey Zappe in the 5th. Aside from that I expect us to go defensive line and probably running back in round 2. Round 3 I'm unsure of. 

3 minutes ago, TsuTsu said:

If they wanted a QB they would've taken one yesterday, I see Ridder being a possibility in the third round, maybe a guy like Bailey Zappe in the 5th. Aside from that I expect us to go defensive line and probably running back in round 2. Round 3 I'm unsure of. 

Taking a QB at 8 to sit behind Mariota is not good value.  They appear to have been all-in on London so they weren't going to trade back and trading up for a QB would have been a bad choice...especially in hindsight unless they had Kenny Pickett at the top of their board.

25 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

If we trade up, Willis.
If we stay put and take one at 43, Ridder.
If we stay put and take one at 58, Corral.

I think Willis goes to Seattle if we don't trade up but I could also see the Vikings, Giants, Titans and Texans taking him at this point as a project.

Ridder is my QB1, but I’m more comfortable in the 2nd either taking a flyer on Willis or waiting for Corral to fall. 

As I’ve been saying, I like any of the top 5 in the 2nd better than any one of them at 8. So I’m good whatever we do (and I’m good passing on one entirely). 

1 minute ago, Monolith2001 said:

Taking a QB at 8 to sit behind Mariota is not good value.  They appear to have been all-in on London so they weren't going to trade back and trading up for a QB would have been a bad choice...especially in hindsight unless they had Kenny Pickett at the top of their board.

Trading back up to have the advantage of that 5th year option is never a bad choice imo, especially if you'd take a QB early in the 2nd round. If they have a QB graded as a 3rd rounder or later then that certainly wouldn't be worth trading up for. 

3 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

The more I watch him, the more I like Sam Howell.  He's a scrapper.  Got some Flutie in him.  The kid is a leader.  That's a strong character trait I like.

You nailed it.   I get the Willis upside but I have watched so much Sam Howell and he gets his hands dirty and does whatever he has to.  People say 2021 was his down year but I watched all those games and he put that team on his back and he elevated that team.  After the opener, he realized he didn't have what he had the year before and he played a lot of hero ball because he wanted to win.  He is arguably the most successful of all the 2022 QBs in terms of yards and TDs per season.  I want that!  I'm tired of finesse Falcons, I want a guy who brings his lunch in a rusty box.   

Willis is just unproven but heck of an athlete and if someone can harness it, I see Deshaun Watson or prime RG3.   Ridder has a good amount of production as does Corral.   Didn't love Corral's Wonderlic score but maybe he just had a bad test day...who knows how much that crap matters but when projecting, you consider it all.  Strong is a stronger armed Kenny Pickett with medical issues and Baily Zappe is the big project.

Hmmm I'd hope the Edge types keep sliding, and depending on who takes a qb before 43. Titans, Giants, Seahawks and Texans could all be looking for an upgrade before us and that could pretty much wipe out the QB class. I think AS is high on Howell so he could be the pick at 43, but if he's gone and Ridder isn't the target, then go DL/DE. If both Ridder and Howell are still available though at 43, I'd still go DL/DE and then trade back up with pick 58. Give up 58 and swap the 74th pick with Baltimore's or Washington's 4th rounder (gotta jump NO).

Regardless, I gotta go DT/DE at 43.

Kind of subjective for me.  I like particular traits in QBs.  I grew up watching Phil Simms, Doug Flutie, and Montana.  None of them had an all world howitzer arm, but we're accurate and could make the throws.  I like gritty, and leaders.  That's Howell and Corral for me.  They are closer to ready to play than Willis, who has the superior physical aspects.   Honestly, it's a roll of the dice with any if them.

7 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Kind of subjective for me.  I like particular traits in QBs.  I grew up watching Phil Simms, Doug Flutie, and Montana.  None of them had an all world howitzer arm, but we're accurate and could make the throws.  I like gritty, and leaders.  That's Howell and Corral for me.  They are closer to ready to play than Willis, who has the superior physical aspects.   Honestly, it's a roll of the dice with any if them.

Gasp!

On one play he did...

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

I remember that play.  That right there made my day.  Always liked Flutie, felt he got a really ****ty hand dealt to him by the NFL.  

The league wasn't ready for that style of play. You had to stand in the pocket and get hammered every play or you couldn't be a QB. Then everyone wondered why guys like Bart had such short careers.