Atlanta Falcons to add to QB room regardless of NFL draft outcome | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports

I hate how Florio just assumes Rich McKay is the actual GM of this team.. he does this terrible "guessing" every time he talks about the Falcons. I highly doubt thats the case, solely based on obviously McKay's experience as a GM was drastically different from the TD approach for the past 15 years.. I think maybe Blank has some say, but whatever choice we go with tonight is probably TF and AS's decision. 

I also disagree Mariota is not even a short term option.. I think the biggest problem with Mariota is his health, thats why we need a decent backup cause he cant last 17 games, but I feel confident he can give us a decent one or two years as a starter. Hes not that bad, he's also had time to learn since being benched in TEN (he looked good in OAK)

Edited by Snowen

6 minutes ago, Snowen said:

I hate how Florio just assumes Rich McKay is the actual GM of this team.. he does this terrible "guessing" every time he talks about the Falcons. I highly doubt thats the case, solely based on obviously McKay's experience as a GM was drastically different from the TD approach for the past 15 years.. I think maybe Blank has some say, but whatever choice we go with tonight is probably TF and AS's decision. 

I also disagree Mariota is not even a short term option.. I think the biggest problem with Mariota is his health, thats why we need a decent backup cause he cant last 17 games, but I feel confident he can give us a decent one or two years as a starter. Hes not that bad, he's also had time to learn since being benched in TEN (he looked good in OAK)

hes 100% on point though with Arthur Blank meddling for the sake of making an extra buck

7 minutes ago, Snowen said:

Yeah, I don't have a problem with Mariota running the show until they get a  QB to take the reigns. Just make sure that it is the right guy you get.

25 minutes ago, Snowen said:

I BEEN saying McKay is the actual GM. NFL people are fully aware that McKay is in charge of major personnel decisions. One FACT to prove that is him hiring HIS head coach before hiring a GM.

6 minutes ago, falcndave said:

How do you know this?

sure, you can play the "im not in the room, so I have no idea card" but the desean watson play seemed pretty transparent AB getting left at the altar once again

I like Mariota on face. If he stays healthy I’m all in for the next year or so. I also think that he’s going to play like he has something to prove. If we draft a QB, that’s cool, nobody we draft will be as good day 1 as Mariota so we’ll call it a future plan. 

And no matter if a pick is my favorite or not I’ll be rooting for anyone on our hat. Given the way things went this winter we could have done a lot worse.  He’ll be fine.  

20 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Yeah, I don't have a problem with Mariota running the show until they get a  QB to take the reigns. Just make sure that it is the right guy you get.

They could've done that last season by having Ryan tutor his replacement. They did this backwards. Now they have a class of quarterbacks to choose from with more questions about their ability than last year's group. I'm more in favor of trading back in this draft and taking a quarterback next season.

1 minute ago, Spts1 said:

They could've done that last season by having Ryan tutor his replacement. They did this backwards. Now they have a class of quarterbacks to choose from with more questions about their ability than last year's group. I'm more in favor of trading back in this draft and taking a quarterback next season.

I agree that they should have traded MR last offseason, but that is the past. We must look forward to the future. The milk is spilt. Time to quit crying.

10 minutes ago, Romfal said:

sure, you can play the "im not in the room, so I have no idea card" but the desean watson play seemed pretty transparent AB getting left at the altar once again

I don't see the Watson thing as being that kind of thing. I think it was just a case of the golden goose, for all parties involved (marketing, talent, youth), walking up to the door and saying "let me in."  If AB had mandated that, I don't think they wouldn't have let him walk at the end, they would have matched Cleveland's sweeteners. 

I absolutely think Blank cares more about marketing than AS and TF and takes, at the very least, a "all things being equal, take the marketable guy" approach. That is part of the reason I expect at least one UGA player to be drafted. They are arguably going to be among the BPA when we pick, and they are great for marketing. It is a true win win. It will make my eyes roll, but I'll let out a sigh and be glad we picked up some talent and helped AB pay the bills. 

He's right.  We literally have "one hang nail away from missing the season" Mariota, and Felipe Franks as our QBs.  Nothing on the practice squad, and nothing in as far as competition.  They will sign two more if we don't draft one.  Got to think we have a practice squad player as well.  Got to be some FA vet QB's knocking around not named McCarron or Rosen.

9 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Facts. They should have got his replacement last year.