G-Day Game Discussion Thread.

SacFalcFan

I just had a chance to watch it and saw some nice stuff from some players.  Here is my personal breakdown (would welcome some others comments):

1.  Arik Gilbert is the freaking real deal and we knew that after his freshman season, but seeing him and the plays he made just excites me on what he can do in this offseason.  Delp is a heck of an addition as well.  We have the best TE room of any team and maybe the best ever with washington, gilbert, bowers, delp, and even seither who i think can transfer and compete for a starting job elsewhere.  That isn't hyperbole regarding having the best TE room ever.  We are also not slowing down in recruiting TEs either.

2.  Jalon Walker is ready to go.  He looks the part and made some nice plays.  I am really excited about him making plays right away this year. 

3.  Beck looks to be the clear #2 right behind Stetson and I would not be surprised to see Brock transfer.  Beck had some great throws and really seemed to be in command.  He is very capable IMO of stepping in if he needed to.  Stetson should continue to improve.  People forget last year was Stetson's first full year under center at Georgia.  He should get better this year as well. 

4.  Dominique Blaylock being back is freaking huge.  Blaylock looked awesome and it was also great to see Arian come back as well.  We may still need to add a WR in the transfer portal, but we getting those guys back and a healthy kearis jackson who had a nice catch is very important to an offense that should be humming along this year. 

5.  Defensively we are stout on the dline.. Stackhouse, Brinson, Carter, and Logue should have some great success this year.  They were making some nice plays on saturday.  Carter was being double teamed on every play.  He should get used to that since teams are going to do everything to slow him down. 

6.  Punting is in good hands and I thought overall our kickers did well.  

7.  Defensively we lost a lot, but due to our rotations we have a lot of guys who return a lot of snaps and experience.  Our dline is in great shape with nolan smith, carter, and the group.  We are going to have some growing pains at lb and our secondary especially opposite ringo, but with everette and starks coming on and doing well early on should provide some big dividends later in the year.  The key is getting past Oregon with so many new starters.  Our offense must be the leader this year especially early on. 

great synopsis, Sac.

I will add a few things:

• Daijun Edwards had a really nice day - his role will likely be larger than most in fanbase anticipate - he is really good.
  • thought Nyland Green had some sticky coverage at times
  • to piggyback - Dom Blaylock was always open and his QB was looking for him almost every play - he seems to be all the way back
  • Kendall Milton had a really nice "splash play" and diving for goal line TD
  • back to Arik Gilbert, they said he played at 265lbs yesterday - he looked good at that weight - I don't believe he needs to drop much more - his body can easily carry 255 and be plenty agile.  No sense in dropping more than 10 more.

I could also agree w/ Sac that BVG could end up the "odd man out" if Carson Beck stays.   Carson is clearly #2 and he could serve his apprenticeship and be the likely starter in 2023 - one year starter and then gone.     Gunner has no expectations this year so he's not going anywhere.

I doubt BVG goes anywhere this year but in 2023 he is likely to leave if he thinks he isn't presumed starter.    Arch Manning also possibly looms on the horizon

On 4/18/2022 at 3:14 PM, g-dawg said:

back to Arik Gilbert, they said he played at 265lbs yesterday - he looked good at that weight - I don't believe he needs to drop much more - his body can easily carry 255 and be plenty agile.  No sense in dropping more than 10 more.

Well, he was around 250lbs coming out of high school. I'm thinking they're probably gonna use him similar to the way Florida used Kyle Pitts. Something made him want to play TE again. Especially with less WRs than last season.

10 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Well, he was around 250lbs coming out of high school. I'm thinking they're probably gonna use him similar to the way Florida used Kyle Pitts. Something made him want to play TE again. Especially with less WRs than last season.

well it's hard to come into camp at 300lbs and say "coach I wanna play WR" - :D