Rest of League First Round Thread

Expert Poster

Jazz beat the Mavs in game 1. Will be interesting to see how long Luka is out. 

This Grizz-Twolves series looks like it will be entertaining. I think there could be double digit technical fouls in it. Probably the two biggest trash-talking teams in the league going at it. 

Sixers-Raptors and Warriors-Nuggets later tonight. 

Tomorrow's non-Hawks games:

Celtics-Nets

Bucks-Bulls

Suns-Pelicans

2 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Minn put up 130 on the Grizz!

To me, that series is the hardest to predict besides ours. Grizzlies had a great regular season but I just don't know if I buy them in the playoffs. Ja doesn't seem to have the same killer instinct as Trae, and his outside shot isn't very good, so his isos are usually just use him getting downhill and hoping there's not much resistance or that he can induce a foul call. Not sure that's going to work on this stage. 

Road teams are now 2-0. Hope that trend holds through tomorrow afternoon!

21 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

To me, that series is the hardest to predict besides ours. Grizzlies had a great regular season but I just don't know if I buy them in the playoffs. Ja doesn't seem to have the same killer instinct as Trae, and his outside shot isn't very good, so his isos are usually just use him getting downhill and hoping there's not much resistance or that he can induce a foul call. Not sure that's going to work on this stage. 

Road teams are now 2-0. Hope that trend holds through tomorrow afternoon!

Minnesota is a scary team and they are extremely confident!

4 hours ago, Expert Poster said:

Jazz beat the Mavs in game 1. Will be interesting to see how long Luka is out. 

This Grizz-Twolves series looks like it will be entertaining. I think there could be double digit technical fouls in it. Probably the two biggest trash-talking teams in the league going at it. 

Sixers-Raptors and Warriors-Nuggets later tonight. 

Tomorrow's non-Hawks games:

Celtics-Nets

Bucks-Bulls

Suns-Pelicans

Doesn’t it seem Luka is always hurt come playoff time.?

I really liked Poole coming out of Michigan and would’ve liked the Hawks to take him, but I ain’t even mad he’s on the warriors. I don’t think he would have developed to who he is now if he was on the hawks. Boi is a certified Splash Cousin right now. Suns should be on high alert of the warriors. 

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I really liked Poole coming out of Michigan and would’ve liked the Hawks to take him, but I ain’t even mad he’s on the warriors. I don’t think he would have developed to who he is now if he was on the hawks. Boi is a certified Splash Cousin right now. Suns should be on high alert of the warriors. 

Barring a major injury, it really looks like the WCF is destined to be Suns-Warriors. That has the makings for a memorable series. 

4 hours ago, DirtybyrdGA said:

Nuggets are unraveling I see... the MVP may be out already.

I don’t think it’s necessarily them unraveling, but more so the Warriors are catching fire at the right time. The warriors playing the way they are would be killing all but a few teams right now. 

The Nuggets just don't really have the horses to compete in that series. Didn't really understand why some in the media thought that would be a close one.

Part of the reason Jokic's season was so impressive is because he basically had to carry a bunch of role players into the playoffs. Their second and third best players have been out all year. 

At time of posting, KD and Kyrie are shooting a combined 26.7% from the field. This is what I meant when I said the Celtics defense is going to be huge against the Nets. Celtics playing like a team that might make it to the finals, and possibly even win it all. 

3 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

At time of posting, KD and Kyrie are shooting a combined 26.7% from the field. This is what I meant when I said the Celtics defense is going to be huge against the Nets. Celtics playing like a team that might make it to the finals, and possibly even win it all. 

Great defense from the Celtics, but also a complete collapse from the Nets. They had 90 points going into the 4th. Even when KD and Kyrie do get decent looks, they're bricking them. 

1 minute ago, Expert Poster said:

Great defense from the Celtics, but also a complete collapse from the Nets. They had 90 points going into the 4th. Even when KD and Kyrie do get decent looks, they're bricking them. 

I only got to watch the second half, but even the decent looks they got were still contested. Celtics making it tough for them. They're making the "others" beat them and those guys just can't do it for all 4 quarters. I think if anything it was a defensive collapse, but I don't know how much weight that statement carries considering it's not like the Nets have a good defense to begin with. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I only got to watch the second half, but even the decent looks they got were still contested. Celtics making it tough for them. They're making the "others" beat them and those guys just can't do it for all 4 quarters. I think if anything it was a defensive collapse, but I don't know how much weight that statement carries considering it's not like the Nets have a good defense to begin with. 

I watched from the 2nd quarter on. The Celtics struggled in the first half, but definitely ramped up the intensity in the second half. The only thing that's really surprised me so far is how off balance they've gotten Durant playing. He's visibly flustered in a way that you don't really expect a 15-year vet superstar to get. He's having as rough of a series as Trae so far. 

But it's a testament to how dangerous KD and Kyrie are that they were not blown out tonight, and lost on a buzzer beater in game 1. The Celtics are playing amazing defense and still only squeaking out wins so far. 

Edited by Expert Poster

7 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

I watched from the 2nd quarter on. The Celtics struggled in the first half, but definitely ramped up the intensity in the second half. The only thing that's really surprised me so far is how off balance they've gotten Durant playing. He's visibly flustered in a way that you don't really expect a 15-year vet superstar to get. He's having as rough of a series as Trae so far. 

But it's a testament to how dangerous KD and Kyrie are that they were not blown out tonight, and lost on a buzzer beater in game 1. The Celtics are playing amazing defense and still only squeaking out wins so far. 

Durant doesn’t even look like himself out there. 

13 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

I agree that it was a bit concerning that it felt the Celtics dominated the 3rd quarter but were still down 5. However, if Kyrie and KD do get their groove there’s no guarantee the role players keep playing as well as they have. Dragic has been huge to start the series and Brown had over 20 points when he averages 9 on the season. The role players shot great in game 1 as well collectively. Right now down the stretch the difference seems to be the Celtics playing great team ball while the nets are playing “me” ball with KD and Kyrie running isos and it’s not working for the nets. 

2 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I agree that it was a bit concerning that it felt the Celtics dominated the 3rd quarter but were still down 5. However, if Kyrie and KD do get their groove there’s no guarantee the role players keep playing as well as they have. Dragic has been huge to start the series and Brown had over 20 points when he averages 9 on the season. The role players shot great in game 1 as well collectively. Right now down the stretch the difference seems to be the Celtics playing great team ball while the nets are playing “me” ball with KD and Kyrie running isos and it’s not working for the nets. 

The Celtics are definitely the more complete team and have more margin for error. There are a lot of ways they can win, whereas the Nets cannot win without one or both of their two best players having spectacular games. The Celtics are the logical bet to win this series (both before it started and obviously even more now). But I do think the mere presence of KD and Kyrie just about ensures that the Celtics will not be able to coast in these games. 

My guess is the Celtics win it in 6, but it's a funny series in that the Celtics could sweep with a total point differential of like +20 or under. 

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Man I had raptors in 7 but they’re gon get swept lol. Vanfleet has been awful all 3 games. Didn’t realize he’s actually been shooting terribly since March.

Yeah, I was leaning Raptors as well. Definitely surprised with how that one has developed. I guess sometimes it's as simple as one team having the better top-end talent. 

1 hour ago, Expert Poster said:

Brutal. That series just got a lot tighter, and the Celtics are now licking their lips. 

My bucks warriors finals prediction no longer looking great, and it was that way even before the injury with how the bucks were playing. Warriors Celtics could be a great matchup if that happens with what could be the best offense vs the best defense in the league. 

13 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Man I had raptors in 7 but they’re gon get swept lol. Vanfleet has been awful all 3 games. Didn’t realize he’s actually been shooting terribly since March.

Bro what? You had the Raptors winning that series? Why?

I had the Sixers winning that series in 5. Looks like it might be a sweep. Raps don't have the horses to compete with the Sixers.