How would DW have made this team better?

Seriously just wondering how trading years of draft capitol to obtain a qb would have helped the franchise? We had a QB. QB wasn't our missing piece, it was our only piece.

Not trying to open wounds but am I the only one that feels like we dodged a bullet? DW would have ensured that we would have no real way to build a roster around him without years worth of high picks.

1 minute ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

He wouldn't have, it was just purely a PR move, just creating false hope. This team has a lot better chance of growing and becoming competitive with Mariota than with DW.

Exactly how I felt about it. Wad glad when we didn't get him. It cost us MR but noone knows what might come of that.

2 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Exactly how I felt about it. Wad glad when we didn't get him. It cost us MR but noone knows what might come of that.

I hated to lose Matt, if we had to, Im glad we got to keep all our picks and we aren't strapped by another big contract. I'll take the picks, Mariota , and the money we will have freed up over DW. We got a real shot at injecting a lot of young talent and other good player's this year and next. There's no telling what this young crop this year may do, that I can be interested in watching.

All other things being equal:

He would have closed 5-7 additional first downs per game, this would have resulted in at least 3 fewer punts per game, possibly more.  He would have completed 6+ additional passes per game.  He would have made pass rush less of a factor.  Worst case scenario, all other things being equal we have at least 1 more red zone opportunity per game.  

He would add 50-75 additional rush yards per game.

Houston Texans had the worst O line in the NFL in 2019 and 2020, significantly worse than ours.  Watson's excessive performance on the field was ALL despite having the weakest protection in the NFL for 2 of his 3 years.  3 consecutive Pro Bowls don't lie. 

Free agents of game day significance would follow him to Atlanta, that hasn't happened in my lifetime.  When a player has a choice where they can go, they want to go where they can win because wins extend their career and increase their value.

We would have beaten the Saints and the Bucs and the Panthers in the same season.

Fan attendance would have increased.

We wouldn't have to get blown out by the Cleveland Browns.

Hard to say for certain but higher likelihood of MNF and SNF and TNF games instead of noon, non-televised games. 

16 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

All other things being equal:

He would have closed 5-7 additional first downs per game, this would have resulted in at least 3 fewer punts per game, possibly more.  He would have completed 6+ additional passes per game.  He would have made pass rush less of a factor.  Worst case scenario, all other things being equal we have at least 1 more red zone opportunity per game.  

He would add 50-75 additional rush yards per game.

Houston Texans had the worst O line in the NFL in 2019 and 2020, significantly worse than ours.  Watson's excessive performance on the field was ALL despite having the weakest protection in the NFL for 2 of his 3 years.  3 consecutive Pro Bowls don't lie. 

Free agents of game day significance would follow him to Atlanta, that hasn't happened in my lifetime.  When a player has a choice where they can go, they want to go where they can win because wins extend their career and increase their value.

We would have beaten the Saints and the Bucs and the Panthers in the same season.

Fan attendance would have increased.

We wouldn't have to get blown out by the Cleveland Browns.

Hard to say for certain but higher likelihood of MNF and SNF and TNF games instead of noon, non-televised games. 

Not buying it. Qb was literally the one position we were good. Claiming DW would throw for more yardage every game? Lol. Come on dude.

Fielding a team of 2nd and 3rd day picks around him? Absolute franchise killer

I am jealous of the optimism though

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

Why just say that he wouldn't have? Why make a thread when you genuinely don't care and won't be convinced by anything anyone could tell you suggesting that he would?

Why give such a useless response? It must make you feel superior? Don't like It? Don't read it. 

You don't know me or what I care about dude. Unlike the hivemind of the left I am able to change my mind based on new evidence.

If you're still butt hurt about the topic then you're not obligated to spread your "wisdom".

20 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Not buying it. Qb was literally the one position we were good. Claiming DW would throw for more yardage every game? Lol. Come on dude.

Fielding a team of 2nd and 3rd day picks around him? Absolute franchise killer

I am jealous of the optimism though

We played the Texans in 2019. 
And yeah, I know it’s not a fair comparison. But Watson out passed us by 100 yards 2 more TD and 1 fewer Int. Just one game but it’s a start. He rushed 47 yards, the entire Falcons including Freeman rushed 57. 
Again, I know it’s not an even comparison. But if you’re asking how that 1 player makes a difference this is how. 
As a Falcon fan I have to make my own optimism. 

Hey, we will be fine. Go Falcons 

3 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

We played the Texans in 2019. 
And yeah, I know it’s not a fair comparison. But Watson out passed us by 100 yards 2 more TD and 1 fewer Int. Just one game but it’s a start. He rushed 47 yards, the entire Falcons including Freeman rushed 57. 
Again, I know it’s not an even comparison. But if you’re asking how that 1 player makes a difference this is how. 
As a Falcon fan I have to make my own optimism. 

Hey, we will be fine. Go Falcons 

**** you may be right. He would have been exciting but I think that's about it.

You have a good point about being able to bring players in. 

If Ryan wins a ring in 2016 we might have seen more of that.

I freely accept we can’t know the future. We also can’t know whether his legal/civil issues get worse or better for him and how that would impact the team and brand. 

And with that risk in mind and given the extreme cost he got from Cleveland I think passing on him was the right move. I’m just playing along with the thread topic, what ifs. 

So the flip side is if we didn’t court him in the first place we’d still have Ryan (assumption) and the draft and FA needs would be different too. 

Offseason madness. 

2 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

I freely accept we can’t know the future. We also can’t know whether his legal/civil issues get worse or better for him and how that would impact the team and brand. 

And with that risk in mind and given the extreme cost he got from Cleveland I think passing on him was the right move. I’m just playing along with the thread topic, what ifs. 

So the flip side is if we didn’t court him in the first place we’d still have Ryan (assumption) and the draft and FA needs would be different too. 

Offseason madness. 

Yeah but I'm o.k. with Matt getting a few last shots with a contender. As long as he comes back as our QB coach (Tom Brady OC).

Honestly hoped the DW deal would fall through. I've already seen the 2006 Atlanta Falcons once. Lol.

Honestly it all worked out best for everyone imo