Jump to content

Braves Spring Training


Unknøwn
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

It is what is,

How far apart were they where they couldn't resign Freddie?

We don't know any details yet. With Freeman still a FA nobody can talk about it. We'll learn more once he decides. Still the biggest rumored hangup was years. Braves wouldn't go over 5 years and probably around $140M. Freeman was pretty firm with his desire for a 6th year, reportedly. With Freeman being 32 right now it raised a lot of questions. Do you lock him him at nearly $30M through age 38 season? Or go with a younger, rising star at 1B and hope he hits his prime as a Brave. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

We don't know any details yet. With Freeman still a FA nobody can talk about it. We'll learn more once he decides. Still the biggest rumored hangup was years. Braves wouldn't go over 5 years and probably around $140M. Freeman was pretty firm with his desire for a 6th year, reportedly. With Freeman being 32 right now it raised a lot of questions. Do you lock him him at nearly $30M through age 38 season? Or go with a younger, rising star at 1B and hope he hits his prime as a Brave. 

If he has three more Freeman-type seasons, nobody cares. We can always deal him after the 2024 season if we're worried about age-creep or bat speed.

Meanwhile, the counterpoint is that Nelson Cruz just got paid another $15 million at the age of 41. He had an OPS over 1 in his age 38 season...and then finished 6th in MVP voting in his age 39 season. Since he was 23,

Freddie's lowest OPS was .841 (!), and that was all the way back in 2015. A team is just looking for future problems if it worries about Freddie Freeman will be like in 2028 more than what he'll do in 2022-2024.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jidady said:

If he has three more Freeman-type seasons, nobody cares. We can always deal him after the 2024 season if we're worried about age-creep or bat speed.

Meanwhile, the counterpoint is that Nelson Cruz just got paid another $15 million at the age of 41. He had an OPS over 1 in his age 38 season...and then finished 6th in MVP voting in his age 39 season. Since he was 23,

Freddie's lowest OPS was .841 (!), and that was all the way back in 2015. A team is just looking for future problems if it worries about Freddie Freeman will be like in 2028 more than what he'll do in 2022-2024.

I would have signed him for 6. Judging by AA's reaction today I think he was shot down by his bosses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

I would have signed him for 6. Judging by AA's reaction today I think he was shot down by his bosses

Yeah, if we lose AA in a couple of years, it's going to be because of what happened with the budget last year and this. He's got to be harboring some grudges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Yeah, if we lose AA in a couple of years, it's going to be because of what happened with the budget last year and this. He's got to be harboring some grudges.

I'd like to hear the whole story first. Reports I heard was the Atlanta was willing to go 6. They presented several packages to Freeman, including 6-year ones. 

I think it's fair to blame the Braves for not locking up Freeman last off-season. But once a player gets to free agency, all bets are off. I'm guessing he has a lot of forces pulling him in ways that don't necessarily take him to Atlanta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, falconsd56 said:

What is Soroka's status for the beginning of the year? Is he doing any workouts?

DOB said the Braves won't be updating him. They don't want to put any pressure or timetable on him. There's some thoughts he's probably out until 2023. It takes 12 months to come back from one ACL. This is two. He said he spoke with the medical expert from "The Athletic" and he guessed 18 months of recovery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...