UGA Basketball HC Search

Unknøwn

30 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

it was one of the worst games I have seen as a dawg fan in basketball.. the team quit and staff has as well.. now we get to see what brooks wants with the bball program. 

I tried watching every game I could.. never could stomach watching more than a half. Horrible product.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:39 AM, Unknøwn said:

6 wins at a P5 school is just atrocious. There's really no way around it. 

Which means he went 5-8 with a cupcake non-conference schedule. 

Five wins over FIU, SC State, Memphis, Jacksonville, and Western Carolina. Hindsight being 20/20, those teams should be embarrassed by those losses. 

Among the 8 losses were losses to Wofford, Northwestern, East Tennessee State, Gardner-Webb, and George Mason. 

One conference win over Alabama, a 6 point win at Stegeman. 

This team had not a signature win but a signature LOSS. A two point loss to a great Auburn team. That’s how bad it was. That was their best game!

By many accounts, this has been labeled the worst season ever by a D1 power five conference team in HISTORY.  With the above resume I tend to believe it. 

Edited by ALERT

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

UGA alum and Xavier AHC Jonas Hayes has some support among boosters and others but Brooks is said to be resisting so far. He'd like to pull on an experienced HC with a proven track record 

He just fired a guy that came to Athens with those exact qualifications….

How about a young guy not too far removed from a college playing career that can relate to today’s athletes who is hungry with a clear vision and plan of what needs to be accomplished?

If you were seeking an experienced head coach with a good track record, why not look at Ron Hunter, former Georgia State HC? His Tulane record notwithstanding, he knows the metro Atlanta recruiting scene and built the Panther program to what it is today. He relates to the kids and has a great personality and disposition. I think he’s a good guy that could bring a sense of calm and excitement to the program. 

Edited by ALERT

25 minutes ago, ALERT said:

How about a young guy not too far removed from a college playing career that can relate to today’s athletes who is hungry with a clear vision and plan of what needs to be accomplished?

If you were seeking an experienced head coach with a good track record, why not look at Ron Hunter, former Georgia State HC? His Tulane record notwithstanding, he knows the metro Atlanta recruiting scene and built the Panther program to what it is today. He relates to the kids and has a great personality and disposition. I think he’s a good guy that could bring a sense of calm and excitement to the program. 

The Dawgs need someone that can actually keep the state of GA top recruits....regularly.

45 minutes ago, ALERT said:

Hayes is known to be a really good recruiter. He's obviously extremely familiar with Athens and the program. He was an assistant for Mark Fox so hes been player and coach at UGA. I think Brooks is going to swing for a big, splashy move first. It may end up being Hayes but I think they want to look for a big fish first. There has been some former players publicly lobbying for Hayes too. Most notable, JJ Frazier and KCP. 

7 minutes ago, reggiestokes said:

The Dawgs need someone that can actually keep the state of GA top recruits....regularly.

yep and hunter isn't that guy.. a big difference with ga state and a P5 program.. also please no Jonas.. heck western carolina told him no.. I love the Hayes brothers.. Great guys, but we need a coach who can recruit and there are a number of guys who are head coaches who were great recruiters before they became head coaches.. We need a guy who can turn around programs as well.  There are some pretty nice options out there.. 

4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

yep and hunter isn't that guy.. a big difference with ga state and a P5 program.. also please no Jonas.. heck western carolina told him no.. I love the Hayes brothers.. Great guys, but we need a coach who can recruit and there are a number of guys who are head coaches who were great recruiters before they became head coaches.. We need a guy who can turn around programs as well.  There are some pretty nice options out there.. 

I think that's the thought. Theres some questions about whether Hayes is ready to run a program at that level. UGA is going to be a tough rebuild. 

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

I think that's the thought. Theres some questions about whether Hayes is ready to run a program at that level. UGA is going to be a tough rebuild. 

I believe the staff jonas is on might be fired this offseason so he could be available and brought back to UGA in an assistant role depending on who Josh hires.. There are a few coaches who are friends with Jonas who would bring him down in a heartbeat due to his ties to some AAU squads.. Jonas is a heck of a guy and a terrific recruiter, but he has zero head coaching experience and if we do end up hiring him it's because we missed out on all of our top options.. I know a few names out there are guys like McMahon for instance and I am sure of him being a great pick.  Murray State coaches tend to move on after success and not do a lot.  Is the success more about the program then the coach?  Not sure.  I wouldn't be upset if he was the hire, but then it depends on his staff.  Mark Fox failed miserably when he first came to athens with a horrible staff and then he got it turned around, but it was too late.  Crean also did a poor job of hiring his staff to recruit the Atlanta area.  So the staffing hires are so important.. We need to keep as much instate talent that we can get and get enough booster support to buy players like pearl is doing at auburn.  One coach that really intrigues is Gates.  He turned around a dumpster fire and he was a bigtime recruiter when he was on Hamilton's staff.  He helped turn fsu around into a much more accomplished program..  

2 hours ago, 007dawg said:

Yep, bring Jonas back as AHC and increase program spending into at least top 5 and we should be ready to roll!

Mike White is a very capable recruiter and a heck of a coach IMO.. This is a home run hire.. He has been to move ncaa tournaments in the past 7 years and won more games than we have the past 3 plus decades combined.. I love this freaking hire!!  I agree on bringing back Jonaes.. Mike knows the southeast and I trust he knows the staff he wants to build and Mike White was our top pick at head coach and Mike really wanted to be in Athens.  His biggest issue at florida was he wasn't billy donovan..  No one they hire is going to have back to back national title teams.. that is unheard of.  This is how good Mike White has been he hasn't lost in the 1st round of the ncaa tournament and even made the elite 8.. this year will be the first since 2016 that the gators haven't made the tourney.  He had a nice run at florida. 

7 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Mike White is a very capable recruiter and a heck of a coach IMO.. This is a home run hire.. He has been to move ncaa tournaments in the past 7 years and won more games than we have the past 3 plus decades combined.. I love this freaking hire!!  I agree on bringing back Jonaes.. Mike knows the southeast and I trust he knows the staff he wants to build and Mike White was our top pick at head coach and Mike really wanted to be in Athens.  His biggest issue at florida was he wasn't billy donovan..  No one they hire is going to have back to back national title teams.. that is unheard of.  This is how good Mike White has been he hasn't lost in the 1st round of the ncaa tournament and even made the elite 8.. this year will be the first since 2016 that the gators haven't made the tourney.  He had a nice run at florida. 

Just curious. Leaving an established program for a rebuild. So basically he left for somewhere that he might get more love from boosters?