February 2022 UGA Recruiting Thread

SacFalcFan

59 minutes ago, joefalco said:

Probably leading for him at the moment, but he has a history with OU and Texas A&M. Believe he lived in College Station for a while growing up as his dad worked in the athletic department there. A&M has an insane haul of DL though so I would be surprised if they end up being a real contender. They don't need the NIL money and I don't think they even mentioned it in any interviews so far. The fact we're about to put quite a few defensive players and DL in the league is also huge for us. UGA is also a good academic match for what they're looking for.

26 minutes ago, Carter said:

Probably leading for him at the moment, but he has a history with OU and Texas A&M. Believe he lived in College Station for a while growing up as his dad worked in the athletic department there. A&M has an insane haul of DL though so I would be surprised if they end up being a real contender. They don't need the NIL money and I don't think they even mentioned it in any interviews so far. The fact we're about to put quite a few defensive players and DL in the league is also huge for us. UGA is also a good academic match for what they're looking for.

That would be an insane class if we land him. I love the guys we already have this cycle. Kirby is zooming in on the right guys with the right mindset. 

17 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

That would be an insane class if we land him. I love the guys we already have this cycle. Kirby is zooming in on the right guys with the right mindset. 

For sure, I love this class and we have a great DL class. Purely from a ranking standpoint overall the DL haul we got doesn't really compare to what A&M just pulled in though. And I would ignore a lot of what people are saying about A&M right now, a lot of folks are supremely butthurt about the money they are throwing around to land the class they just did so a lot of folks are just going to boohoo about it now.

Overton won't be making his decision for a while still, he will take his visits and we will find out later on. Not going to say it will definitely be UGA but if I'm guessing right now I think it comes down to UGA and Ohio State. He's a "Georgia kid" but has moved around a good bit and I don't think they necessarily feel any pressure to stay home. We'll see. Definitely a kid with the right mindset though.

3 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Having a discussion right now but who called defensive plays last year..Kirby or Lanning?

I don't know if anyone can answer that with full accuracy lol... Lanning ran the defense but Kirby and Muschamp were both very involved.

Edit: Like it seems to be a collective effort but Kirby mostly lets his coordinators call their game.

Edited by Carter

On 2/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, Carter said:

Probably leading for him at the moment, but he has a history with OU and Texas A&M. Believe he lived in College Station for a while growing up as his dad worked in the athletic department there.

This being new territory, but is this guy think he is gonna be playing his first year?  I dont see it. Nothing to compare it to but unless he is Thanos he gonna get beat like a high school senior his first year on a college practice field... anywhere, much less UGA

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:

This being new territory, but is this guy think he is gonna be playing his first year?  I dont see it. Nothing to compare it to but unless he is Thanos he gonna get beat like a high school senior his first year on a college practice field... anywhere, much less UGA

I can only go from what they say publicly and what legitimate insider types and beat writers pass along. There is WAY too much garbage info being posted because of how ticked off people are with Texas A&M throwing all that money around with this class.

I should be clear I don't know. I don't have any inside info or greater insight. From interviews, they seem to be prioritizing a coaching staff that can develop him into a player with pro potential and an academic plan that will set him up for success after football. I don't get the sense right now that they're just looking for easy money and early playing time. He was already on track to graduate this spring and reclassify to 2022, his coaches were talking about it in interviews back in like October I believe... but a lot of folks are taking the timing into account of him making his announcement after a trip to TAMU.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he thinks he's gonna be playing in year 1. He has tremendous upside but seems everyone understands he will need to grow and develop into it. He will be buried on the depth chart as a freshman at any of his announced finalists.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Any thoughts on the Kayin Lee de-commitment?

My opinion is fran likes other guys better and is building his own board.  Lee said he would be evaluating uga and it is because our db coach told him that same thing before he decommitted.  When you get a new coach is hired you will see guys decommit.. sometimes it is due to the recruit wanting to wait and develop a relationship with the new coach or a coach looks at his commits and offers and decides who he wants to keep.  Keep an eye on new offers.  That will tell you the type of players fran likes.

17 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

My opinion is fran likes other guys better and is building his own board.  Lee said he would be evaluating uga and it is because our db coach told him that same thing before he decommitted.  When you get a new coach is hired you will see guys decommit.. sometimes it is due to the recruit wanting to wait and develop a relationship with the new coach or a coach looks at his commits and offers and decides who he wants to keep.  Keep an eye on new offers.  That will tell you the type of players fran likes.

How different do you anticipate Fran's philosophy at that position to be from that of Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp?

On 2/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

How different do you anticipate Fran's philosophy at that position to be from that of Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp?

His coaching will match what muschamp and kirby want which was the issue with our previous db coach and a big reason he is not in athens.  Fran wouldn't have been hired if he wasn't going to coach a very similar philosophy..  The one thing you are seeing with Fran is he agrees with kirby and muschamp in wanting to target guys taller than 6 foot.. i believe every offer by Fran is over 6 foot.. We need size and speed to matchup with wrs groups that reside in alabama and ohio state for instance.