Cam traded for nothing, really??

thanat0s

15 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Well I am just going to wait and see how this shakes out!  I guess TLC is a better fit?

TLC has no trade value and he's comfortable in his role. Maybe Cam puts it together and is great in NY, but he was very inconsistent here and apparently already unhappy enough in the offseason that he requested to be traded.

Gallo and Bogi have both struggled with their shot this year, but are each shooting better than Cam still--and this is Cam's BEST shooting season so far. 

I still think we could have gotten a little more in a trade if we had been more patient, but when you factor everything in, it definitely makes sense that Cam was the first guy to go. 

4 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

TLC has no trade value and he's comfortable in his role. Maybe Cam puts it together and is great in NY, but he was very inconsistent here and apparently already unhappy enough in the offseason that he requested to be traded.

Gallo and Bogi have both struggled with their shot this year, but are each shooting better than Cam still--and this is Cam's BEST shooting season so far. 

I still think we could have gotten a little more in a trade if we had been more patient, but when you factor everything in, it definitely makes sense that Cam was the first guy to go. 

I guess at first I was livid but once I found out that Cam spoke with TS about leaving at the beginning of the year then I’m cool with it.  Outside of Dre we need better wings if we hope to compete with the better teams in the East!

1 hour ago, jwickha2 said:

I think you guys are reading into that statement and seeing things that aren't there. I could be wrong but I think what Travis meant was that in general Cam isn't the first player to want to go somewhere he could play more and was not referencing any Hawks player

Several Hawks reporters have pointed out that both Nate and Travis said Cam specifically wanted to go elsewhere where he could play more. 

1 hour ago, Expert Poster said:

Several Hawks reporters have pointed out that both Nate and Travis said Cam specifically wanted to go elsewhere where he could play more. 

Yes I got that. What I was talking about was that Travis wasn't talking about any other Hawks player wanting out just in general there have been other players like Cam that have asked to be traded for more playing time

1 hour ago, jwickha2 said:

Yes I got that. What I was talking about was that Travis wasn't talking about any other Hawks player wanting out just in general there have been other players like Cam that have asked to be traded for more playing time

Ah, gotcha. I misinterpreted your earlier post. 

On 1/14/2022 at 4:35 AM, blkbigdog35 said:

I definitely see him flourishing in NY and I just don’t get how some don’t see he was the second best wing on the team.  TS better have a plan!

To me, I am starting to think Slinky wants these guys to be something other than who they are. 

Outside of maybe two or three of them, none of these guys were known for their Defense before they got here so I’m not sure why all of the sudden he is expecting them to be like the Knicks. 

It just seems like this year we are not playing to our strengths.

40 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

To me, I am starting to think Slinky wants these guys to be something other than who they are. 

Outside of maybe two or three of them, none of these guys were known for their Defense before they got here so I’m not sure why all of the sudden he is expecting them to be like the Knicks. 

It just seems like this year we are not playing to our strengths.

To me it’s Coach Nate and his system!  Dre, CC and OO are great defenders with JC improving.  We are severely lacking athletic perimeter defenders!  TS should be investing guys capable of defending!

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

To me it’s Coach Nate and his system!  Dre, CC and OO are great defenders with JC improving.  We are severely lacking athletic perimeter defenders!  TS should be investing guys capable of defending!

Nate was coaching last year, but it was with CLP's system. We never had a chance to learn and use his system last year with the condensed schedule and lack of practices. I am definitely worried about Nate's system.  CLP lost the locker room, but his system was definitely playing to these guys strengths. 

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

But that’s not the guys he drafted. 

Right or wrong we should be doing what we do best, the best we can to be the best team we can be. (Now I sound like one of my old coaches! But he was right though! 🤣 )

2 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Nate was coaching last year, but it was with CLP's system. We never had a chance to learn and use his system last year with the condensed schedule and lack of practices. I am definitely worried about Nate's system.  CLP lost the locker room, but his system was definitely playing to these guys strengths. 

I’m trying to figure out what his system is???

8 hours ago, Expert Poster said:

Different sets or not, the offense has been one of the best in the NBA this year. Defense has been really bad. You have to find a way to play decent team defense no matter who your personnel is. 

Every Hawk needs to play defense period. Stop being lazy and get after the other team.Sleep walking won't work . 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:32 AM, blkbigdog35 said:

This just sucks. We can't seem to get these guys playing in stretches together.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

I’m with you bro I’m just amazed how this is all coming out now! I wonder who the other player is?

Most likely the one who complained that he isn't featured enough in the offense... John Collins.

I tend to agree with @GEORGIAfan, the offense is far too dependent on Trae, which is a shame because John and Hunter can score. I don't know why coach Nate doesn't do anything about this. The offense lulls when Trae goes off the floor because the other guys don't know what to do when Trae isn't holding the ball most of the shot clock period.

We don't need a true PG to back up Trae. There isn't a backup PG in the NBA who can do what Trae does. The problem is the system. 

Honestly it's the Russell Westbrook/James Harden problem. 

1 hour ago, Mr.11 said:

Most likely the one who complained that he isn't featured enough in the offense... John Collins.

I tend to agree with @GEORGIAfan, the offense is far too dependent on Trae, which is a shame because John and Hunter can score. I don't know why coach Nate doesn't do anything about this. The offense lulls when Trae goes off the floor because the other guys don't know what to do when Trae isn't holding the ball most of the shot clock period.

We don't need a true PG to back up Trae. There isn't a backup PG in the NBA who can do what Trae does. The problem is the system. 

Great point!

2 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

Disagree.

Cooper is the solution. Wright is trash and disrupts our flow. Just like trying to play Lew at the point last year.

We’re going nowhere this year. Cooper should be getting 100% of the backup PG minutes.

And speaking of Lew Williams, dude should be our starting 2, and we should trade Bogi. Let Huerter be our 6th man like usual. Then our next pick needs to be a legit 2 who can also play D.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Disagree.

Cooper is the solution. Wright is trash and disrupts our flow. Just like trying to play Lew at the point last year.

We’re going nowhere this year. Cooper should be getting 100% of the backup PG minutes.

And speaking of Lew Williams, dude should be our starting 2, and we should trade Bogi. Let Huerter be our 6th man like usual. Then our next pick needs to be a legit 2 who can also play D.

I doubt one rookie PG is going to solve all their problems.

50 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

I doubt one rookie PG is going to solve all their problems.

I didn’t say “all their problems”, just the one you mentioned about backup PG.

I also clearly mentioned that Huerter needs to be coming off the bench and Bogi needs to be traded, so obviously I see additional issues than just backup PG.

But the premise about Cooper is that he can keep the same game flow going as Trae.  He obviously can’t score like Trae, but he has the same ability to create opportunities for everyone else.  Nobody has to change a thing they do.  Positioning, floor running, spacing, shot selection, guarding, play concepts… nothing needs to be different between Trae and Cooper.

He’s the only one who we can say that about.  When Wright or anyone else runs the point, all that flow and consistency has to change.  Cooper is the only one that we don’t have to alter the game flow when Trae is resting.

That doesn’t mean we don’t still have effort issues, defensive issues, SG issues, and WTH coaching decision issues.

Edited by Beef

On 1/21/2022 at 8:08 PM, Beef said:

Disagree.

This is insane. Lou Williams is shooting 38% from the floor this year, and he's old and doesn't play good defense. It would make no sense at all starting him at the 2. He wasn't even a regular starter in his prime. 

And Wright is not trash. He's the best defensive guard on the team.