Cam traded for nothing, really??

thanat0s

12 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I’m having a hard time thinking this makes us a better team. 

This is really what  confuses me. Unless we have more moves coming, it's hard to see where this move makes us a better team in 22. Maybe they see the writing on the wall and plan to fire sale what they can and build a new group over the summer?

I didn't like Reddish when he was drafted but was somewhat surprised he flashed pretty early at times. I thought he would be more developmental. But if he still hasn't really developed past where he was 2 years ago and the team didn't think he ever would, it was time to go. He may be a career Tim Hardway Jr. 

It's a good thing Trae Young is that good because Reddish did not turn out to be much of a consolation prize from trading out of the Doncic spot. 

7 hours ago, jidady said:

Metrics sites have him as a negative value player. That's the long and short of it. He's regressed badly, which isn't that shocking since there were always questions about his maturity alongside his shot. I never wanted us to draft him because I didn't think he'd turn out.

Like I said elsewhere, volume scorers via excessive attempts aren't a thing in the NBA now. We didn't get much for him because that's the conventional wisdom in the league. He's a wing shooting 40%. There's not a lot you can do with that if the guy's defending poorly as well.

Everyone sees the flashes, but the consistency isn't there. The light may never go on for him. I wouldn't want to be the Knicks as they pair him with Barrett, who is just as selfish with the ball.

ESPN's draft grade article has the real story of our season, though: "Atlanta's offensive rating drops by 14.9 points per 100 possessions with (Trae) Young on the bench."

And you probably got to the root of it. I honestly don't get into stats too much other than the major ones P/R/A/S/B, so if a team is prone to use analytics for decision making, and if Cam didn't want to be here anyway, a trade makes sense, I guess. 

But to the Knicks? There wasn't one single WC team they could've sent him to? Geesh.

I am still pissed man. I tried to take a minute to calm myself down, but the more news that comes out, the more I am pissed. Everything I have been saying the past few months has been confirmed. I have been saying that we have too much depth and that a big issue is people not getting enough shots. Depth is a bonus in the NBA, but it is better to be top heavy than balanced or bottom heavy.  When the playoffs come around your star players are going to playing 35-40+ minutes, so who cares how good their backup is. They are playing less than 10 minutes. 

We basically gave reddish away. I think Reddish is going to make us look stupid. Thibs will make him play defense like he was last year/rookie year and his offense is going to continue to improve and get more consistent. He is shooting 40/38/90 this year. He isn't far from 50/40/90, which is elite shooter status. 

My only hope is that we don't screw up with Hunter, but I am losing faith.  Hunter needs 15 shots per game. Don't matter how he is shooting. 

Here are the shot distributions of other Eastern conference teams. Notice how their top tier guys are getting more shots than most of our guys.

Heat

cPsOcDS.png

Bulls

K8VDQhm.png

Hornets

NLi94N1.png

Now the Hawks:

cMmCqQ4.png

Every other team has a clear hierarchy.  For us it is just Trae, then everyone else.  This is why we always see folks play hero ball instead of staying in the flow of the offense. This is why we seem to get better when 1 guy is injured.  It isn't because that player was bad, but because now their shots are distributed to everyone else, we have less depth, and the people who come in to replace their backups now their place in the hierarchy and won't try playing hero ball. 

1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I am still pissed man. I tried to take a minute to calm myself down, but the more news that comes out, the more I am pissed. Everything I have been saying the past few months has been confirmed. I have been saying that we have too much depth and that a big issue is people not getting enough shots. Depth is a bonus in the NBA, but it is better to be top heavy than balanced or bottom heavy.  When the playoffs come around your star players are going to playing 35-40+ minutes, so who cares how good their backup is. They are playing less than 10 minutes. 

We basically gave reddish away. I think Reddish is going to make us look stupid. Thibs will make him play defense like he was last year/rookie year and his offense is going to continue to improve and get more consistent. He is shooting 40/38/90 this year. He isn't far from 50/40/90, which is elite shooter status. 

My only hope is that we don't screw up with Hunter, but I am losing faith.  Hunter needs 15 shots per game. Don't matter how he is shooting. 

He's never going to get anywhere close to 50% from the field unless he drastically alters his shot selection. Unless you're Hall of Fame caliber, which Cam isn't, you're not going to hit 50% while taking some of the shots he takes. 

4 hours ago, thanat0s said:

And you probably got to the root of it. I honestly don't get into stats too much other than the major ones P/R/A/S/B, so if a team is prone to use analytics for decision making, and if Cam didn't want to be here anyway, a trade makes sense, I guess. 

But to the Knicks? There wasn't one single WC team they could've sent him to? Geesh.

Due to the recent rules update here, I cannot post the entire article. However, former personnel and stats guru John Hollinger writes for The Athletic now. Here are a few snippets about the trade:

"Whether or not you think this is a fair value likely hinges heavily on your opinion of Reddish, who has at times tantalized with the possibility of being a huge 3-and-D wing but more often has been one of the league’s biggest teases.

After two years of inconsistent shooting, the 22-year-old is up to 37.9 percent from 3 and 90.0 percent from the line this season. Inside the arc, however, it’s a different story; Reddish remains a bizarrely bad finisher for a big, athletic wing, while also prone to ballhandling misadventures any time he tries getting into his bag off the dribble."

"His impact numbers this season are glaringly awful. While the Hawks have been outscored on the season, they are +5.7 points per 100 possessions in the minutes Reddish isn’t on the court. When he plays, they are -10.0 per 100; no other Hawk comes close to matching this difference. If you’re wondering, it’s not dependent on Trae Young either; units with Young and Reddish have been squashed by -13.4 points per 100.

On the other hand, Reddish is still 22, he’s at least a somewhat competent shooter and he offers a skill set to improve in other areas. For a Knicks team that still needs a big wing to complement its horde of 6-5 guys, this doesn’t strike me as a terrible gamble. The issue thus far has been that the idea of Reddish has been nowhere close to the reality of his production. But he’s young enough that it could still change."

"Overall, however, each team can make its case here: The Knicks can say they used a late future first to nab a big wing with starter potential, and the Hawks can say they turned an overtly negative player at present into an asset for the future. How history judges the deal depends largely on Reddish’s ability to convert potential into production."

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Does anyone have a sales pitch on Knox? Is he just a body or someone useful? I don't know much about him but slightly recall him doing some things as a rookie and he's still really young and has a good pedigree. 

His rookie year was decent and then ...............lukewarm rocket power nicksplat GIF

8 hours ago, thanat0s said:

This is really what  confuses me. Unless we have more moves coming, it's hard to see where this move makes us a better team in 22. Maybe they see the writing on the wall and plan to fire sale what they can and build a new group over the summer?

Ngl just looking at the next 2 and a half weeks of our schedule, our season very well may be over by the end of that stretch anyway. It is definitely possible the Hawks are planning for the future. 

8 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Notice how Schlenk has said Cam isn't the first player to reach out about being traded because they want a bigger role. 

Y'all keep trying to question me, but every piece of news that comes out just confirms what I have been saying for months. 

I’m with you bro I’m just amazed how this is all coming out now! I wonder who the other player is?

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

So it seems a lot of you are okay with the other wings not including Dre??? Would love see people post stats on these other folks?? TLC was a better option I guess as well smfh!!

I haven't seen anyone say that. But you have to look not just at who is "better" but who fits better and who has value on the trade market. Cam had the worst net rating on the team, so by definition, all other wings had better net ratings. 

1 hour ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I’m with you bro I’m just amazed how this is all coming out now! I wonder who the other player is?

Could be Collins or pretty much anyone not named Trae. He is basically the only one getting a reasonable amount of touches. 

I just think we would be better off fixing the issue than trading guys at their low points for basically nothing.  

12 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Could be Collins or pretty much anyone not named Trae. He is basically the only one getting a reasonable amount of touches. 

I just think we would be better off fixing the issue than trading guys at their low points for basically nothing.  

Agreed!  

23 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

I haven't seen anyone say that. But you have to look not just at who is "better" but who fits better and who has value on the trade market. Cam had the worst net rating on the team, so by definition, all other wings had better net ratings. 

Well I am just going to wait and see how this shakes out!  I guess TLC is a better fit?