Caleb Williams offered 1 million to transfer

isproab

13 hours ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Meh …pay them whatever, don’t hide behind that cheap excuse about education

They should be able to get paid. Not sure what is a cheap excuse about education though, hundreds of thousands of dollars is spent on every single scholarship athlete on a full ride over the course of their time in college. Vast majority will never sniff pro ball and that degree not only can lift families out of generational poverty, but they will make a lot more off that degree than they’ll ever make from NIL. That’s not nothing. They’re already super privileged to receive that scholarship, only 1-2% of students in bachelor degree programs receive athletic scholarships of any kind. Far fewer receive a full ride.

They do deserve to get paid. The 65 schools making up the power 5 conferences generate more than $4 billion annually from football. The players should benefit directly from that. But it should also be a fair and structured system, not some wide open unregulated mess of players being openly bid on to sign somewhere or transfer like bastardized free agency. That cheapens the game. And honestly it’s unsustainable because more and more people are being turned off by how things currently are and all that money won’t be flowing into the sport if people are tuning out. Ratings have already been down the past few years and down more this year. It’s all worth considering 

54 minutes ago, Carter said:

They should be able to get paid. Not sure what is a cheap excuse about education though, hundreds of thousands of dollars is spent on every single scholarship athlete on a full ride over the course of their time in college. Vast majority will never sniff pro ball and that degree not only can lift families out of generational poverty, but they will make a lot more off that degree than they’ll ever make from NIL. That’s not nothing. They’re already super privileged to receive that scholarship, only 1-2% of students in bachelor degree programs receive athletic scholarships of any kind. Far fewer receive a full ride.

They do deserve to get paid. The 65 schools making up the power 5 conferences generate more than $4 billion annually from football. The players should benefit directly from that. But it should also be a fair and structured system, not some wide open unregulated mess of players being openly bid on to sign somewhere or transfer like bastardized free agency. That cheapens the game. And honestly it’s unsustainable because more and more people are being turned off by how things currently are and all that money won’t be flowing into the sport if people are tuning out. Ratings have already been down the past few years and down more this year. It’s all worth considering 

Good point, but I have question for clarification.  Is that $4B revenue or profit?

Only asking because many people equate the two as being the same, whereas $4B in revenue could mean $400m in profit if the profit margin is 10% after all expenses(especially when football subsidizes virtually all other sports).  Divide that by 65 schools and it averages to just over $6M per school.  Doesn’t leave a lot left for NIL! Now if the $4B is profit, then that is an entirely different scenario!

I am in no way saying players shouldn’t get paid something, they should I think. But just want to understand the $4B figure as that make a very big difference in how much money is really “laying around”.

2 hours ago, Is This What You Want? said:

Good point, but I have question for clarification.  Is that $4B revenue or profit?

Only asking because many people equate the two as being the same, whereas $4B in revenue could mean $400m in profit if the profit margin is 10% after all expenses(especially when football subsidizes virtually all other sports).  Divide that by 65 schools and it averages to just over $6M per school.  Doesn’t leave a lot left for NIL! Now if the $4B is profit, then that is an entirely different scenario!

I am in no way saying players shouldn’t get paid something, they should I think. But just want to understand the $4B figure as that make a very big difference in how much money is really “laying around”.

I got that figure from here

https://fortune.com/2020/08/10/college-football-cancelled-2020-ncaa-financial-impact-revenue-schools-big-ten-sec-acc-big-12-pac-12/

And it looks like they pulled the figure from ESPN. So I’m not sure how accurate that is actually. It says revenue, not profits.

This article reports: “According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association, more than 180,000 student-athletes receive around $3.6 billion in athletic scholarships in Divisions I and II each year.”

I would be interested in seeing a better breakdown or a little more in depth explanation of these enormous figures. I need to read more about how NIL is being handled also because I believe it varies from state to state. At a certain point these blanket figures and large numbers lose meaning. 

5 hours ago, Carter said:

Them degrees ain’t wiping generational poverty out like that trust me all degrees ain’t equal. The league is fine, all the NIL did was bring what was done in the dark to the light..if Kirby can be in every ford commercial so should the players that helped him..**** pack em all in the back of a raptor and ride through Athens (that’s a great idea I should pitch that) ..it’s time to pay up..the game will be fine.. Things will settle or everyone will get use to it however you see it and the game will go on

5 hours ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Them degrees ain’t wiping generational poverty out like that trust me all degrees ain’t equal. The league is fine, all the NIL did was bring what was done in the dark to the light..if Kirby can be in every ford commercial so should the players that helped him..**** pack em all in the back of a raptor and ride through Athens (that’s a great idea I should pitch that) ..it’s time to pay up..the game will be fine.. Things will settle or everyone will get use to it however you see it and the game will go on

Oh I know it’s not wiping it out, but it is a huge opportunity for them. If they choose a crappy major to coast through college playing football that’s their choice, just like going somewhere only for NIL money is their bad decision to make as well. A lot of them are only there because of football and I get that. I have no problem with them getting paid to be in commercials and be in a new NCAA Football video game and all that. No problem with them being able to make a million dollars or whatever the case may be, just the way it’s handled and attitudes about what they are entitled to.

It’s true some of these guys been getting paid for a long time behind the scenes, but I don’t think that means it should be a wide open Wild West of free agency. I don’t think people will just get over that, it fundamentally changes things that people love specifically about college football. Again I’m all for these guys having more opportunities and getting paid but if it isn’t handled right it’s going to hurt the game a lot imo

On 1/6/2022 at 12:57 PM, isproab said:

Just googled it, I had not heard.  Article said Texas is paying every scholarship offensive lineman 50k, that's crazy.  Maybe this will be like NFL free agency.  It took teams a while to learn that these guys they spend big money on don't always pan out.  I'm fine with the 100% scholarships.  I just think that there should be some type of real stipend on top because so much is required of the guys and its not like they can get a job.  Many are not be fortunate enough to be able to call mom & dad for money.

Millions at 22-23 is one thing but a million at 18? These players might lose concentration on the game if we add too much money to the mix.

On 1/7/2022 at 3:41 PM, Ovie_Lover said:

They also don’t bring in tax dollars to the cities when they play there or anything. How about we stop spending so much on our military when we have brand new tanks rotting in the desert and use that money for teachers, police, etc

Because we let all our tanks rot and need new ones.

On 1/6/2022 at 2:51 PM, Wardog357 said:

Like everything else, this will spin out of control. Mark my words. I have no problem with the kids getting something out of it, But this will become a bid war. 

Kids should get 40k plus scholarships to play. 

Then they'll understand how much money the average person lives off of in a year.

Anything more than that frankly generous stipend would be a trainwreck. 

2 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Kids should get 40k plus scholarships to play. 

Then they'll understand how much money the average person lives off of in a year.

Anything more than that frankly generous stipend would be a trainwreck. 

How much do you think scholarship is are worth as they stand?  No offense but have you attended university?  Your comments make it sounds as if you haven’t.  Specifically, your comment on kids should get 40k scholarships to play. What do you think they their scholarships at this very moment are wroth…? Less than 40k?

JFC including stipends and weekly benefits a full ride at UGA today is probably worth 45-55k a year plus’s more intangible benefits.  I am not against kids getting paid more for their worth, but idiots making the wrong argument with wrong and made up facts hurts their cause.  The best thing you can do to help them get more $$ is to be be quiet about things you don’t know about.