January 2022 UGA Recruiting Thread

Carter

41 minutes ago, Carter said:

3 star TE Lawson Luckie commits. Class of 2023

The Georgia Bulldogs picked up their ninth verbal commit of the 2023 class on Wednesday when Norcross (Ga.) four-star tight end Lawson Luckie chose the Georgia Bulldogs over 24 other offers. Georgia was the second school to offer Luckie, extending a scholarship a few hours after Georgia Tech on Aug. 17, 2020. Now, assistant Todd Hartley has his second tight end of the cycle, with Luckie joining Santa Rosa Beach (Fla.) South Walton Top 100 prospect Pearce Spurlin. Luckie's first trip once recruiting visits returned in 2021 was to Athens. He would return to watch games during the fall.

Lawson is the son of Mike Luckie, one of three Luckie triplets to play for the Dawgs during the 90s. Mike suited up alongside Kirby from 1996-98 and was the first of the Luckie triplets to start, against Kentucky in 1996. He had an interception return for a touchdown against Mississippi State in 1997.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

My bad, Luckie is a 247 composite 4 star. Saw the announcement on Rivals where he is rated a 3 star currently. Rivals early rankings are always lagging behind it seems. 

Also according to 247 this should put UGA up a notch on team rankings, IIRC 

Treyaun Webb was back in Athens for the celebration today, and Wiltfong reports we now lead..again (I didn't even notice he decomitted from OK in November till I saw this)

Does anyone have the full list of recruits who were there today? I know someone said Arch was there, but haven't seen it confirmed.

3 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

Treyaun Webb was back in Athens for the celebration today, and Wiltfong reports we now lead..again (I didn't even notice he decomitted from OK in November till I saw this)

Does anyone have the full list of recruits who were there today? I know someone said Arch was there, but haven't seen it confirmed.

I haven't seen a full list. I'm skeptical on Arch, because Dylan Lonergan was *definitely* there, and that feels like a situation Kirby and co would avoid if they can help it... maybe you make the exception for Natty Celebration weekend though... who knows.

Did a quick browse through a few threads that do a pretty good job keeping up with twitter posts and these were all shared as being in Athens:

Vic Burley, Tomarrion Parker, Dylan Lonergan, Sammy Brown, KJ Bolden, Madden Sanker, Webb (obvs), Jamaal Jarrett, Darius Neals, Jamari Howard, Kaden Briggs, Justice Haynes, Stephiylan Green, KJ Kirkland...

Edited by fibonaccisquared

32 minutes ago, Carter said:

Not exactly surprising but huge nonetheless. Our defense needs all the experience we can get on the field with everything we’re losing on that side. Tons of incredible young talent though

This guy was a buzzsaw at West Virginia, if he hasnt lost anything physically you know mentally he has grown. Great news

On 1/19/2022 at 10:26 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

I know some are worried about what we are losing but Kirby has this team well stocked for a repeat run.  Future is looking good!

The issue will be experience at some important spots especially mlb....  we are pretty set most other spots.  Here is my opinion (taking into account experience).

We are in a great spot at te, qb, wr, and oline.  

On defense we lost a lot of starters but remember we rotate so many guys in and out that we have a ton of experience on defense returning.  At de we return Nolan Smith and Beal.  Huge.  Safety we return chris Smith and get Tyrese Smith back and Poole who played terrific in the cup games at star.  Dline is a big question at nt but we return carter and will have to see some guys step up.  This is where we will be pretty young in the rotation.  Punter will be another question mark.  We had one of the best in the nation. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

UGA offered Andrew Paul for rb in the 2022 class.  James won't be signing with us..the staff moved on.  

I'd love to get him (good looking "late bloomer" film - lot of subtle wiggle/slide at the line and then very fluid in motion with the ball), but as of yet, doesn't sound like there is a lot of traction there. ILB EJ Lightsey appears to be the backfill for that slot in the class.

1 minute ago, bigjmw84 said:

Do we have a shot with Harold Perkins after he backed out tamu?

Considering that he's never taken a visit here, just took a visit to FL, and is taking visits to Miami and LSU this weekend, I doubt it

If he backs out of one of those and comes here this weekend, then maybe