Cotton Bowl: Alabama verses Cincinnati Game Thread..

SacFalcFan

4 minutes ago, Hugh Janus said:

Careful what you ask for. Everyone proclaiming “We want Bama” last time and you got them. 

So what? You hope we lose to Michigan or again to Bama? Maybe we should just forfeit? I’m sorry I’m not scared of Bama. If we play our game and lose then hats off to them. I’m guessing you grew up with timeouts and everyone gets a trophy with those kinds of statements.

Cincy defense has played their tails off despite the talent disparity. Their offense just hasn’t been able to get much going.

Bama is missing several key players and has played pretty much straight up grown man football. This is just a shining example of Bama having too much talent for a team like Cincy to compete with. 

Alabama’s passing play calling was horrible. 

But Cincy also covered pretty well. Cincy should have shifted out of their 3-3-5 at some point, but then the passing game would have just opened up. 

This game was like almost every Alabama semifinal game ever (minus Michigan State). Never really felt in doubt, but just kind of annoyed by it

3 hours ago, richham said:

So what? You hope we lose to Michigan or again to Bama? Maybe we should just forfeit? I’m sorry I’m not scared of Bama. If we play our game and lose then hats off to them. I’m guessing you grew up with timeouts and everyone gets a trophy with those kinds of statements.

Roll Tide

Proof that 4 slots isn’t enough for college football. Cincy is good. They could absolutely beat Texas Tech or Kentucky and could probably beat Maryland. They are not the 4th best or even 15th best D1 team. Not taking anything against Bama but at least make them earn it next year in the semis. 
FCS has a 24 team playoff. So imagine if CFP had 12?  You could call the bracket games “bowls” and use actual bowl games for the time slots. Then it wouldn’t add a single day to the format. 4 teams just becomes marketing. 

1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

Proof that 4 slots isn’t enough for college football. Cincy is good. They could absolutely beat Texas Tech or Kentucky and could probably beat Maryland. They are not the 4th best or even 15th best D1 team. Not taking anything against Bama but at least make them earn it next year in the semis. 
FCS has a 24 team playoff. So imagine if CFP had 12?  You could call the bracket games “bowls” and use actual bowl games for the time slots. Then it wouldn’t add a single day to the format. 4 teams just becomes marketing. 

The 4 team format is basically just a +1. All the regular bowl games with the two highest ranked winners playing an extra game against each other for the national title. Not even really a playoff. Matchups often mirror what would have happened with the BCS, but add the extra game. The rotating CFP bowl schedule makes for some interesting games though, such as Georgia playing Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl.

I would like to see a true playoff field of 8 with an actual playoff format. It’s hard to imagine we will get a good playoff system for FBS though, there’s too much money in the bowl game format and that’s all that really matters to the people making these decisions.

2 hours ago, Carter said:

The 4 team format is basically just a +1. All the regular bowl games with the two highest ranked winners playing an extra game against each other for the national title. Not even really a playoff. Matchups often mirror what would have happened with the BCS, but add the extra game. The rotating CFP bowl schedule makes for some interesting games though, such as Georgia playing Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl.

I would like to see a true playoff field of 8 with an actual playoff format. It’s hard to imagine we will get a good playoff system for FBS though, there’s too much money in the bowl game format and that’s all that really matters to the people making these decisions.

All I know is they have 40 bowl games and only a handful are watchable, and Ive been known to watch the CFL, so Ill watch crap games. I wouldn't mind 16 teams feed the first week into some of the second tier locales and bowls based regionally so teams fans could easily attend.  **** thats got to more money if this years Music City Bowl was Alabama vs Purdue or Tennessee Purdue, with these games meaning something more fans will try and attend and more people would actually watch. Obviously some places would or could still host a holiday bowl.

The players might miss out on all the smoozing they get from the individual bowls, Id be more concerned about injuries. 

On 1/2/2022 at 1:05 AM, Killing Floor said:

i mean...they did beat notre dame who is currently the #5 team

24 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

i mean...they did beat notre dame who is currently the #5 team

Yep. Do you think they could have beaten them last week again?  I agree they are a good team. I just don’t believe they were the 4th best team any more than undefeated UCF was a few years ago. But if the CFP is expanded it wouldn’t exclude high power teams in high power conferences. 

6 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Yep. Do you think they could have beaten them last week again?  I agree they are a good team. I just don’t believe they were the 4th best team any more than undefeated UCF was a few years ago. But if the CFP is expanded it wouldn’t exclude high power teams in high power conferences. 

I believe it would have been the same outcome if bama played notre dame instead of cinci