Transfer Portal

Unknøwn

1 hour ago, Is This What You Want? said:

You probably right.  But Caleb was just in Texas bowl game(dentist in Dallas), and dentist didn’t say anything about Nitro, others commented and assumed that.  Probably still BS.  That’s why I said “rumor” not, “inside source”.  Would be surprised if Oklahoma didn’t match, but also wouldn’t be surprised to see Auburn offering those types deals to get players in.

The only way he goes to Auburn is if they offer the biggest bag. His dad says it’s about getting him ready for the NFL, that sure as **** isn’t auburn. 

Has there been any QB from Auburn go pro since scam newton? And poor Newty was never that good as a pro either. Of course GA hasn’t exactly lit the pros up with QB’s either. From what I’ve been hearing, he’s a strong lean to follow his coach to USC. But right now…..who knows. 

39 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

Has there been any QB from Auburn go pro since scam newton? And poor Newty was never that good as a pro either. Of course GA hasn’t exactly lit the pros up with QB’s either. From what I’ve been hearing, he’s a strong lean to follow his coach to USC. But right now…..who knows. 

I doubt he goes USC too. They just got a guy who they believe is better than Caleb. 

Idc who Auburn has put in the NFL. I think he needs to go to a team with a good OL and WRs. That eliminates auburn.

4 hours ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Lotta smoke with this Caleb Williams thing. Hypothetically, how does our QB room look if this happens? Brock, Beck, JT, all transfer, leaving Williams, Stockton, and possibly Stetson for another year?

Where are you hearing this at?

And he’s not coming here unless Kirby guarantees he’s the starter and that ain’t happening. 

Yeah I thought Gabriel could figure prominently into the mix. Kid can play. Gabriel choosing OU is a pretty big development, but I also don't think it means Williams is gone for sure. Caleb could very well stay at OU.

Williams loved UGA, we were in tight with him. He could end up coming to UGA, I honestly don't think the competition would scare him away but I do kinda doubt it will be us. Seems like Texas A&M or Ole Miss would be very appealing choices for him.

4 hours ago, Carter said:

Yeah I thought Gabriel could figure prominently into the mix. Kid can play. Gabriel choosing OU is a pretty big development, but I also don't think it means Williams is gone for sure. Caleb could very well stay at OU.

Williams loved UGA, we were in tight with him. He could end up coming to UGA, I honestly don't think the competition would scare him away but I do kinda doubt it will be us. Seems like Texas A&M or Ole Miss would be very appealing choices for him.

From everything I read during his recruitment (and reemphasized recently), his best relationship at UGA was really Coley, and between him stinking as OC and then him leaving as well, not sure we have the best connection with CW. It's been confirmed that we are in communication, but at this stage, I have to think we're not the most appealing destination on the surface, so going to take some world class selling/recruiting along with a similarly world class NIL package to bring him in. The 2M number that was thrown out appears to be pure horsepoop internet conjecture, but easily could see him commanding the highest NIL package we have offered anyone else. I'd be excited to see him come in, but I'd be just as excited to see us make a serious move toward figuring out how to develop the QB talent we have in Athens today. I don't know what the right answer/approach is there, but BVG has a high ceiling if we can push him (as does Gunner).

3 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

From everything I read during his recruitment (and reemphasized recently), his best relationship at UGA was really Coley, and between him stinking as OC and then him leaving as well, not sure we have the best connection with CW. It's been confirmed that we are in communication, but at this stage, I have to think we're not the most appealing destination on the surface, so going to take some world class selling/recruiting along with a similarly world class NIL package to bring him in. The 2M number that was thrown out appears to be pure horsepoop internet conjecture, but easily could see him commanding the highest NIL package we have offered anyone else. I'd be excited to see him come in, but I'd be just as excited to see us make a serious move toward figuring out how to develop the QB talent we have in Athens today. I don't know what the right answer/approach is there, but BVG has a high ceiling if we can push him (as does Gunner).

I don't think he's coming right now but it could happen if it's not anywhere else by the end of the week. We have a great situation on paper going into the future and I'd be happy to see that development play out as well, but I think it would be stupid of us to NOT test those waters because Williams has what these QBs don't - experience - and he looks legit.

To be clear I didn't say we had the best relationship with him. I don't think it's useful to frame the conversation or potential transfer that way. Coley was the main guy before he left but we never have just one guy on a top recruit. Coley's been gone for 2 seasons now. We did form a solid relationship with Caleb and he knows what the culture is at UGA. We got BV's commitment and Caleb proceeded with his options. Never heard a single word about there being an issue with Caleb, from what I know we were much more confident in landing BV so when he wanted to stay home we took him. That's just how it goes.

No telling what it might take to land him vs what others have to offer, NIL deals change the landscape and I really don't pay that much attention to the NIL rumors. His top priority is pro development and we have a pretty good card to play there with Monken already having success as a pro coach and OC. I don't know if we are the most appealing on the surface, but there is a whole lot of positive to sell to Caleb Williams fitting into this offense based on what we're doing with Stetson and the supporting cast. Caleb arguably fits right into it and has a much higher level of talent.

Buuut I will believe it when I see it. Not sure why he hasn't picked USC already, plus Texas A&M and Ole Miss are obvious top destinations for playing time with a potentially very good team.

In a sign of the times, Brian Kelly said last night that his focus for the time being will be on building through the portal. LSU had just 38 scholarship players for the Texas Bowl and started a WR at QB. There are still hundreds of players floating around in the portal. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

******* UGH

The good news is a bunch of fans think him and his dog **** stats/performances are actually good because Texas A&M scraped out a win at home vs Bama.

Well that's not really good news. Calzada sucks worse than Bo Nix in every way, even the "pulling a crazy throw out of his *** in the chaos" way.

RIP the butthole. Sorry bro 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

The good news is a bunch of fans think him and his dog **** stats/performances are actually good because Texas A&M scraped out a win at home vs Bama.

Well that's not really good news. Calzada sucks worse than Bo Nix in every way, even the "pulling a crazy throw out of his *** in the chaos" way.

RIP the butthole. Sorry bro 

His stats were worse than Bo's in every category except TD's, but he threw six more picks. 56% completion percentage despite having a possible 1st round draft pick RB next to you.  I mean, we clearly weren't getting Williams, but unless the kid from Texas is already locked in on OU at least kick the tires.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

His stats were worse than Bo's in every category except TD's, but he threw six more picks. 56% completion percentage despite having a possible 1st round draft pick RB next to you.  I mean, we clearly weren't getting Williams, but unless the kid from Texas is already locked in on OU at least kick the tires.

I really thought Calzada would end up at a Sun Belt or MAC school. He has potential with his physical talent, but he is insanely inconsistent and disappears for long stretches of games. Also seems outright careless with the ball at times. He will probably always be remembered fondly at A&M for helping them beat the Tide that night, but absolutely no one was upset to see him transfer... even Jimbo was like "meh"

It will be interesting to see how that QB position shakes out for next season at Auburn. Big yikes that Finley and Calzada could be the best options.

Man this is worse than the pro’s. At least in the pros, a player is under contract “x” amount of years. With these kids, they can transfer anywhere for whoever is willing to pay more. Going to be one wild ride my friends. 

5 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

Man this is worse than the pro’s. At least in the pros, a player is under contract “x” amount of years. With these kids, they can transfer anywhere for whoever is willing to pay more. Going to be one wild ride my friends. 

They only get the one free transfer pass. I think it's why you'll see very hard recruiting efforts toward highly touted freshman transfers (See: Caleb Williams)... functionally, it locks the kid in until they graduate unless they *really* are upset with a situation. 

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

We probably have a clear indication of where Caleb Williams is going. USC QB Jaxson Dart has just entered the portal. 

Reporters were saying that USC was pitching him on making upwards of 5 million dollars total from NIL money if he goes to USC. Pair that up with the coach he originally went to play for at OU and I don’t see much competition for his decision. Always seemed obvious even without the NIL aspect.

Supposedly he is down to USC and UGA but I don’t know how true that really is. I will be very surprised if it’s not USC.