Orange Bowl Thread - #3 Georgia vs #2 Michigan

Pappa-Grande

I saw a silver lining in the terrible sequence to end the first half of the Orange Bowl that ended up showing me something about Kirby Smart I was thrilled about.

After Kendrick picked off McNamara and we got the ball back with just over a minute left in the 2nd quarter, Stetson and the offense wasted a chance to put more points up and we saw Kirby Smart light into him and get visibly angry. As I was watching it play out, I couldn’t figure out why Kirby wasn’t stepping in and calling a timeout himself. He wanted to scream at Stetson and the offense, but he had the ability to intervene. Why didn’t he?

Then it dawned on me. It seemed clear in that moment that he didn’t intervene because he’s stepped back and is allowing Todd Monken the ability to run the offense without interference. And he’s allowing his QB some slack to remain in control of the offense out on the field. While it was frustrating to see us squander a golden opportunity to put more points up, it was refreshing in that moment to see some visible evidence of Kirby Smart attempting to sit back and let the offense do their thing, even if it was the most minor of examples. It clearly frustrated the **** out of Kirby just like the rest of us, but he didn’t intervene until time had expired and everything had played out. I don’t know about y’all, but I saw that as a good thing. I saw it as some progress in Kirby Smart’s evolution as a head coach.

18 hours ago, L.A.Falcon Fan said:

I saw a silver lining in the terrible sequence to end the first half of the Orange Bowl that ended up showing me something about Kirby Smart I was thrilled about.

After Kendrick picked off McNamara and we got the ball back with just over a minute left in the 2nd quarter, Stetson and the offense wasted a chance to put more points up and we saw Kirby Smart light into him and get visibly angry. As I was watching it play out, I couldn’t figure out why Kirby wasn’t stepping in and calling a timeout himself. He wanted to scream at Stetson and the offense, but he had the ability to intervene. Why didn’t he?

Then it dawned on me. It seemed clear in that moment that he didn’t intervene because he’s stepped back and is allowing Todd Monken the ability to run the offense without interference. And he’s allowing his QB some slack to remain in control of the offense out on the field. While it was frustrating to see us squander a golden opportunity to put more points up, it was refreshing in that moment to see some visible evidence of Kirby Smart attempting to sit back and let the offense do their thing, even if it was the most minor of examples. It clearly frustrated the **** out of Kirby just like the rest of us, but he didn’t intervene until time had expired and everything had played out. I don’t know about y’all, but I saw that as a good thing. I saw it as some progress in Kirby Smart’s evolution as a head coach.

Exactly. I made that point a few days ago but it doesnt matter. People will still blame Kirby because it fits their narrative. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 9:33 PM, Carter said:

Kirby said before going into the locker room that he was trying to get them to hurry up and keep being aggressive to score before halftime but they were dragging *** just killing clock. Then the offense came out in the 2nd half and just couldn’t get clicking again like they were. I get it.

Sometimes killing clock is the right thing to do. Before halftime in the playoffs is not one of those times. 

The thing is we've noticed who we assumed to be Kirby lollygagging a few times before the half when there is time to score. I didn't see Kirby get after Stetson, I just assumed it was Kirby being Kirby that we weren't trying to score before the half. 

1 hour ago, fuego said:

The thing is we've noticed who we assumed to be Kirby lollygagging a few times before the half when there is time to score. I didn't see Kirby get after Stetson, I just assumed it was Kirby being Kirby that we weren't trying to score before the half. 

Kirby was screaming at Stetson what do you mean?

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

Kirby was screaming at Stetson what do you mean?

I was referring to Blitz saying Kirby went off on Stetson like the slow play was the team's fault, not Kirby's.  And I was making the point that Kirby has let the clock run out at the half in other games and didn't seem to be interested in scoring. So I thought it was interesting that Kirby was saying it was the team and not him when the same thing has happened before the half in other games. I always thought it was Kirby making that decision.

6 minutes ago, fuego said:

I was referring to Blitz saying Kirby went off on Stetson like the slow play was the team's fault, not Kirby's.  And I was making the point that Kirby has let the clock run out at the half in other games and didn't seem to be interested in scoring. So I thought it was interesting that Kirby was saying it was the team and not him when the same thing has happened before the half in other games. I always thought it was Kirby making that decision.

Kirby was on the sidelines screaming to go and score.

2 hours ago, fuego said:

Kirby was screaming to get the offense going and stetson was running down the clock so there was a miscommunication.  Frankly that falls on monken and kirby to get a timeout called and work out that miscommunication.  

On 1/28/2022 at 11:46 PM, SacFalcFan said:

Kirby was screaming to get the offense going and stetson was running down the clock so there was a miscommunication.  Frankly that falls on monken and kirby to get a timeout called and work out that miscommunication.  

If I recall correctly, they only had one timeout left. My guess is they wanted to save that for a potential field goal try. Not saying that's right or wrong, just how I read the situation.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Carter said:

This crow is my dinner. But I wasn’t the only one who said similar after that first Bama game. But I’m flattered that you guys took the time and effort to dig this up. 

black and white raven GIF

Edited by ALERT