Orange Bowl Thread - #3 Georgia vs #2 Michigan

Pappa-Grande

7 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

I hear ya Carter. Coaches made a huge mistake with their approach defensively. DB’s expected to cover far too long. And Guys have got to take Young down when they get their hands on him. When he scrambles,Take the legs out and the body will follow. And offense just needs to clean up mistakes. Sounds easy but if they did that…. It’d at least been close. 

Yep. The criticism of Stetson has probably been a little harsher than deserved, but he showed those tendencies all season and sure as **** it resulted in turnovers against Bama... and when the defense was getting stops in the 2nd half, our offense just sucked. It's hard to say how much it would have changed though, Bama absolutely played their best game of the season by a mile. Absolutely the better team that night. They've been plagued by inconsistency, so who knows how a potential rematch turns out. Could be totally different, close, or very similar lol. Metchie going out relieved a lot of pressure on our secondary and probably contributed a ton toward our defense getting more stops.

I'm hoping the Dawgs take care of business here with Michigan. How they handle this game will say a lot about what comes next.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:35 AM, Carter said:

Yep. The criticism of Stetson has probably been a little harsher than deserved, but he showed those tendencies all season and sure as **** it resulted in turnovers against Bama... and when the defense was getting stops in the 2nd half, our offense just sucked. It's hard to say how much it would have changed though, Bama absolutely played their best game of the season by a mile. Absolutely the better team that night. They've been plagued by inconsistency, so who knows how a potential rematch turns out. Could be totally different, close, or very similar lol. Metchie going out relieved a lot of pressure on our secondary and probably contributed a ton toward our defense getting more stops.

I'm hoping the Dawgs take care of business here with Michigan. How they handle this game will say a lot about what comes next.

The criticism should not be directed at Stetson. He is what is is and we knew that. He didn’t play bad he played as we expected. The criticism is all toward Kirby for being a coach of a top 5 program and for some reason can’t find anyone to play QB but a walk-on that should be on the scout team. 

If anyone is out there assuming a win over Michigan and then looking to Alabama thinking “we had our bad game so we got this” is setting yourself up for disappointment. NOTHING about this is gonna be easy. Haven’t we learned that by now? Saban will ALWAYS be one step ahead of Kirby in game strategy so it’s gonna have to be talent that wins out. Saban (a better coach) has Bryce Young (a better QB). I’m worried to be honest. 

52 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Not sure where to put this but Alabama’s Josh Jobe is out for the season. Foot surgery. Lost Metchie and now Jobe due to the SEC championship game smh. 

Man I know that’s disappointing. Dawgs went through the whole season with several important players hurt, but fortunately they’re getting back healthy for the playoff. Hate seeing any of these guys get hurt. I hope those guys have a full and speedy recovery and we all get through the playoff without anymore injuries. 

29 minutes ago, Carter said:

Man I know that’s disappointing. Dawgs went through the whole season with several important players hurt, but fortunately they’re getting back healthy for the playoff. Hate seeing any of these guys get hurt. I hope those guys have a full and speedy recovery and we all get through the playoff without anymore injuries. 

All part of the game. No excuses. Just figured my Dawg brothers would like to know. This will come down Georgia/Alabama. I know I know, still other work to be done. Just saying, as info. 

On 12/17/2021 at 8:00 AM, Black Francis said:

Not sure where to put this but Alabama’s Josh Jobe is out for the season. Foot surgery. Lost Metchie and now Jobe due to the SEC championship game smh. 

On 12/17/2021 at 3:00 PM, SacFalcFan said:

Jalyn Armour-Davis..starting DB for bama.. both starting dbs are out. 

Umm What? Ive been hiding under a rock I guess because I had no idea.

I'm sure they have no problem replacing 2 future NFL corners because you know.. Bama

You really hate to see Notre Dame's 273-game home sellout streak come to an  end this weekend | This is the Loop | Golf Digest

29 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Umm What? Ive been hiding under a rock I guess because I had no idea.

I'm sure they have no problem replacing 2 future NFL corners because you know.. Bama

You really hate to see Notre Dame's 273-game home sellout streak come to an  end this weekend | This is the Loop | Golf Digest

Just took a look, TWO true freshman will be looking to start against CIN, one has 2 tackles on the year

1 hour ago, Wardog357 said:

That was a quick turn of events.

Tim watts and other bama guys who know said he is out.  If he does come back then he has unexpectedly improved a lot.  It could happen and we will know more once practice reports come out..  don't believe a thing Saban says about injuries.  Just like with kirby.

11 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Tim watts and other bama guys who know said he is out.  If he does come back then he has unexpectedly improved a lot.  It could happen and we will know more once practice reports come out..  don't believe a thing Saban says about injuries.  Just like with kirby.

💯man. They be lying all the time lol. 

I know this is beating a dead horse at this point, was there ever any consensus as to why JT has essentially been removed from any playing time consideration? 

I understand the inclination to go with Stetson, he’s played mostly well before the Alabama game; limiting turnovers and orchestrating an efficient offense. You go with the hot hand, I get it, and I was also impressed with Stetsons ability to make plays with his feet - I think he masked some of the issues we’ve had with the O-line this season. This isn’t meant to take anything away from Stetson. 

It’s odd that after declaring JT the unopposed starter in the offseason, and after JT had played mostly well prior to his injury, that Kirby seems to be going out of his way *not* to consider playing him. Maybe it’s injury, personal issues, having the confidence of the team, etc. Or even a combination of these factors. But the fact that Kirby went out of his way to get Stetson snaps in the South Carolina game this year (outside of garbage time), and has made little to no effort to take JT off ice after being cleared to play is just weird. I know Kirby isn’t a moron, so there has to be something going on behind the scenes, correct? Otherwise willingly keeping JT from getting playing time going into the playoff is negligent, borderline incompetent decision making. 

I’m not a football coach, and I’m not ignorant enough to throw stones at our staff - I know they know what they’re doing. But **** if this isn’t a mystery to me. I’m sure more will come out after the season. 

2 hours ago, Lennon said:

I know this is beating a dead horse at this point, was there ever any consensus as to why JT has essentially been removed from any playing time consideration? 

I understand the inclination to go with Stetson, he’s played mostly well before the Alabama game; limiting turnovers and orchestrating an efficient offense. You go with the hot hand, I get it, and I was also impressed with Stetsons ability to make plays with his feet - I think he masked some of the issues we’ve had with the O-line this season. This isn’t meant to take anything away from Stetson. 

It’s odd that after declaring JT the unopposed starter in the offseason, and after JT had played mostly well prior to his injury, that Kirby seems to be going out of his way *not* to consider playing him. Maybe it’s injury, personal issues, having the confidence of the team, etc. Or even a combination of these factors. But the fact that Kirby went out of his way to get Stetson snaps in the South Carolina game this year (outside of garbage time), and has made little to no effort to take JT off ice after being cleared to play is just weird. I know Kirby isn’t a moron, so there has to be something going on behind the scenes, correct? Otherwise willingly keeping JT from getting playing time going into the playoff is negligent, borderline incompetent decision making. 

I’m not a football coach, and I’m not ignorant enough to throw stones at our staff - I know they know what they’re doing. But **** if this isn’t a mystery to me. I’m sure more will come out after the season. 

I  have no idea what is actually happening. But having played defense myself and Kirby being a defensive coach, they love tough no nonsense guys. It’s hard for them to flip the switch from their in your face attitude towards a more understanding coach which a QB may need to keep their focus. Yelling at a QB is like yelling at a pitcher, doesnt help the situation. Defensive guys are somewhat angrier than offensive guys. Not saying this is the case but Kirby might be having trouble understanding JT. 

8 hours ago, Lennon said:

Kirby isn't going to play a less talented player or a player that can't win in his opinion a title for the Dawgs.  Kirby is like Monken and very competitive and wants to win big so if they are going with Stetson there is good reason for it.  I know as a fan it is frustrating to see a more talented player sit while a less talented player with obvious limitations play in our most important games at the most important position, but the reality is they are doing it for a reason.  The problem is as with any head coach you can't believe a word they say publicly.  However we have enough information from JT's family and others close to the situation that we know he has been dealing with injuries for the entire season and hasn't thrown much due to that.  So the staff probably believes due to his lack of activity it makes no sense putting him into some of the most important games of the year.  They aren't sitting him because they feel like it, but this is one time we have to trust the coaches since they have more of a handle of what is going on in this situation.  Stetson has really improved this year as a starter, but he is not a guy that is going to win in a shootout so our defense needs to come to play and we have got to be able to run the ball..  The oiline needs to step it up, they played like crap in run blocking against alabama and have struggled at times this year blocking for our running game.  Can we beat Michigan and Alabama with Stetson at qb?  I go back and forth on that question..  If UGA's defense and running game show up we can beat anyone on our schedule even with Stetson, but we have got to be a complete team to win it all and I believe we will be.  JMO. 

12 hours ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Anyone got any info on our practices ? Haven’t seen **** since the L

I think they have had just 2 practices and it was reported JT did get some snaps with the first team, but the majority went to Stetson.  Nothing else really has come out on practice that I have seen since it's close to the media.