The 2001 Miami Hurricanes are one of college football's greatest teams ever

ya_boi_j

Yeah, the AD literally said he fired Solich because he refused to "let the program fall into mediocrity." This was after Solich just finished a 9-3 season. The Chancellor and the AD didn't feel Solich was dominant enough. The AD was literally hired on the basis he would fire Solich. Probably one of the biggest errors in the history of that program.

21 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

A lot of coaches got our coached by Saban. Ut could have been a better opponent than Nebraska 

Good point! That second half just really stunk that night in Atlanta. This is somewhat off topic to the main post, but one of these days, I'm going to make it to a night game in Blacksburg. Those games look really exciting.

I do remember that you guys played UM tough in 01, same with Boston College, but they found a way to win like Championship teams do. The 01 Hurricanes were definitely fun to watch.

12 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, the AD literally said he fired Solich because he refused to "let the program fall into mediocrity." This was after Solich just finished a 9-3 season. The Chancellor and the AD didn't feel Solich was dominant enough. The AD was literally hired on the basis he would fire Solich. Probably one of the biggest errors in the history of that program.

I remember that AD, Steve Pederson. He was also at Pittsburgh for a couple different times.

Did he really think that Bill Callahan would be an improvement over Solich? While he wasn't Osborne, Solich was still a darn good coach.

5 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

I remember that AD, Steve Pederson. He was also at Pittsburgh for a couple different times.

Did he really think that Bill Callahan would be an improvement over Solich? While he wasn't Osborne, Solich was still a darn good coach.

He did. He said Callahan was an excellent recruiter and would bring Nebraska into the modern offense. Pederson was fired as AD the same season as Callahan was fired 

24 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

Good point! That second half just really stunk that night in Atlanta. This is somewhat off topic to the main post, but one of these days, I'm going to make it to a night game in Blacksburg. Those games look really exciting.

I do remember that you guys played UM tough in 01, same with Boston College, but they found a way to win like Championship teams do. The 01 Hurricanes were definitely fun to watch.

Oh. Any talk of a Trip to Blacksburg is Germaine to the conversation.  It’s a really good time and atmosphere. It’s not neyland but what is. It’s really loud and rocking per capita. 

I think you hit a point that champions have that one game they squeak by with. Think Clemson vs nc state where state barely lost on a missed fg

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

Oh. Any talk of a Trip to Blacksburg is Germaine to the conversation.  It’s a really good time and atmosphere. It’s not neyland but what is. It’s really loud and rocking per capita. 

I think you hit a point that champions have that one game they squeak by with. Think Clemson vs nc state where state barely lost on a missed fg

Definitely plan on coming up one weekend for a game in Blacksburg! Definitely looking forward to it for sure.

Thanks. Seems like most Championship teams have "that moment" that defines the championship. Much like the Clint Stoerner fumble in 98 for UT vs Arkansas, Pick six for OU vs A&M in 2000, Ed Reed with the lateral vs BC is 2001, etc. There's either that loss or almost loss that just just nearly trips up a championship team.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

He did. He said Callahan was an excellent recruiter and would bring Nebraska into the modern offense. Pederson was fired as AD the same season as Callahan was fired 

He earned every bit of that firing from Nebraska. For whatever reason, Pitt brought him back then he fired Dave Wansteadt (sic) brought in some other guy who was fired before coaching a single game due to domestic violence changes but I'm not sure how long he kept his job up there after that.

52 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

Definitely plan on coming up one weekend for a game in Blacksburg! Definitely looking forward to it for sure.

Thanks. Seems like most Championship teams have "that moment" that defines the championship. Much like the Clint Stoerner fumble in 98 for UT vs Arkansas, Pick six for OU vs A&M in 2000, Ed Reed with the lateral vs BC is 2001, etc. There's either that loss or almost loss that just just nearly trips up a championship team.

It beats Bristol. I mean Bristol was amazing but you can’t see the field. Youll have fun. They even sell beer in there now. 

thats a good memory of games. 

Solich was an option coach. It was clear at the time CFB was becoming a passing game and you weren’t going to be a real team playing the option anymore. Firing Solich was not that bad a move. 

Firing Pellini on the other hand is far less justified. 

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Solich was an option coach. It was clear at the time CFB was becoming a passing game and you weren’t going to be a real team playing the option anymore. Firing Solich was not that bad a move. 

Firing Pellini on the other hand is far less justified. 

Or would his ground control offense been the perfect answer to the Big 12's shift towards passing heavy. We'll never know but it's hard to justify firing a guy that was 58-19 and coming off 10-3 with the bowl in the first year of an overhauled staff. The Pelini firing was just as questionable for sure. Nebraska seems to get in their own way thinking the grass is always greener. 

23 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

It beats Bristol. I mean Bristol was amazing but you can’t see the field. Youll have fun. They even sell beer in there now. 

thats a good memory of games. 

One of my good friends said about Bristol "the most fun I hope I never have again.", mostly because they can't see the field, like you say.

Thanks! I used to be much more into it than I am now, but still remember plenty of old memories of games. Those were some great times.

40 minutes ago, eddiesauto said:

One of my good friends said about Bristol "the most fun I hope I never have again.", mostly because they can't see the field, like you say.

Thanks! I used to be much more into it than I am now, but still remember plenty of old memories of games. Those were some great times.

Yeah sometimes all we have to fall back on are the halcyon days of yore. Many exciting games played. 

• 2 weeks later...