The 2001 Miami Hurricanes are one of college football's greatest teams ever

ya_boi_j

32 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

2016 Alabama went 14-1 losing by 4 points in the national championship game to a team with a NFL Pro Bowl QB. They won the national championship the next season. That was a historically elite group. They had talent everywhere, including where they could really hurt Miami, at interior DL. As mentioned, they may have had the most loaded interior DL group of all time. Do you want Brett Romberg blocking Jonathan Allen and Da'Ron Payne every play of the game? They would have given Miami everything they could handle. 

And Romberg was an All American and Rimington award winner lol. I’m sure he would have been up for the challenge 

20 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

They lost. That historically great d line had 1.5 sacks against Watson that night. I bet you don’t know what any members of that Clemson o line did in the the NFL, do you? That great d line had 2.5 tackles for losses against Clemson. That’s elite production I tell you against that vaunted Clemson o line

Deshaun Watson isn't a sitting duck like Ken Dorsey. 

Not every team gets to play Eric Crouch for the national championship. 

Edited by Summerhill

34 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Deshaun Watson isn't a sitting duck like Ken Dorsey. 

Not every team gets to play Eric Crouch for the national championship. 

Shouldn’t have been Crouch that night either. I agree with that sentiment. But that historically great d line had 1 sack against Washington and 2 TFLs in the semifinals. Stop it man lol. I can provide more stats from games this “historically great d line” did the absolute bare minimum in 2016. Against Auburn that d line had 2 TFLs and 1 sack. Stop it I say🤣🤣

46 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

But that historically great d line had 1 sack against Washington and 2 TFLs in the semifinals. Stop it man lol. I can provide more stats from games this “historically great d line” did the absolute bare minimum in 2016. Against Auburn that d line had 2 TFLs and 1 sack. Stop it I say🤣🤣

Interior DL are there to stop the run and push the pocket. In that game, Clemson only had 91 yards rushing on 42 attempts. 

On 11/18/2021 at 9:52 PM, SacFalcFan said:

Individual talent it's hard to argue, but the greatest team is impossible to really say..  I would put up those cornhuskers coached by osbourne against any team out there.. They were downright nasty.  It's really amazing how quickly things fell apart for Miami and how almost 2 decades later they are still not back. just crazy they have screwed up soo bad. 

That’s what happens when the administration doesn’t value sports. Thankfully Herbstriet called them out

On 11/20/2021 at 7:41 PM, VTCrunkler said:

There was zero weakness about this team 

Yes they looked really good playing the opponents they played in 2001 but I'm talking about how they would fare against the best teams of the last 20 years. 

Let's look at the best teams they played in 2001: 

• FSU
    • Final record: 8-4
    • QB: Chris Rix, freshman
    • Notable players: Greg Jones, Javon Walker, Darnell Dockett
  • Syracuse
    • Final record: 10-3
    • QB: RJ Anderson
    • Notable players: Dwight Freeney, David Tyree
  • Washington
    • QB: Cody Pickett
    • Notable players: Jerramy Stevens, Khalif Barnes, Larry Triplett
  • Virginia Tech (Miami won by 2 points) 
    • QB: Grant Noel
    • Notable players: Kevin Jones, Andre Davis, Ernest Wilford, Jake Grove
  • Nebraska
    • Final record: 11-2
    • QB: Eric Crouch
    • Notable players: Toniu Fonoti, Scott Shanle

That's it. That's who they proved themselves as one of the best teams ever against. They only played one team that lost fewer than 4 games and the best QB they played was Cody Pickett. They needed a miracle to beat a mediocre post-Michael Vick Virginia Tech. I haven't even mentioned the game against Boston College that Miami's offense scored 12 points. 

On 11/20/2021 at 7:41 PM, VTCrunkler said:

There was zero weakness about this team 

Now let's discuss their weaknesses.

QB: Ken Dorsey was a college QB and that's it. At this time it wasn't very common to have good NFL QBs on teams good enough to win national championships, but as more attention has been paid to high school recruiting the past 10-20 years, the good teams have figured out how to find the good QBs. Dorsey is really far down the list of national championship QBs of the last 20 years in the neighborhood of Greg McElroy, John Parker Wilson, and Matt Flynn. The best QBs include Mac Jones, Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Jalen Hurts, and Jameis Winston.

OL: This was a good college unit but only produced one lasting NFL player, Bryant McKinnie, who was a beast. The best national championship line of this time period is 2008 Florida with Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Pouncey, and Marcus Gilbert. 

WR: Andre Johnson was a beast but was only a sophomore in 2001 with 682 yards. He was much better in 2002 with 1,092 yards. The #2 WR was Kevin Beard. That's pretty weak. The best #2 WR on a national championship team of this period was Justin Jefferson. In 2017 Alabama had Calvin Ridley, Devonta Smith, Henry Ruggs, and Jerry Jeudy all on the same team. 

DL: This was a good college line but the upperclassmen were just a bunch of guys. The only really good pro on the team was freshman Vince Wilfork who wasn't even a starter. 2016 Alabama had Jonathan Allen and Da'Ron Payne playing next to each other. Most championship lines only had 1 good NFL player so it's not that Miami's was bad, it just doesn't stand out any more than every other championship DL. 

CB: Their starters were Mike Rumpf and Philip Buchanon. Rumpf was a total bust in the NFL and Buchanon was a career NCB. Probably the best CB tandem of the last 20 years was 2008 Florida with Joe Haden and Janoris Jenkins. 

Edited by Summerhill

25 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

WR: Andre Johnson was a beast but was only a sophomore in 2001 with 682 yards. He was much better in 2002 with 1,092 yards.

Speaking of, in my opinion the 2002 Miami team was better. Dorsey had a bigger year passing, Andre Johnson had reached a new level, Willis McGahee was an upgrade over Clinton Portis, all the defensive linemen were a year older, all the LBs were a year older, and Sean Taylor and Antrel Rolle started playing more. You lose Bryant McKinnie and Ed Reed, who are all timers, but I think the improvements with all the other players made up for it. 

2 hours ago, Summerhill said:

mediocre post-Michael Vick Virginia Tech.

That mediocre team was #14 at the time. I was at the game. 
in 2000 Vick was injured and didn’t play in the Miami game and we were one game away from the fiesta bowl. Instead we played a truly mediocre Clemson team. Beat their door down. But even back then I noticed their tremendous fan support. It was the primordial soup for the eventual juggernaut they would become. 

im no Miami hostorian but I have watched a lot of their football. Particularly from 1997-2005. Virginia Tech, my alma Mater, has played them real tough during that timespan. I’m proud of that because they had one of the largest collection of college and future pro talent during that time. You can parse out the nuances of each team and each year but during the 01-2003/4 time period in which I lump otgether, they were one of the best teams ever talent wise. 

speaking of Ken Dorsey. He’s probably the most underrated college qb ever. But heck you didn’t need a future HOF qb behind that assemblage of said talent. And this is coming from a rival fan!

2 hours ago, Summerhill said:

That's

So they won the title that year. Beat the huskers and heisman winner. Six first team all Americans. I Never relaized that. First year HC. 

I don’t think that just because someone wasn’t a hof means they were weak. I wouldn’t describe Dorsey as weak. He’s not Joe burrow but he wasn’t weak imo. 

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Speaking of, in my opinion the 2002 Miami team was better. Dorsey had a bigger year passing, Andre Johnson had reached a new level, Willis McGahee was an upgrade over Clinton Portis, all the defensive linemen were a year older, all the LBs were a year older, and Sean Taylor and Antrel Rolle started playing more. You lose Bryant McKinnie and Ed Reed, who are all timers, but I think the improvements with all the other players made up for it. 

I can see this. 

54 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Look at the offensive lines they had. They were all barely touched. And not to mention coaching and defenses. They are all set up to be great. 

Look what they're doing in the NFL. They are all miles ahead of Dorsey. 

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

speaking of Ken Dorsey. He’s probably the most underrated college qb ever. But heck you didn’t need a future HOF qb behind that assemblage of said talent. And this is coming from a rival fan!

We all watch football. If you have two teams with good talent and one team has a really good QB and the other has a lesser QB, the team with the really good QB wins most of the time. Dorsey would have held that team back against the best of the best of all time. 

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

That mediocre team was #14 at the time. I was at the game. 

That was a fine team for the Big East at the time and good for Va Tech to show they could still have life without Vick. But if that is the hardest game Miami had to play that year, it's not terribly impressive. 

2008 Florida played a UGA team with Matthew Stafford, AJ Green, Knowshon Moreno, Clint Boling, Cordy Glenn, Ben Jones, Geno Atkins, Dannell Ellerbe, Justin Houston, and Reshad Jones and beat them by 39 points. 

35 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

That was a fine team for the Big East at the time and good for Va Tech to show they could still have life without Vick. But if that is the hardest game Miami had to play that year, it's not terribly impressive. 

2008 Florida played a UGA team with Matthew Stafford, AJ Green, Knowshon Moreno, Clint Boling, Cordy Glenn, Ben Jones, Geno Atkins, Dannell Ellerbe, Justin Houston, and Reshad Jones and beat them by 39 points. 

VT played that same uga team in the bowl and was up 21-3 at halftime.  Guess what happened on the second half.