The 2001 Miami Hurricanes are one of college football's greatest teams ever

ya_boi_j

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

The absolute greatest collection of talent ever assembled. Man that team was something special

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I think this team is more a collection of talent over a 3-4 year period than one super team ready to compete against the greatest teams of all time just based on their 2001 starting lineup. Much of their talent was at redundant positions (super stacked at RB, TE, and S) and many were freshmen without much playing time at this early stage. They had weaknesses with Bryant McKinnie being the only OL to have any kind of NFL career and their CBs were also not very good pros. 

53 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I think this team is more a collection of talent over a 3-4 year period than one super team ready to compete against the greatest teams of all time just based on their 2001 starting lineup. Much of their talent was at redundant positions (super stacked at RB, TE, and S) and many were freshmen without much playing time at this early stage. They had weaknesses with Bryant McKinnie being the only OL to have any kind of NFL career and their CBs were also not very good pros. 

What they did in the pros has absolutely nothing to do what they did in college 

Individual talent it's hard to argue, but the greatest team is impossible to really say..  I would put up those cornhuskers coached by osbourne against any team out there.. They were downright nasty.  It's really amazing how quickly things fell apart for Miami and how almost 2 decades later they are still not back. just crazy they have screwed up soo bad. 

16 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

What they did in the pros has absolutely nothing to do what they did in college 

The NFL separates which players are the best of the best from the players who were just good against the other players that weren't the best of the best. 

I think 2020 Alabama, 2019 Alabama, 2019 LSU, 2013 FSU, and 2008 UF would have given them problems based on matchups at key position groups. 

Edited by Summerhill

14 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

The NFL separates which players are the best of the best from the players who were just good against the other players that weren't the best of the best. 

I think 2020 Alabama, 2019 Alabama, 2019 LSU, 2013 FSU, and 2008 UF would have given them problems based on matchups at key position groups. 

I guess you think Manziel was horrible in college since he didn’t do anything in the NFL? Tebow was trashed in the pros. So the 2008 UF wouldn’t have done anything because he was their star player. Tell me what players from the 2013 FSU team has been to the pro bowl or been decent in the NFL? 2019 and 2020 Bama doesn’t have difference makers in the NFL yet so we don’t know how good those teams truly are. LSU is in the same boat. All this is going by your logic. 

6 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I guess you think Manziel was horrible in college since he didn’t do anything in the NFL? Tebow was trashed in the pros. So the 2008 UF wouldn’t have done anything because he was their star player. Tell me what players from the 2013 FSU team has been to the pro bowl or been decent in the NFL? 2019 and 2020 Bama doesn’t have difference makers in the NFL yet so we don’t know how good those teams truly are. LSU is in the same boat. All this is going by your logic. 

Football is about matchups and once again while Miami was loaded at certain positions (RB, TE, LB, S), they were relatively weak at other positions (QB, OL, DL, CB). Some of the other top teams since them have particular strengths to exploit Miami's matchup problems.

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Football is about matchups and once again while Miami was loaded at certain positions (RB, TE, LB, S), they were relatively weak at other positions (QB, OL, DL, CB). Some of the other top teams since them have particular strengths to exploit Miami's matchup problems.

But you didn’t answer my question about Manziel in college. Do you think he was a scrub in college because he was a scrub in the NFL?

12 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

But you didn’t answer my question about Manziel in college. Do you think he was a scrub in college because he was a scrub in the NFL?

Of course Manziel was good in college. But despite his maturity problems, the NFL proved he was basically taking advantage of less talented players in college. NFL players could handle him fine. When you consider Manziel compared to the other top college QBs of the last 20-30 years, he's fairly far down the list. 

20 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Of course Manziel was good in college. But despite his maturity problems, the NFL proved he was basically taking advantage of less talented players in college. NFL players could handle him fine. When you consider Manziel compared to the other top college QBs of the last 20-30 years, he's fairly far down the list. 

I mean yeah the NFL has more talented players. That goes without saying. But it has a lot more to do with the NFL has grown men that are at their physical peak compared to 18-22 year olds that hasn’t matured physically yet.

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

I mean yeah the NFL has more talented players. That goes without saying. But it has a lot more to do with the NFL has grown men that are at their physical peak compared to 18-22 year olds that are matured physically yet. 

And that's what I'm saying about Miami. Sure, all the players looked great compared to who they played in 2001, but do you want 2001 Mike Rumpf and Philip Buchanon playing 1-on-1 against 2019 Jamarr Chase and Justin Jefferson with Joe Burrow throwing to them? No. They're getting roasted. 

1 minute ago, Summerhill said:

And that's what I'm saying about Miami. Sure, all the players looked great compared to who they played in 2001, but do you want 2001 Mike Rumpf and Philip Buchanon playing 1-on-1 against 2019 Jamarr Chase and Justin Jefferson with Joe Burrow throwing to them? No. They're getting roasted. 

Can’t compare players from different generations. What you could do against offenses in 2001 you can’t do in 2021. Georgia has the best defense in America and will probably win the natty. They couldn’t contain that LSU squad. But LSU o line would get absolutely manhandled by Miami’s d line. 

3 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

And Miami entire Two deep DL played in the NFL. And the corners were actually very good. Not close to weak. And the OL wasn’t close to weak either. But anyway that’s another story

Other than Wilfork who was a freshman, the other DL were journeymen. 2008 UF had the most talented starting OL at their physical peaks in the last 20-30 years with juniors Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Pouncey, and Marcus Gilbert. 

10 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Other than Wilfork who was a freshman, the other DL were journeymen. 2008 UF had the most talented starting OL at their physical peaks in the last 20-30 years with juniors Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Pouncey, and Marcus Gilbert. 

Like I said the entire two deep played in the NFL. UF had a horrible QB by your logic though. And we all know the QB is what makes an Urban Meyer’s offense

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Like I said the entire two deep played in the NFL. UF had a horrible QB by your logic though. And we all know the QB is what makes an Urban Meyer’s offense

Once again, only one DL had any kind of a NFL career and he was a freshman. 2016 Alabama didn't win the national championship, but they had Dalvin Tomlinson, Quinnen Williams, Jonathan Allen, and Da'Ron Payne at the same time. 

34 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Can’t compare players from different generations. What you could do against offenses in 2001 you can’t do in 2021. Georgia has the best defense in America and will probably win the natty. They couldn’t contain that LSU squad. But LSU o line would get absolutely manhandled by Miami’s d line. 

2019 LSU played against Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson, Raekwon Davis, and Christian Barmore. That's at least as good as what Miami had. 

20 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Once again, only one DL had any kind of a NFL career and he was a freshman. 2016 Alabama didn't win the national championship, but they had Dalvin Tomlinson, Quinnen Williams, Jonathan Allen, and Da'Ron Payne at the same time. 

What does the 2016 Tide have to do with anything I’m saying? I fail to see the connection 

11 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I wouldn’t put the 2016 Tide as historically elite though. So again I fail to see that connection 

2016 Alabama went 14-1 losing by 4 points in the national championship game to a team with a NFL Pro Bowl QB. They won the national championship the next season. That was a historically elite group. They had talent everywhere, including where they could really hurt Miami, at interior DL. As mentioned, they may have had the most loaded interior DL group of all time. Do you want Brett Romberg blocking Jonathan Allen and Da'Ron Payne every play of the game? They would have given Miami everything they could handle. 

18 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

2016 Alabama went 14-1 losing by 4 points in the national championship game to a team with a NFL Pro Bowl QB. They won the national championship the next season. That was a historically elite group. They had talent everywhere, including where they could really hurt Miami, at interior DL. As mentioned, they may have had the most loaded interior DL group of all time. Do you want Brett Romberg blocking Jonathan Allen and Da'Ron Payne every play of the game? They would have given Miami everything they could handle. 

They lost. That historically great d line had 1.5 sacks against Watson that night. I bet you don’t know what any members of that Clemson o line did in the the NFL, do you? That great d line had 2.5 tackles for losses against Clemson. That’s elite production I tell you against that vaunted Clemson o line