2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

8 minutes ago, Ransack said:

They both need to tread lightly. Even more people will turn them off for good if there's a repeat of 1994. Too many people have struggled the past 2 years to listen to millionaires argue with billionaires.

Especially since they don't have steroids to save them like they did in the years following the last lockout.

So, the Mets have an interesting plan. They intend to hire a GM ro run things for 2022. They then plan to lure David Stearns to NY from Milwaukee to take over after 2022. They were denied permission to interview Stearns but hes a free agent after 2022. So they want to hire a guy to run the organization for one year, then report to Stearns after that. 

21 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

So, the Mets have an interesting plan. They intend to hire a GM ro run things for 2022. They then plan to lure David Stearns to NY from Milwaukee to take over after 2022. They were denied permission to interview Stearns but hes a free agent after 2022. So they want to hire a guy to run the organization for one year, then report to Stearns after that. 

Who wouldn't jump at that opportunity?

12 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

MLB is proposing to eliminate arbitration. All pre FA players would be awarded a salary based on their WAR. MLB would recognize FanGraph's WAR for official salary determination. 

Is this really any different though? It's still a salary determined by the previous year's results. I guess I takes away the negotiation process.

9 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Is this really any different though? It's still a salary determined by the previous year's results. I guess I takes away the negotiation process.

From the sounds of it, it's your total career WAR that would matter instead of 1 year. Looking at WAR would help guys who are stronger with the glove. The arbitration process typically looks at batting stats more than anything. Having WAR would help those guys who aren't as strong offensively get more value. The union is said to not be thrilled by the offer though.