2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

Off-season Key Dates

November 3: The beginning of a five-day period where teams and players must decide whether to exercise or decline contract options and opt-out clauses for the 2022 season. Eligible free agents cannot sign with anyone but their current team for five more days.

November 7, 4:00 pm CST: The deadline for teams to issue qualifying offers (one-year, $18.4MM contracts) to eligible free agents. For a breakdown of the draft choices teams would forfeit by signing a qualified free agent, see here.

November 8: Free agency officially opens.

November 8-11: General managers’ meetings, hosted in Carlsbad, California.

November 17: Deadline for players tagged with a qualifying offer to accept or reject the QO.

November 19: Deadline for teams to add players to the 40-man roster to keep them from selection in the Rule 5 draft.

December 1, 11:59 pm: Expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement. If MLB and the MLBPA do not agree on a new CBA by then, the league may institute a lockout that freezes teams’ ability to make transactions until negotiations are resolved.

December 2: The deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players.

December 6-9: Winter meetings scheduled to take place in Orlando, Florida.

December 8: Rule 5 draft.

December 15: Conclusion of the 2020-21 international amateur signing period. Typically scheduled to run from July through June, the 2020-21 and 2021-22 international signing periods were delayed to run from January through December as part of MLB’s COVID-19 rules changes.

January 14, 2022: Date for teams and arbitration-eligible players to exchange filing figures. Teams and players are still free to settle and avoid arbitration after this date, although many clubs elect to proceed with a “file-and-trial” strategy — essentially deciding to proceed to a hearing with any players with whom a settlement is not reached by then.

January 15, 2022: The scheduled start of the 2021-22 international amateur signing period. The 2021-22 period is scheduled to run through December 15, 2022.

February 26, 2022: First games of Spring Training.

March 31, 2022: Opening Day.

38 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Kicking off the offseason with Houston news...

Greinke announced he will not seek a new deal with Houston. He will only pitch for an NL team according to reports. 

Dusty will get a 1 year extension. 

Pitching coach Brent Strom is retiring. 

I wonder what his reasoning is. If the NL gets the DH, he won't get to hit.

I am anxious to see what the Braves do.

I really .... REALLY hope that they keep Duvall, Soler and Rosario.

Having those 3 with Acuna would be so fun.

A mean a first 7 of Ronald, Freddie, Soler, Riley, Rosario, Duvall, Ozzie.......I mean that is just stupid fun to think about.

It will Also be interesting to see how the pitching shakes out.

There are 3 spots on lockdown with  Fried, Anderson , and Morton and then you have the injury question with Soroka and the "who the **** knows" with Touki, Wright, Davidson, Mueller,Ynoa and I am sure another youngster will throw their name in the ring.

Do the braves make a pitch for a guy like Scherzer, Verlander or even Greinke? Or another established vet pitcher Or do they just roll with the young guys in the last couple spots?

Even with all of the young talent I think this past post season showed that you never ever can have too much starting pitching.

A couple injuries and a well placed restraining order can destroy your rotation (isn't that right LA?)

I know Freddy wants to stay a brave but what happens if a Southern CA team backs up the Brinks truck and hands him a blank check?

Do they work on extensions for guys like Dansby who all but pleaded to stay home?

This is going to be a very interesting offseason......... If there is one.

5 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Posey walked away from $22M remaining in his deal. He wants to go home and be with his young children. You might remember he skipped 2020 after the birth of his twins 

Gonna see this more and more, they make ridiculous money. Once they get over a certain number(Posey has made ($145,875,000) on baseball alone

8 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Gonna see this more and more, they make ridiculous money. Once they get over a certain number(Posey has made ($145,875,000) on baseball alone

Posey was also an investor in the Body Armour sports drink. They just sold to Coke for $8 Billion. I'm sure he was handsomely rewarded for his shares. 

55 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Posey walked away from $22M remaining in his deal. He wants to go home and be with his young children. You might remember he skipped 2020 after the birth of his twins 

It's also come out that Freddie talked about retiring during Spring Training for the same reason. As some had speculated, he was miserable because he was away from his infant, not-twin (but close enough) children.

16 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Posey was also an investor in the Body Armour sports drink. They just sold to Coke for $8 Billion. I'm sure he was handsomely rewarded for his shares. 

Yep. Kobe invested $6 million and it’s now worth $400 million. His family will be eating good for generations off that deal alone

So as of now OF options are Ronnie, Pache, Duvall, Joc (if he picks up player option) and as much as people want to deny it Ozuna.

Will Braves look to keep Rosario or Soler? I feel like 1 of them will be too much and Rosario has the higher upside IMO if he stays healthy.

Would love to see them make a play for a vet SP but Freddie comes first. Would they package one of our 3 OF prospects and a pitcher or 2 for a big bat if we lose Rosario and/or Soler?

• Unknøwn changed the title to 2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread