Conference Realignment

dirtybirds233

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2022 at 11:05 PM, Unknøwn said:

I think its clear we're moving towards two super conferences. SEC will probably absorb most of the ACC and the Big Ten will get the others out west. They might be able to do something for other sports because I don't know how a super conference would look in basketball, baseball, etc. 

Agreed. Think about the lower rung sports like gymnastics, track, etc. and the insane travel logistics that would be involved. 

It may be that football will indeed break off into its own thing and leave the other sports to work something out for themselves. 

Edited by The True7

10 hours ago, tl;dr said:

My thought would be FSU, Clemson, Miami and someone else (UNC maybe?). 

Would be interesting to see if UNC would leave Duke though 

Georgia Tech has always wanted back in the SEC. But when the dust settles it won’t look like the SEC as we know it now. Tech may eventually be relegated to a conference such as the Sun Belt. 

On 7/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, tl;dr said:

My thought would be FSU, Clemson, Miami and someone else (UNC maybe?). 

Would be interesting to see if UNC would leave Duke though 

My opinion is the SEC and Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC haven't announced anything because of that "grant of rights" with the ACC.  They have to figure a way out of it or negotiate with the ACC on yearly payments.  What I'm curious about is who gets the money if every one of those teams dissolves and the ACC has to disband.  The league could exist on a paper and I assume the money would be divided among the schools as per the contract.

The ACC commissioner destroyed that league AND the Pac12 (who dubiously sided with the ACC) when they blocked that 12 team playoff.  Way back then I knew that was a bad move. Going forward, Oregon and Washington should join the Big10.  The rest of that league will join the Big12 and whats left of the ACC.  Notre Dame will and should join the Big10.  Rumors are they will want Stanford to join them.

The question and its very real is this:  Will the former Pac12 and ACC members who can't get into the Big10, SEC or Big12 be regulated to a division 2 type league that they have to create?  Their only hope is the Big12 becoming the Big20 or Big24 or something along those lines. Everybody believes the Big10 and SEC could expand to 24 teams or so.  I don't think so. I see maybe 20 teams each at the max which leaves a lot of teams out.  

If the Big10 and SEC break off from the NCAA and form their own league, they could create a 8 team playoff.  Top 4 teams in each conference.  Each conference has a divisonal round and then a conference championship game.  The winner of both the conference championship games meet for the national title.  The money is gonna be huge and the product will reach NFL levels if not surpass the NFL.  Its that big of a deal.  This league could still subsidize the other sports on campus.  Thats not a big deal.  Uniformity with rules will come about and the league can collective bargain with the players for pay, bonuses. etc.  Its coming and the SEC and Big10 know it.

8 hours ago, Spts1 said:

My opinion is the SEC and Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC haven't announced anything because of that "grant of rights" with the ACC.  They have to figure a way out of it or negotiate with the ACC on yearly payments.  What I'm curious about is who gets the money if every one of those teams dissolves and the ACC has to disband.  The league could exist on a paper and I assume the money would be divided among the schools as per the contract.

If 8 ACC teams leave they TV contract becomes voided and they don’t have to worry about the grant of rights 

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

If 8 ACC teams leave they TV contract becomes voided and they don’t have to worry about the grant of rights 

Where are you getting that information from?  As much as this has been dissected by the media, that would be common knowledge.  Furthermore, that ACC contract is soo bad in the current market that getting 8 teams to bounce so that every team could get out of that contract would have been done yesterday.

5 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Where are you getting that information from?  As much as this has been dissected by the media, that would be common knowledge.  Furthermore, that ACC contract is soo bad in the current market that getting 8 teams to bounce so that every team could get out of that contract would have been done yesterday.

Someone on Twitter posted the entire contract and a couple people read it

Apparently if 8 of the schools want out at the same time they can dissolve the conference and get out without having to pay the exit fee and the conference losing the media rights. If we can go out with 7 others 4 to each of the new conferences we should be fine. Schools like Wake Forest are ****ting their pants right now

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.canesinsight.com/threads/acc-grant-of-rights-explained.178365/%3Famp%3D1

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

There's some rumblings that the Pac 12 and ACC could sign a partnership. Would give the remaining Pac 12 teams access to more P5 opponents and give the ACC a chance to get more media revenue. 

I think in the end they will create a west coast division which would be another power conference.. the issue for the pac-12 is you have some schools like stanford and cal who think they are better than other programs and wouldn't want to be with any team in the big 12 and they are holding their nose with programs like utah for instance.. I can see all of the pac-12 teams join the big 12 and stanford and cal end up in the big 10.. it will hurt their nonrevenue sports, but get a bigger payday.  I see on a lot of boards fans saying the big 12 and pac 12 are dead and that is complete horsecrap.  You have some bigtime programs in oklahoma state that has some of the biggest viewership in the country.  People need to understand at this point it's no longer tv market.. it is how many eyes are watching said program.. I was reading a great thread on a uga board about it and oklahoma state has some of best ratings/viewership of any big 12 or even pac-12 team out there..  

The big 12 having teams in texas, florida, and ohio is pretty dang good..  That is huge for recruiting. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I think in the end they will create a west coast division which would be another power conference.. the issue for the pac-12 is you have some schools like stanford and cal who think they are better than other programs and wouldn't want to be with any team in the big 12 and they are holding their nose with programs like utah for instance.. I can see all of the pac-12 teams join the big 12 and stanford and cal end up in the big 10.. it will hurt their nonrevenue sports, but get a bigger payday.  I see on a lot of boards fans saying the big 12 and pac 12 are dead and that is complete horsecrap.  You have some bigtime programs in oklahoma state that has some of the biggest viewership in the country.  People need to understand at this point it's no longer tv market.. it is how many eyes are watching said program.. I was reading a great thread on a uga board about it and oklahoma state has some of best ratings/viewership of any big 12 or even pac-12 team out there..  

The big 12 having teams in texas, florida, and ohio is pretty dang good..  That is huge for recruiting. 

Yeah the Big 12 is going to be fine. They have enough to keep them going. The Pac 12 will probably exist in some form. They may not be a "P5" exactly but they were the exactly getting much love anyway. 

More details. Big 12 apparently is of no interest to Oregon or Washington right now. The Big 12's eyes appear to be bigger than its stomach at the moment. Big Ten considers itself mostly done except ND. They only want ND at the moment. Oregon and Washington currently view the Big Ten as its best option outside of the Pac. 

Phil Knight has signed off on Oregon changing but he wants the Big Ten or SEC. 

9 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Would not be suprised if the SEC is not interested at all with Clemson. Just 2 small of a market  already captured with the  SEC Gamecocks. No need to share the pie with them.

Population of Atlanta is bigger than the whole state of South Carolina. 

Unless the SEC is willing to expand outside of the southeast, Clemson is the best from a football standpoint. They’ve become a national brand and are one of the premier programs in CFB right now. They’ve played in more title games than every SEC team not named Alabama combined in the CFP era. Alabama is the only team that’s played in more title games than them. They would add a lot of interest in terms of football. 

The problem is that most of the schools that bring in new markets right now don’t really bring much to the table in terms of football or are just too far away. Basketball wise you could add UNC and Duke, but Duke in football? Meh. UNC is a little better in football but I can’t get too excited about them. 

Honestly I hope this stuff caps at 16 teams. If so, the SEC is in a very good spot. What I don’t want is the SEC to add teams just to add them. Don’t add like VT and UVA just to say you did 

11 hours ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Miami brings absolutely nothing to the SEC other than cocaine, which admittedly is pretty good. We already have the panhandle with the Jorts. And Clemson can get fcked. We dont need any of these schools. 

I mean SEC could look at UNC and Virginia. That's the hole in the footprint. NC is a top 25 media market that the ACC has sole possession of. Virginia would be a top 50 addition as well and complete the southeastern footprint. That's what it's all about. Who can make the most money.

Adding Miami would also be access tl the #18 media market. 

54 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I mean SEC could look at UNC and Virginia. That's the hole in the footprint. NC is a top 25 media market that the ACC has sole possession of. Virginia would be a top 50 addition as well and complete the southeastern footprint. That's what it's all about. Who can make the most money.

UNC would be a great get but will they come along without Duke? Them and VA are also AAU schools and would probably be targets for the B1G as well. I've got a feeling VA Tech and NCState are the SEC schools in that footprint. VA doesnt really have the SEC fanbase.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

You’re a Duke fan right? Do you think UNC would leave Duke behind?

33 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

You’re a Duke fan right? Do you think UNC would leave Duke behind?

I do, rivalry games are not a dealbreaker anymore. We watched OU leave OK State, Oregon is trying to leave Oregon State, A&M bounced on Texas. People go where the money is and the SEC would provide that. Plus in basketball there's more opportunity for nonconference games and that's the big deal to both that they would be set on keeping of course. 

9 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I do, rivalry games are not a dealbreaker anymore. We watched OU leave OK State, Oregon is trying to leave Oregon State, A&M bounced on Texas. People go where the money is and the SEC would provide that. Plus in basketball there's more opportunity for nonconference games and that's the big deal to both that they would be set on keeping of course. 

I’d see it too, but I’m not sure any of those games are as big as UNC/Duke is in basketball. But I think you are spot on with the basketball opportunity. And with as many OOC rivalry games as we have between the SEC/ACC, they can play every year in football too 

3 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I’d see it too, but I’m not sure any of those games are as big as UNC/Duke is in basketball. But I think you are spot on with the basketball opportunity. And with as many OOC rivalry games as we have between the SEC/ACC, they can play every year in football too 

Yep, it would fit right in. Theres no rule that teams are limited to playing once in basketball nonconference. You could still have a home and home if you really wanted.