For the Braves, starting pitching will always rule, and it’s open season for the Dodgers — Jayson Stark’s Weird and Wild

fuego

COBB COUNTY, Ga. — For the first time since Game 7 of the 2019 World Series, I was released from captivity to cover an actual postseason game in person Saturday. What a concept.

So I was there for Game 1 of Dodgers-Braves in Truist Park. And that’s why all the Weirdness and Wildness in this column will be confined to the National League side of this draw. I asked:

How the heck did the Braves win the way they won? And … how the heck did Corey Knebel make history? And … why the heck was this game even in Atlanta? And … what the heck were Albert Pujols, Julio Franco and Pete Rose doing in the same sentence? Not to mention … did something happen in this game we may never see again? I think so!

For the answers, here’s the Game 1 edition of NLCS Weirdness and Wildness.

1. The ghosts of Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz live!

In Atlanta, starting pitching will always rule. Don’t hold me to that “always” part if you want to talk, say, 2058. But for now, and for the foreseeable future — by which I mean at least the next three weeks — the Atlanta Braves will not be That Team that tries to reinvent how games are played and pitched, unless all else disintegrates.

“I’m a big believer in starting pitching,” their manager, Brian Snitker, philosophized Saturday night. “You know, all them (division-championship) flags are flying out there because we had really good starting pitching.”

Yep. You can look that up, kids. Just Google “1991-2005 Braves,” and that’ll explain everything. But for those of us who get the historical reference, we understand why this was an excellent night for Snitker to bow to the ghosts of the Greg Maddux/Tom Glavine/John Smoltz flag-bearers, if only because …

• His starting pitcher (Max Fried) actually went six innings. How ’bout that. So apparently, that’s still legal in at least one state.

• Then, after Fried worked his magic, the manager was able to roll out his three best late-inning bullpen weapons (Tyler Matzek, Luke Jackson and Will Smith) for an inning of zero-run work apiece, as opposed to holding one of those increasingly popular Meet Our Relievers — All of Them — Nights.

• And in the biggest news of the evening, the Braves did all this — went vintage old school on us here in the year 2021 — and it worked, to the tune of an old-fashioned 3-2 win over the mighty Dodgers in Game 1 of the NLCS.

So what was so different about that? This handy little chart ought to sum it up:

Pitchers used by the other three LCS teams so far — 34
Pitchers used by the Braves in the LCS — 4

OK then. Here’s to the Braves! But not just of last night. Over the last two seasons, the Braves now have played nine postseason games where their starter went at least six innings. That’s more than any team in the sport. Related development: They’re 7-2 in those games.

So even though you might look at them these days and think they’re the team trying to swim against the tide, Snitker looks at the legacy of his franchise and thinks:

This formula ain’t close to broke. Why would we fix it?

“I don’t know,” Snitker said Saturday night when I asked him about this. “It’s just kind of the way I was raised in the game. I mean, I came up with the Braves here, and we were all about starting pitching. I don’t know any better, quite honestly, I guess, if you want to get down to it.”

2. Don’t try this at home, or even the home of the Braves

Meanwhile, that Dodgers team the Braves were playing Saturday used eight pitchers to navigate this game. And I don’t want to sell them short. It worked, pretty much exactly the way Dave Roberts and his front-office dream-team scriptwriters could have drawn it up.

Those eight Dodgers relievers struck out 14, walked none and forced the Braves to use about as unlikely a formula to win this game as you’ll ever see in a postseason game in your lifetime. Here’s why I think I’m permitted to use that word “unlikely” to describe this thing.

WORTH THE RISP — The Braves got a runner (Eddie Rosario) into scoring position in the first inning. They got a runner (Ozzie Albies) into scoring position in the ninth inning, which led to Austin Riley’s walk-off single. But in between, they got zero runners into scoring position.

That’s kind of bizarre even in a normal game. What made it extra bizarre in this game was that they had to face seven different pitchers in between runners in scoring position — in a nine-inning game. And they won!

I ran this past my friends at STATS Perform, and they reported the Braves were only the second team in postseason history to win a game in which they faced at least seven pitchers in between runners in scoring position. The other was the Astros, against Tampa Bay, in Game 5 of the 2019 ALDS, because Rays.

Of course, these empty-the-bullpen October games are such a recent phenomenon, it would have been impossible to win (or even play) a game like this until very recently. Nevertheless, it was one strange way to win. But also …

THEY STRUCK OUT 14 TIMES! — Here’s another thing nobody would advise if you’re trying to win a pivotal postseason game: Striking out 14 times — no matter how many pitchers you face along the way — is a really, really ill-advised idea. And you can quote me.

The Braves were 3-9 the other 12 times they whiffed at least 14 times in a nine-inning game this year (regular season and postseason) before Saturday. But here’s the real headline: The last time they won a nine-inning game in which they punched out that many times while walking no times was more than three decades ago: July 14, 1989, when Sid Fernandez fanned 16 that night for the Mets — but then served up a walk-off homer to Lonnie Smith.

THEY WON DESPITE A FREDDIE FREEMAN SOMBRERO! — Freddie Freeman’s last swing of the Division Series was a game-winning home run off Josh Hader. He followed that act Saturday by (whaaaat???) striking out four times in four at-bats — against four different Dodgers relievers.

This is Freeman’s 12th season in the big leagues. You won’t be shocked to learn that the Braves have won a grand total of one other game (regular season or postseason) in those 12 seasons when Freeman even whiffed three times (or more) while his team was striking out 14 times (or more). That game was also against the Mets — earlier this year, on July 1. Guess who rescued the evening with a walk-off single that night? Yep. Freddie Freeman.

Baseball!

3. Open season for Corey Knebel

The Dodgers want to play at least eight more games in this postseason. Shouldn’t they just go ahead and start Corey Knebel in all of them?

That would be a record, you know. But before anyone in the Knebel family starts getting all saddened that he won’t be allowed to break that record, they should know he has already made postseason history. So he’s all set.

On Thursday, Knebel started the Dodgers’ Game 5 Division Series clincher against the Giants. On Saturday, a mere two days later, he started Game 1 of the NLCS.

“We told him, ‘Just send your glove and spikes to Cooperstown right now,’” quipped one of his Dodgers cohorts, “because I guarantee nobody has ever done that.”

That guarantee, in theory, actually could have saved us a lot of research if we’d just gone with it. But that’s not how this works here at Weird and Wild World HQ. So we put our friends at STATS on the case because that is how this works. Here’s what we learned:

Started clincher of one series and Game 1 of next — On one hand, if you keep the bar low enough, there were five other pitchers who sort of did what Knebel did: They started a clincher and a Game 1 in back-to-back series. Here are those five. But be sure to check out how many days they had between starts.

SEASON PLAYER TEAM DAYS FIRST SERIES NEXT SERIES
Clayton Kershaw
Los Angeles Dodgers
NLCS
World Series
James Shields
Kansas City Royals
ALDS
ALCS
Madison Bumgarner
San Francisco Giants
NLCS
World Series
Orlando Hernández
New York Yankees
ALCS
World Series
Jim Palmer
Baltimore Orioles
ALCS
World Series

(Source: STATS Perform)

So on the other hand …

Started clincher of one series and Game 1 of next series two days apart — Of course nobody has done that, because that was a thing that wasn’t even possible before openers invaded October. So that’s the history Knebel has already made. And we congratulate him heartily. Then again, this was almost a night of history that was literally …

TO THE MAX — Ah, but suppose Max Scherzer had started Game 1 — two days after saving the clincher of the NLDS? Now that would have been some historic stuff.

I could only find four starting pitchers before Scherzer in the division-play era who saved a winner-take-all game in any round, period: Lance McCullers Jr. (2017 ALCS), Clayton Kershaw (2016 NLDS), Derek Lowe (2003 ALDS) and Vida Blue (1972 ALCS). So that’s a prestigious club Mad Max joined, right? But here was the question: Did any of them come back and start a game two days later to kick off the next round? Not a chance.

Kershaw and Lowe both started Game 2, as Scherzer will, three days later. And Blue, who had already lost his spot in Oakland’s regular rotation in 1972, came back to save Game 1 two days later. So that was pretty amazing. But had Mad Max been able to summon the strength, now that would have been a feat for the ages.

Instead, Scherzer spent his day in the interview room, reflecting on the meaning of The Opener in modern baseball for people like me. And at least he’s cool and honest enough to admit he’s highly conflicted, because …

1. A) “As players, all we want to do is win,” he said. “So if you tell us this is going to help us win, yeah, we’re all on board. Let’s go for it.” But …

1. B) “From a fan’s perspective and baseball as a whole,” he admitted, “if you … say, ‘Is this something that, do we want the game to go into, do we want to see this in the regular season?’ my answer is no. No, you don’t. You want to see starting pitchers. You want to see starting pitchers pitch deep. I think that’s best for the fans, best for the players, everybody involved. I think that’s how we all envisioned the games.”

Sorting that part out, he said, is an issue for the labor negotiating all-stars, possibly as soon as this winter. But you should know Scherzer also told me later he’s a big fan of my Double Hook idea. So if that ever happens, we’ll find out just how much clout he has in the game — because I can testify from personal experience that I have none!

4. You can go home again

The Dodgers won 106 games this season. The Braves won 88. So the Dodgers earned home-field advantage, right? Uh, not so fast. Game 1 was in Atlanta, so apparently not.

If it eases the Dodgers’ pain at all, they’re not the first team in postseason history that outwon its opponent by that many games during the season and still got jobbed out of home-field advantage. Here are the other two:

1995 ALCS — Mariners (79 wins) had home field over Indians (100 wins)
1984 ALCS — Royals (84 wins) had home field over Tigers (104 wins)

If you think the reasoning behind the Dodgers not getting home field (to penalize them for being a wild card) is shaky, at least that makes more sense than the reasoning behind what befell those Indians and Tigers (alternating home-field advantage by division, not record). But if somebody had the sense to correct that misguided system back in the 1980s and ’90s, maybe there’s a chance that could happen again. So once again, I asked Max Scherzer to weigh in.

“It is what it is,” he said. “I don’t know. The system works. I’m not here to cry about baseball or cry about this. … We were the wild-card team. Yeah, (the Giants) won the division. We didn’t. So even though we won 106 ball games, we can say all this and that, but we didn’t win our division. If you keep the emphasis on winning your division, I think that’s a good thing, for all the teams, everybody involved.”

So friends, there will be no whining in baseball if Max Scherzer is in charge!

5. Party of Three

Wait. Don’t go yet. Just a few more things and you can go set your fantasy football lineup or something.

THE (RE)MATCH GAME — The Braves and Dodgers played in the NLCS last year. The Braves and Dodgers are back in the NLCS this year. It’s the 12th time we’ve had a League Championship Series rematch. So that’s not so rare. Here’s what is:

When the team that lost the series the year before turned the tables and won the next year. That’s happened only three times:

2016-17 CUBS/DODGERS  Cubs won in 2016. (You know how that turned out.) Dodgers won in 2017.

2003-04 YANKEES/RED SOX — Do you even need these details? 2003 — Pedro Martinez/Grady Little/Aaron Bleeping Boone/Yankees win. 2004 — Dave Roberts/Big Papi David Ortiz/Revenge of the Idiots/Red Sox win. (You know how that turned out.)

2004-05 CARDINALS/ASTROS — Cardinals won in 2004, setting them up to get swept by the Red Sox. Astros won in 2005, setting themselves up to get swept by the White Sox. So beware of Sox!

SIR ALBERT IN THE NLCS! — With a left-hander (Fried) pitching Saturday for the Braves, Albert Pujols started for the Dodgers at first base. Did you know that only two other men have started an LCS game at first base at Pujols’ age (41) or older? They’re tremendous names.

Julio Franco, 2001 Mets
Pete Rose, 1983 Phillies

LAST HIT BY A RELIEF PITCHER ALERT! — Finally, since this could be the last week in history in which pitchers are allowed to bat, you need somebody to keep track of this stuff. You’re welcome.

Tony Gonsolin got an infield single for the Dodgers on Saturday. That was cool for many reasons. But here’s the coolest reason of all: It might have been the last hit by a relief pitcher in history!

So to commemorate this mammoth achievement, here are the only active pitchers to get a postseason hit as a reliever, because of course you need to know!

PLAYER TEAM GAME HIT
Tony Gonsolin
Dodgers
Game 1, 2021 NLCS
single
Brandon Woodruff
Brewers
Game 1, 2018 NLCS
HR*
Archie Bradley
Diamondbacks
2017 NL wild card
triple!

(*HR off Clayton Kershaw!)

I don’t want this to be the end of this pitcher-hitting era. But have I mentioned I have zero power over anything? So you may not have realized it, but Tony Gonsolin just gave us one last great moment in …

Baseball!

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

COBB COUNTY, Ga. — For the first time since Game 7 of the 2019 World Series, I was released from captivity to cover an actual postseason game in person Saturday. What a concept.

So I was there for Game 1 of Dodgers-Braves in Truist Park. And that’s why all the Weirdness and Wildness in this column will be confined to the National League side of this draw. I asked:

How the heck did the Braves win the way they won? And … how the heck did Corey Knebel make history? And … why the heck was this game even in Atlanta? And … what the heck were Albert Pujols, Julio Franco and Pete Rose doing in the same sentence? Not to mention … did something happen in this game we may never see again? I think so!

For the answers, here’s the Game 1 edition of NLCS Weirdness and Wildness.

1. The ghosts of Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz live!

In Atlanta, starting pitching will always rule. Don’t hold me to that “always” part if you want to talk, say, 2058. But for now, and for the foreseeable future — by which I mean at least the next three weeks — the Atlanta Braves will not be That Team that tries to reinvent how games are played and pitched, unless all else disintegrates.

“I’m a big believer in starting pitching,” their manager, Brian Snitker, philosophized Saturday night. “You know, all them (division-championship) flags are flying out there because we had really good starting pitching.”

Yep. You can look that up, kids. Just Google “1991-2005 Braves,” and that’ll explain everything. But for those of us who get the historical reference, we understand why this was an excellent night for Snitker to bow to the ghosts of the Greg Maddux/Tom Glavine/John Smoltz flag-bearers, if only because …

• His starting pitcher (Max Fried) actually went six innings. How ’bout that. So apparently, that’s still legal in at least one state.

• Then, after Fried worked his magic, the manager was able to roll out his three best late-inning bullpen weapons (Tyler Matzek, Luke Jackson and Will Smith) for an inning of zero-run work apiece, as opposed to holding one of those increasingly popular Meet Our Relievers — All of Them — Nights.

• And in the biggest news of the evening, the Braves did all this — went vintage old school on us here in the year 2021 — and it worked, to the tune of an old-fashioned 3-2 win over the mighty Dodgers in Game 1 of the NLCS.

So what was so different about that? This handy little chart ought to sum it up:

Pitchers used by the other three LCS teams so far — 34
Pitchers used by the Braves in the LCS — 4

OK then. Here’s to the Braves! But not just of last night. Over the last two seasons, the Braves now have played nine postseason games where their starter went at least six innings. That’s more than any team in the sport. Related development: They’re 7-2 in those games.

So even though you might look at them these days and think they’re the team trying to swim against the tide, Snitker looks at the legacy of his franchise and thinks:

This formula ain’t close to broke. Why would we fix it?

“I don’t know,” Snitker said Saturday night when I asked him about this. “It’s just kind of the way I was raised in the game. I mean, I came up with the Braves here, and we were all about starting pitching. I don’t know any better, quite honestly, I guess, if you want to get down to it.”

2. Don’t try this at home, or even the home of the Braves

Meanwhile, that Dodgers team the Braves were playing Saturday used eight pitchers to navigate this game. And I don’t want to sell them short. It worked, pretty much exactly the way Dave Roberts and his front-office dream-team scriptwriters could have drawn it up.

Those eight Dodgers relievers struck out 14, walked none and forced the Braves to use about as unlikely a formula to win this game as you’ll ever see in a postseason game in your lifetime. Here’s why I think I’m permitted to use that word “unlikely” to describe this thing.

WORTH THE RISP — The Braves got a runner (Eddie Rosario) into scoring position in the first inning. They got a runner (Ozzie Albies) into scoring position in the ninth inning, which led to Austin Riley’s walk-off single. But in between, they got zero runners into scoring position.

That’s kind of bizarre even in a normal game. What made it extra bizarre in this game was that they had to face seven different pitchers in between runners in scoring position — in a nine-inning game. And they won!

I ran this past my friends at STATS Perform, and they reported the Braves were only the second team in postseason history to win a game in which they faced at least seven pitchers in between runners in scoring position. The other was the Astros, against Tampa Bay, in Game 5 of the 2019 ALDS, because Rays.

Of course, these empty-the-bullpen October games are such a recent phenomenon, it would have been impossible to win (or even play) a game like this until very recently. Nevertheless, it was one strange way to win. But also …

THEY STRUCK OUT 14 TIMES! — Here’s another thing nobody would advise if you’re trying to win a pivotal postseason game: Striking out 14 times — no matter how many pitchers you face along the way — is a really, really ill-advised idea. And you can quote me.

The Braves were 3-9 the other 12 times they whiffed at least 14 times in a nine-inning game this year (regular season and postseason) before Saturday. But here’s the real headline: The last time they won a nine-inning game in which they punched out that many times while walking no times was more than three decades ago: July 14, 1989, when Sid Fernandez fanned 16 that night for the Mets — but then served up a walk-off homer to Lonnie Smith.

THEY WON DESPITE A FREDDIE FREEMAN SOMBRERO! — Freddie Freeman’s last swing of the Division Series was a game-winning home run off Josh Hader. He followed that act Saturday by (whaaaat???) striking out four times in four at-bats — against four different Dodgers relievers.

This is Freeman’s 12th season in the big leagues. You won’t be shocked to learn that the Braves have won a grand total of one other game (regular season or postseason) in those 12 seasons when Freeman even whiffed three times (or more) while his team was striking out 14 times (or more). That game was also against the Mets — earlier this year, on July 1. Guess who rescued the evening with a walk-off single that night? Yep. Freddie Freeman.

Baseball!

3. Open season for Corey Knebel

The Dodgers want to play at least eight more games in this postseason. Shouldn’t they just go ahead and start Corey Knebel in all of them?

That would be a record, you know. But before anyone in the Knebel family starts getting all saddened that he won’t be allowed to break that record, they should know he has already made postseason history. So he’s all set.

On Thursday, Knebel started the Dodgers’ Game 5 Division Series clincher against the Giants. On Saturday, a mere two days later, he started Game 1 of the NLCS.

“We told him, ‘Just send your glove and spikes to Cooperstown right now,’” quipped one of his Dodgers cohorts, “because I guarantee nobody has ever done that.”

That guarantee, in theory, actually could have saved us a lot of research if we’d just gone with it. But that’s not how this works here at Weird and Wild World HQ. So we put our friends at STATS on the case because that is how this works. Here’s what we learned:

Started clincher of one series and Game 1 of next — On one hand, if you keep the bar low enough, there were five other pitchers who sort of did what Knebel did: They started a clincher and a Game 1 in back-to-back series. Here are those five. But be sure to check out how many days they had between starts.

SEASON PLAYER TEAM DAYS FIRST SERIES NEXT SERIES
Clayton Kershaw
Los Angeles Dodgers
NLCS
World Series
James Shields
Kansas City Royals
ALDS
ALCS
Madison Bumgarner
San Francisco Giants
NLCS
World Series
Orlando Hernández
New York Yankees
ALCS
World Series
Jim Palmer
Baltimore Orioles
ALCS
World Series

(Source: STATS Perform)

So on the other hand …

Started clincher of one series and Game 1 of next series two days apart — Of course nobody has done that, because that was a thing that wasn’t even possible before openers invaded October. So that’s the history Knebel has already made. And we congratulate him heartily. Then again, this was almost a night of history that was literally …

TO THE MAX — Ah, but suppose Max Scherzer had started Game 1 — two days after saving the clincher of the NLDS? Now that would have been some historic stuff.

I could only find four starting pitchers before Scherzer in the division-play era who saved a winner-take-all game in any round, period: Lance McCullers Jr. (2017 ALCS), Clayton Kershaw (2016 NLDS), Derek Lowe (2003 ALDS) and Vida Blue (1972 ALCS). So that’s a prestigious club Mad Max joined, right? But here was the question: Did any of them come back and start a game two days later to kick off the next round? Not a chance.

Kershaw and Lowe both started Game 2, as Scherzer will, three days later. And Blue, who had already lost his spot in Oakland’s regular rotation in 1972, came back to save Game 1 two days later. So that was pretty amazing. But had Mad Max been able to summon the strength, now that would have been a feat for the ages.

Instead, Scherzer spent his day in the interview room, reflecting on the meaning of The Opener in modern baseball for people like me. And at least he’s cool and honest enough to admit he’s highly conflicted, because …

1. A) “As players, all we want to do is win,” he said. “So if you tell us this is going to help us win, yeah, we’re all on board. Let’s go for it.” But …

1. B) “From a fan’s perspective and baseball as a whole,” he admitted, “if you … say, ‘Is this something that, do we want the game to go into, do we want to see this in the regular season?’ my answer is no. No, you don’t. You want to see starting pitchers. You want to see starting pitchers pitch deep. I think that’s best for the fans, best for the players, everybody involved. I think that’s how we all envisioned the games.”

Sorting that part out, he said, is an issue for the labor negotiating all-stars, possibly as soon as this winter. But you should know Scherzer also told me later he’s a big fan of my Double Hook idea. So if that ever happens, we’ll find out just how much clout he has in the game — because I can testify from personal experience that I have none!

4. You can go home again

The Dodgers won 106 games this season. The Braves won 88. So the Dodgers earned home-field advantage, right? Uh, not so fast. Game 1 was in Atlanta, so apparently not.

If it eases the Dodgers’ pain at all, they’re not the first team in postseason history that outwon its opponent by that many games during the season and still got jobbed out of home-field advantage. Here are the other two:

1995 ALCS — Mariners (79 wins) had home field over Indians (100 wins)
1984 ALCS — Royals (84 wins) had home field over Tigers (104 wins)

If you think the reasoning behind the Dodgers not getting home field (to penalize them for being a wild card) is shaky, at least that makes more sense than the reasoning behind what befell those Indians and Tigers (alternating home-field advantage by division, not record). But if somebody had the sense to correct that misguided system back in the 1980s and ’90s, maybe there’s a chance that could happen again. So once again, I asked Max Scherzer to weigh in.

“It is what it is,” he said. “I don’t know. The system works. I’m not here to cry about baseball or cry about this. … We were the wild-card team. Yeah, (the Giants) won the division. We didn’t. So even though we won 106 ball games, we can say all this and that, but we didn’t win our division. If you keep the emphasis on winning your division, I think that’s a good thing, for all the teams, everybody involved.”

So friends, there will be no whining in baseball if Max Scherzer is in charge!

5. Party of Three

Wait. Don’t go yet. Just a few more things and you can go set your fantasy football lineup or something.

THE (RE)MATCH GAME — The Braves and Dodgers played in the NLCS last year. The Braves and Dodgers are back in the NLCS this year. It’s the 12th time we’ve had a League Championship Series rematch. So that’s not so rare. Here’s what is:

When the team that lost the series the year before turned the tables and won the next year. That’s happened only three times:

2016-17 CUBS/DODGERS  Cubs won in 2016. (You know how that turned out.) Dodgers won in 2017.

2003-04 YANKEES/RED SOX — Do you even need these details? 2003 — Pedro Martinez/Grady Little/Aaron Bleeping Boone/Yankees win. 2004 — Dave Roberts/Big Papi David Ortiz/Revenge of the Idiots/Red Sox win. (You know how that turned out.)

2004-05 CARDINALS/ASTROS — Cardinals won in 2004, setting them up to get swept by the Red Sox. Astros won in 2005, setting themselves up to get swept by the White Sox. So beware of Sox!

SIR ALBERT IN THE NLCS! — With a left-hander (Fried) pitching Saturday for the Braves, Albert Pujols started for the Dodgers at first base. Did you know that only two other men have started an LCS game at first base at Pujols’ age (41) or older? They’re tremendous names.

Julio Franco, 2001 Mets
Pete Rose, 1983 Phillies

LAST HIT BY A RELIEF PITCHER ALERT! — Finally, since this could be the last week in history in which pitchers are allowed to bat, you need somebody to keep track of this stuff. You’re welcome.

Tony Gonsolin got an infield single for the Dodgers on Saturday. That was cool for many reasons. But here’s the coolest reason of all: It might have been the last hit by a relief pitcher in history!

So to commemorate this mammoth achievement, here are the only active pitchers to get a postseason hit as a reliever, because of course you need to know!

PLAYER TEAM GAME HIT
Tony Gonsolin
Dodgers
Game 1, 2021 NLCS
single
Brandon Woodruff
Brewers
Game 1, 2018 NLCS
HR*
Archie Bradley
Diamondbacks
2017 NL wild card
triple!

(*HR off Clayton Kershaw!)

I don’t want this to be the end of this pitcher-hitting era. But have I mentioned I have zero power over anything? So you may not have realized it, but Tony Gonsolin just gave us one last great moment in …

Baseball!

:tiphat: