Bye Week Rooting Interests

dirtybirds233

It's a little early for true rooting interests, especially with so many 3-2 and 2-3 teams, but I'll take a shot. Also not including AFC vs AFC matchups except the Dolphins and Jags. 

*These are games that would directly affect the Falcons standings in Week 6. 

*Bucs @ Eagles: Bucs. We have a much better chance at a wild card than the division and the Eagles hold a tie-breaker over us. A loss for them here drops them to 2-4. 

Dolphins @ Jags: Jags. Word on the street is that Flores is losing the locker room. Taking on a demoralized 1-5 Dolphins team would be ideal. 

*Chiefs @ WFT: Chiefs. 

*Vikings @ Panthers: Panthers. I can argue either way here, but a Vikings win puts us in 11th, and Panthers win puts us at 10th. 

Rams @ Giants: Giants. As it stands now, the 4-1 Rams are a wild card team. If the Giants can hand them another loss, it only helps the Falcons. Especially considering we have a tie-breaker over NY. 

Bengals @ Lions: Bengals. 

Packers @ Bears: Packers. Would pretty much cement the Packers as 'running away' with the North and knock another potential wild card team to 3-3. 

Cardinals @ Browns: Browns. But I understand an argument for wanting the Cardinals to win. If they lose, they could potentially become another wild card team to compete with. 

Cowboys @ Patriots: Patriots. No one else in the East is going to challenge the Cowboys for the division, so the same argument for the Cardinals doesn't apply here. 

Seahawks at Steelers: Steelers. Another 2-3 team in the Seahawks that will be competing for a wild card spot. 

10 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Growing up, my second team was always the Oilers.  I used to pull for them.  Then, I liked Boomer Esiason, so it was the Bengals for a while.  Now, they can all suck eggs.  

Man, I was the same. Loved Warren Moon and the Boomer era Bengals. My primary 'other' team was Buffalo, though. I still watch them when I can with JA on board, but I was a huge Jim Kelly fan back then. 

30 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I'm rooting for Kentucky :ninja:

I didn't grow up a UGA fan nor did I go there. I never had a problem with them though until high school and college. All of the people I knew that went there suddenly started acting like they were heading off to Harvard. Once in college, there were lots of snide comment like 'have fun working for us one day', 'you should've saved your money and gone to community college instead of Southern', 'do they charge for the coloring books there?' etc. Then at our game in 2015 when we took them to OT, we got drinks and food thrown at us at the games end, people coming up and shoving us, etc. Even my wife who's only lived in Georgia for 4 years, and swore up and down Ole Miss fans were the worst in the SEC, has conceded that UGA fans are significantly worse. 

Moral of the story, I have two favorite teams: Georgia Southern and whoever is playing UGA. 

Edited by dirtybirds233

16 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Ummm at 2 wins, yes. Yes we are. But I'm rooting for the Lions. It's all about draft positioning when the records are close. And it's not like the Lions will be in the running for a wild card.

If they're not in the running for a wildcard there's no reason to worry about them winning this week. Our record is irrelevant. 

Nice post. That said, my personal lean is just to enjoy football without any stress for a weekend! I loved Sunday because we posted our W then I just got to enjoy football for the rest of the day. It will be more of the same this week. I get so emotionally invested in the Falcons that their outcomes impact my enjoyment of the rest of the action. 

It is FAR too early in the season for me to start sweating wins and losses by other teams a game either side of .500. If the Falcons win against the teams they face that are in their division or on the bubble, they will be in the playoffs. If they don't get in by winning those games (if they rely on others to knock other "also rans" off), its unlikely they would be more than a placeholder filling a bracket anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

If they're not in the running for a wildcard there's no reason to worry about them winning this week. Our record is irrelevant. 

It's more important at year's end. That game is entirely irrelevant in any case unless they can win enough to catch us, which is highly unlikely. So a loss from them is good too as it lowers our SOS.

26 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

It's more important at year's end. That game is entirely irrelevant in any case unless they can win enough to catch us, which is highly unlikely. So a loss from them is good too as it lowers our SOS.

You want a high SoS if you're looking at postseason, and if you want to tank you'd want the Lions to win to catch us. If you think that's impossible maybe you shouldn't be hoping for losses yet. Either way you don't want the Lions to lose here.

37 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

You want a high SoS if you're looking at postseason, and if you want to tank you'd want the Lions to win to catch us. If you think that's impossible maybe you shouldn't be hoping for losses yet. Either way you don't want the Lions to lose here.

Exactly. We play the Lions later, so it helps us if they win because our SOS increases and gives us a better chance of picking ahead of whomever we tie with recordwise when we're 8-9 or 9-8. And I'm not hoping for Falcons losses. I'm thinking from the stand point of driving our SOS higher just in case we have a tied record with someone else. 

And if we make a WC it's irrelevant anyway.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

So a loss from them is good too as it lowers our SOS.

2 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

so it helps us if they win because our SOS increases and gives us a better chance of picking ahead of whomever we tie with

What are you arguing exactly?

Also, if our SoS increases we lose the tie breakers in the draft.