Scott Bair examine national and local perceptions on Matt Ryan

Good article, but Bair is wasting his time trying to change the mind of the same locals he calls out in this article. All of the  supporting stats have already been spoken about, and they aren’t going to change these folks minds. That said, I give Bair credit For being willing to put his neck out on the line make such a bold statement.

I can tell you be up in PA, there are fans on both PA teams that would take this guy in a heartbeat.

20 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And, don't hold your response until he makes a mistake or has a subpar game to volley a, "See? I told you so." That's no way to live.

This is the best line in the whole article. You hear that, haters? Cherry picking bad games isn't just dumb logic, it's literally bad moral philosophy. Ancient sages and wise noble masters who've come before since time immemorial frown upon such conduct. Think about that next time you hate.

Edited by likeriver

31 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Good article, but Bair is wasting his time trying to change the mind of the same locals he calls out in this article. All of the  supporting stats have already been spoken about, and they aren’t going to change these folks minds. That said, I give Bair credit For being willing to put his neck out on the line make such a bold statement.

I can tell you be up in PA, there are fans on both PA teams that would take this guy in a heartbeat.

Yeah, there’s this Steelers fan that dedicated an entire video to support Ryan’s Hall of Fame case and it was better than I realized.

The thing is people have gripes over not winning the Super Bowl and wanting something new. That’s understandable because the DQ era went downhill fast as soon as 28-3.

Can’t the change people want (winning right?) be by means of a new coaching regime and improved team building? If Ryan keeps the trend going and settles into this offense, why not build around him while developing a replacement in a couple years? That’s the whole point. You need a team to win. The QB won’t matter if you don’t build well. Having the ability to get high end production still out of Ryan can be part of returning to winning.

I agree though…it’s wasted energy. That’s why I just laugh at folks and move on or call them out for fun and carry on. At least it’s good humor. Maybe they’ll build something under Arthur Smith. Hopefully Pees will set a new standard on defense before retiring again.

Living in Texas between 2 other teams  which occupy the local media I don’t hear much either way. I think the Falcons are underreported in general. Not negative or positive for Ryan, just not really mentioned.  It’s fair to say he is overlooked and the team is overlooked outside GA. 
That’s OK, we’ll write our own story. 

56 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Some of them wanted to trade for Romo mid 2016 after Dakk examined the starter. Every years it’s been new flavor for the crowd.

53 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yeah, there’s this Steelers fan that dedicated an entire video to support Ryan’s Hall of Fame case and it was better than I realized.

The thing is people have gripes over not winning the Super Bowl and wanting something new. That’s understandable because the DQ era went downhill fast as soon as 28-3.

Can’t the change people want (winning right?) be by means of a new coaching regime and improved team building? If Ryan keeps the trend going and settles into this offense, why not build around him while developing a replacement in a couple years? That’s the whole point. You need a team to win. The QB won’t matter if you don’t build well. Having the ability to get high end production still out of Ryan can be part of returning to winning.

I agree though…it’s wasted energy. That’s why I just laugh at folks and move on or call them out for fun and carry on. At least it’s good humor. Maybe they’ll build something under Arthur Smith. Hopefully Pees will set a new standard on defense before retiring again.

Heres my argument against the “build around Matt Ryan” approach.

We’ve seen Matt Ryan at his absolute best. Surrounded by HOF talent… Having the best offense in franchise history and setting records.

And we’ve seen in two separate instances it wasn’t good enough. The team could not hold on to leads.

Im no not saying Ryan’s done or that he’s not going to be useful.

Im saying if this team cannot rush the passer then it will not matter. Instead of worrying about pass catchers the team should focus on pass rushers.

Every team has a group of fans that hate the quarterback.  They’d rather see the team lose with their preferred style or players than win without.  I remember reading about Giants fans calling Eli a bum after his second SB.  

Even if Ryan held every all time record they would trash him by saying QB x would have been better had he just stayed healthy. 

Edited by Ghosts of Glanville

15 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

We’ve seen Matt Ryan at his absolute best. Surrounded by HOF talent… Having the best offense in franchise history and setting records.

And we’ve seen in two separate instances it wasn’t good enough. The team could not hold on to leads.

Im no not saying Ryan’s done or that he’s not going to be useful.

Im saying if this team cannot rush the passer then it will not matter. Instead of worrying about pass catchers the team should focus on pass rushers.

You can either build the lines, defense and run game with a known entity in Matt (like the Saints did with Drew) or you build them with an unknown.

Either way they need to be built.  Why create a need when you don't have to?  There's enough moving parts to upgrade without adding the most important position to the list.

15 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Didn't you answer your own conundrum?

12 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Agree 100%. If Matt Ryan is as good as people claim (myself included) then we don't need the best WR, the best RB, and the best TE. Ryan made Harry freaking Douglas a 1000 yard receiver. He's giving Lee Smith, who was considering retirement, the best year of his career. He has turned Cordarrelle Patterson into one of the most dangerous threats in the NFL. Ryan makes the players around him better, PERIOD. That's why you pay him the big bucks.

What Ryan cannot do is make the defense better, and he can't make the OL better. If you're going to spend money on building a team around Matt Ryan, then that money is best spent on protecting leads, and protecting Ryan.

22 minutes ago, robertap said:

Agree 100%. If Matt Ryan is as good as people claim (myself included) then we don't need the best WR, the best RB, and the best TE. Ryan made Harry freaking Douglas a 1000 yard receiver. He's giving Lee Smith, who was considering retirement, the best year of his career. He has turned Cordarrelle Patterson into one of the most dangerous threats in the NFL. Ryan makes the players around him better, PERIOD. That's why you pay him the big bucks.

What Ryan cannot do is make the defense better, and he can't make the OL better. If you're going to spend money on building a team around Matt Ryan, then that money is best spent on protecting leads, and protecting Ryan.

I've felt this way for a long time. I'd rather field a team of serviceable receivers and a good OL, than a serviceable OL and good receivers. Receivers will eventually get open if OL holds up. But if the OL folds, there's little good receivers can do, except occasionally make acrobatic catches in tight coverage, but that's playing a dangerous game.