*****Official Washington Vs Falcons In-Game Thread*****

Realsurfin

2 hours ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

I agree that we have some true clowns down here as far as “get there when u can and spend game checking your cell etc”…..I embrace that and it was ridiculous but, and I may be reaching, I blame that a ton on our corporatized seating arrangements.  The common folk can no longer afford to just own seats.  Everyone I know has to either get tix from a Corp owner or “know someone wha can get rid from a Corp owner”.   Eg. I got tix to braves game this weekend for 2 for $88 and had excellent 3rd level seats.   A nosebleed at falcons game would’ve been over $200.  Big difference in cost vs current and historical caliber of product.  Sad really!!  AB will someday likely have to rethink that otherwise it’s a sterile Corp environment made of folks who “got tix” or go to game to “be seen” but likely as not….could care less…

Lots of transplants here from all around the country, and their loyalties usually belong to the team in their part of the country. That's unlike smaller  areas like Cleveland or GB where loyalties run in families for generations.

33 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I’m telling you, buy it or not, church is a big thing in the south, as is Sunday dinner. And most of the paying public lives out here in the burbs, a good 30 miles from MBS. Many people won’t go through the trouble of rushing home, changing, and driving all the way to Atlanta, fighting traffic, just to arrive in the second quarter, and look forward to fighting it again in a couple hours. Especially not to see losing football. 

My weather  argument is that the weather here is so good most of the year, that if you aren’t a reasonable guarantee to win most weekends, most folks would rather be out enjoying their families doing something besides watch guys throw a ball around for millions of dollars. 

The liquor thing is way overrated, IMO. It’s more of rabid all day party fan thing, and it’s a college thing more here, too. Heck, I have two beers sitting my fridge that have been there since last season, lol. That’s how little I drink post 50.

And that’s probably most people, honestly. You can’t go get loaded and drive home like 25 years ago. The legal limits are almost nonexistent now. So, rather than risk that, wise people drink on their couch if they need it. 

Which is another point. I can go deal with all the stadium related stuff, try to see things from a distance, or I can watch my 70” 4K and eat great food that I made myself much cheaper and that’s much better quality. It’s really just a tiny part of the population that thinks being at a game in person is very important. 

The transient population thing is real, unfortunately, but it’s been real since the late 80s, early 90s. By now, a team with a track record of winning would’ve won over a whole generation, but they didn’t win. And 51 ensured it likely won’t change for another generation.

I can’t blame fans at all for finding other things to do. 

The simple fact that, yes, the locals have many more entertainment options competing for their time/$ due to climate as well as just better weather to get outside makes it that much more of a necessity to deliver a competitive product year after year.  Cpl years of losing and everyone moves on w their hard earned $’s.  We live in a world of instant gratification and if the (20-50) crowd can’t get it at MBS…….they’ll invest their emotions, time and $$ in what they perceive to be a better value, better (or at least more certain ROI). I also think you have to look at how many of locals spend their football capital on a college team.   That in general provides a better (more consistently successful) experience on avg bc the falcons have been such a consistently pathetic product.  The perennial rebuild gets old quickly when the majority of time uga is at least winning more than losing, Alabama, auburn, fla etc……even when these teams aren’t great they’re typically competitive whereas the falcons may go bend over for their opponent at a SB once per decade w some up/down and mostly just plain being a joke in between.   If the falcons were a service industry they’d have been out of business 40 years ago prbly……..I swear they only exist to provide a door mat for the more favored (upper crust) of nfl franchises.  Sad…

14 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

The simple fact that, yes, the locals have many more entertainment options competing for their time/$ due to climate as well as just better weather to get outside makes it that much more of a necessity to deliver a competitive product year after year.  Cpl years of losing and everyone moves on w their hard earned $’s.  We live in a world of instant gratification and if the (20-50) crowd can’t get it at MBS…….they’ll invest their emotions, time and $$ in what they perceive to be a better value, better (or at least more certain ROI). I also think you have to look at how many of locals spend their football capital on a college team.   That in general provides a better (more consistently successful) experience on avg bc the falcons have been such a consistently pathetic product.  The perennial rebuild gets old quickly when the majority of time uga is at least winning more than losing, Alabama, auburn, fla etc……even when these teams aren’t great they’re typically competitive whereas the falcons may go bend over for their opponent at a SB once per decade w some up/down and mostly just plain being a joke in between.   If the falcons were a service industry they’d have been out of business 40 years ago prbly……..I swear they only exist to provide a door mat for the more favored (upper crust) of nfl franchises.  Sad…

Very well put.

2 hours ago, Rings said:

I understand some of that, I don’t by the church one as that is a thing in every city.  The one I don’t understand is with my comparison being Cleveland, the weather argument doesn’t make sense.  Casual fans in Cleveland show up to get snow and sleet in their face for an 0-31-1 team in freezing weather, but casual fans in ATL cant go to the dome?  I don’t get that point.

I think another is a lot of people who live in ATL aren’t front there as they are a hub for so many businesses.  I also think the fact they don’t allow sales of alcohol until 12:30 or whatever it is kills bars around the stadium…especially now that Taco Mac is gone.

I’m a church goer, and most church people I know either go to the early worship service (8:30ish) or dont go at all on a game day 1:00 start. So not at good excuse

31 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

I also feel that if home games during good weather seasons were played in a full open air stadium there would be more interest and better game atmosphere. No one wants to leave a beautiful weather day and walk inside to an enclosed building. And even with the roof open it still doesn’t feel like you are outside.

I remember the old Fulton County Stadium in the rare times we had good teams there, it was an electric atmosphere even though the stadium was a horrible venue for football. The smell of open air and a grass field is like the football version of field of dreams 

1 hour ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

Prbly so and prbly same re penalties but this franchise has to be at the bottom of the heap in nfl hierarchy (of course I’m saying this to someone from Cleveland).  They’ve suffered profusely for eons as well.   My real prblm is patience w this team ran out somewhere in the ‘80s.  Fact is I just like nfl football and falcons unfort happen to be my local team….it’s a tough road to ride season after season……

I think it’s easier for me to put it in perspective because when you try to complain about blowing a lead in the playoffs to a fan who responds with “what’s the playoffs”, because until last year their team hadn’t been their in the last 20 years.  Not to mention they lost their team to Baltimore so they are thankful for even having a team.  Puts things in perspective a bit.

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

I’m telling you, buy it or not, church is a big thing in the south, as is Sunday dinner. And most of the paying public lives out here in the burbs, a good 30 miles from MBS. Many people won’t go through the trouble of rushing home, changing, and driving all the way to Atlanta, fighting traffic, just to arrive in the second quarter, and look forward to fighting it again in a couple hours. Especially not to see losing football. 

My weather  argument is that the weather here is so good most of the year, that if you aren’t a reasonable guarantee to win most weekends, most folks would rather be out enjoying their families doing something besides watch guys throw a ball around for millions of dollars. 

The liquor thing is way overrated, IMO. It’s more of rabid all day party fan thing, and it’s a college thing more here, too. Heck, I have two beers sitting my fridge that have been there since last season, lol. That’s how little I drink post 50.

And that’s probably most people, honestly. You can’t go get loaded and drive home like 25 years ago. The legal limits are almost nonexistent now. So, rather than risk that, wise people drink on their couch if they need it. 

Which is another point. I can go deal with all the stadium related stuff, try to see things from a distance, or I can watch my 70” 4K and eat great food that I made myself much cheaper and that’s much better quality. It’s really just a tiny part of the population that thinks being at a game in person is very important. 

The transient population thing is real, unfortunately, but it’s been real since the late 80s, early 90s. By now, a team with a track record of winning would’ve won over a whole generation, but they didn’t win. And 51 ensured it likely won’t change for another generation.

I can’t blame fans at all for finding other things to do. 

Watching on TV with the incredible high def options whether at home or at a bar with friends is much more appealing to me than going to the trouble of spending tI’m e, effort, and money to have less than great seats. 

And the transient thing is real and rears itself whenever New England, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Chicago, or the Giants come to town. It’s like a home game for them and the place is packed. People from other cities still love their teams and won’t switch allegiances after moving here. 

47 minutes ago, Epic Hot Takes said:

And going back to the old dome, why do we have the absolute ugliest artificial turf anywhere on the league? And the cavernous acoustics of MBS make it a very sterile place. No atmosphere. 

I was watching part of it on my phone while at Truist Park today and was thinking the same thing.   Between the lighting, field and dead atmosphere they might as well play in a warehouse

5 hours ago, Rings said:

I live a half hour from Cleveland dude.  In a town that has more reason than anyone to give up on their team, they show up proud and fill the stadium every year.  I’m a huge fan of the Falcons, and love the city and other things around there, but no one is going to convince me we have even a solid to good fan base, cause we don’t.  During our playoff run the coach had to make a public service announcement to beg the fans to be in their seats at kick off…what other fan base does that?  

We live in the most transient city in the world.  Atlanta is full of implants. Don’t expect it to fill up until we get a consistent WINNER.

3 hours ago, Epic Hot Takes said:

And going back to the old dome, why do we have the absolute ugliest artificial turf anywhere on the league? And the cavernous acoustics of MBS make it a very sterile place. No atmosphere. 

Because Arthur Blank had Rich Mckay of all people rush the idea of the stadium and literally turn it into a warehouse with turf

3 hours ago, Rings said:

I think it’s easier for me to put it in perspective because when you try to complain about blowing a lead in the playoffs to a fan who responds with “what’s the playoffs”, because until last year their team hadn’t been their in the last 20 years.  Not to mention they lost their team to Baltimore so they are thankful for even having a team.  Puts things in perspective a bit.

I think the fans in ATL have simply just endured too much hurt and heartbreak and not enough great times. 2016 truly felt like a very special season from the blowout win of the Rams all the way to blowing out of Green Bay. I think if the falcons finish the job, the culture and the approach from the fanbase changes. Instead, just like every great moment in falcons history, it had to end in embarrassment and total epic failure. I think we have a bitter fanbase. It’s there. But it’s very bitter 

27 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think the fans in ATL have simply just endured too much hurt and heartbreak and not enough great times. 2016 truly felt like a very special season from the blowout win of the Rams all the way to blowing out of Green Bay. I think if the falcons finish the job, the culture and the approach from the fanbase changes. Instead, just like every great moment in falcons history, it had to end in embarrassment and total epic failure. I think we have a bitter fanbase. It’s there. But it’s very bitter 

Anything about the Falcons play give any reason why we shouldn't be bitter?  Its embarrassing

• ya_boi_j unpinned and unfeatured this topic
6 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Facts bro!