Braves at Giants

For the A

This loss falls squarely on Smith. Yes, the offense was as predictably abysmal as possible in the extras but we should have never gotten to that point. Smith had Solano at 1-2. He needed to just throw a ball and force Solano to chase it out. 

This is one of most deflating losses I can remember. Man. I don’t think I’ll tune in a game for a while.

Smith also cost us a WS when he threw that ball to LA’s Will Smith. 

Yeah. This one hurts.

They mentioned on the postgame show that Will Smith threw 5 straight sliders to Solano with the 5th one being hit out for a homerun. I'm just at a loss for words. Why do you keep throwing the same pitch over and over and over again? Reminds me of the NLDS against the Dodgers when they threw 8 straight fastballs to Manny Machado before he finally launched the 8th one. You can't throw the same pitch over and over and over again. This is little league stuff. Yet here we are? How many of Will Smith's homeruns this year have been on the slider? Seems like all the ones I remember have been on the slider. It's just mind blowing. At what point does this coaching staff get held accountable for this kind of stuff? This team doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs. I don't wanna hear a thing about injuries cause there's still way too much talent for them to be this bad. Heads should roll but they won't. Everyone has already given Snit and company a complete free pass. I'm disgusted.

How in the world do people continue to defend this man? He clearly has no clue how to turn around this team and yet "players love him" is the most common line folks have to defend him. When "players love him" is the only positive you can come up with you've got a problem.

Take away that 9 game streak against the Sisters of the Poor and what have we really done? 

I really like Snitker as a person and admire his life story of perseverance, but he is clearly not top level manager material. Bench coach? Yeah. Minor league roving instructor? Yeah. Third base coach? Yeah. Just anything but manager. 

25 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Exactly, you think we'd try something new like bunting the runner over and hoping to score him on a sac fly. But nope.

Yeah, I'm sure analytics are telling Snitker not to but sometimes you gotta do something different just to see what happens. It may not work but at least we tried it

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, I'm sure analytics are telling Snitker not to but sometimes you gotta do something different just to see what happens. It may not work but at least we tried it

Amazes me that came out of his mouth, though. Thought he hated sac bunts. I agree though.

And if anyone wants to fix our extra inning issues, I’d think the easiest way is to not get there. Maybe…. STOP SENDING WILL SMITH OUT TO SAVE IT. 

26 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

The integration of analytics into Snit’s old school mindset is frying his brain. I’m sure he’s been told to embrace it but it’s not working. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Analytics does say that bunting the runner over gives you a lower percentage to win.Analytics has basically removed bunting from the game because it more than likely lowers your chances for producing runs which in turn lowers your chance of winning the game.  I’m not a firm believer in analytics. I do think there are uses for it in baseball but I feel teams use it to much. My thoughts are that you use them to scout your opponents but not really use them on your team. 

Edited by ToxicBraves

10 minutes ago, ToxicBraves said:

Analytics does say that bunting the runner over gives you a lower percentage to win.Analytics has basically removed bunting from the game because it more than likely lowers your chances for producing runs which in turn lowers your chance of winning the game.  I’m not a firm believer in analytics. I do think there are uses for it in baseball but I feel teams use it to much. My thoughts are that you use them to scout your opponents but not really use them on your team. 

It does lower your chances of scoring but when you’ve got 2 hits in the 10th inning all season cause the offensive isn’t getting the job done then I’m all for trying to do something different. We’ve seen Snitker bunt this year but never In extras. That’s the maddening part about it. It would also depend on the part of the lineup that’s dude up. You’re not gonna bunt with the top of the order up. But if you’ve got the bottom of the order up bunting is probably your best shot at scoring.

1 hour ago, ToxicBraves said:

When you are the home team in extra innings and you need just one run, it’s stupid NOT to bunt when you have a runner on second and no one out. That way a wild pitch, passed ball, sac fly, or a well placed infield hit gets you the run. If he’s on second it has to be an outfield hit (and there could still be a play at home) or a home run.