My Thoughts After Some Reflecting

dirtybirds233

Hopefully this doesn't get lost in the seemingly non-stop hot take posts. Here's what I saw yesterday and what I think about this team going forward. Those who have seen my comments/posts here know where I stand with Ryan and Smith, but I'm looking at this without bias or emotion.  

Game Thoughts:

• That was worst case scenario for our offensive line. Outside of Lindstrom, everyone looked terrible with god-awful performances from McGary and Mayfield. I'll also give Jake the benefit of the doubt since he had no help from Mayfield. 
  • Davis and Patterson had defenders waiting on them by the time they got the hand off. 
  • The pocket collapsed so quickly that Ryan was often forced to make a bad throw or to check down
  • When Ryan did have time, his passes looked like they were in slow motion. Accurate, but without any zip at all. 
  • There was absolutely zero creativity to the play calls. I've seen what Smith can do in Tennessee, and I've never seen him call a game that vanilla before.
  • Speaking of play design, why is Kyle Pitts on the sideline when we're in the redzone? Why was Lee Smith not used as an extra blocker to aid the left side?
  • I thought Pees dialed up some excellent blitzes, but whether it was bad angles or Hurts just stepping aside, we couldn't get to the QB. 
  • There is still not pressure from the front 4. Expected, but still frustrating.
  • Most of the wide open receivers were a result of no pass rush vs bad coverage. At times, Hurts could've taken a siesta behind his offensive line. 
  • Overall, this team was incredibly unprepared and did not look ready to play in an NFL game, and were incredibly undisciplined which killed multiple drives. That falls on the HC. 

Moving Forward:

I'll just be blunt here, this offense is going to be DOA every week with the current offensive line. In it's current makeup, we will never be able to establish a running game and Ryan has about enough time to check the ball down. I think things will gel better as time goes on, but the talent isn't there. I liked what I saw from Pees. His defense held Philly to 22 points before the wheels fell off in the final minutes of the game. But once again, mobile QBs are going to kill us this year since our only pass rush is by blitzing. As it stands now, you can go ahead and expect a loss to any team with a premier defensive front and/or a mobile QB. 5 of our next 7 games are against defenses that finished in the top half of the league in pressure generated last season. 

I don't mind a loss. It's a new staff with a ton of roster turnover. But to look that unprepared and almost disinterested is completely unacceptable and falls directly on Smith's shoulders.  

10 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Hopefully this doesn't get lost in the seemingly non-stop hot take posts. Here's what I saw yesterday and what I think about this team going forward. Those who have seen my comments/posts here know where I stand with Ryan and Smith, but I'm looking at this without bias or emotion.  

Game Thoughts:

• That was worst case scenario for our offensive line. Outside of Lindstrom, everyone looked terrible with god-awful performances from McGary and Mayfield. I'll also give Jake the benefit of the doubt since he had no help from Mayfield. 
  • Davis and Patterson had defenders waiting on them by the time they got the hand off. 
  • The pocket collapsed so quickly that Ryan was often forced to make a bad throw or to check down
  • When Ryan did have time, his passes looked like they were in slow motion. Accurate, but without any zip at all. 
  • There was absolutely zero creativity to the play calls. I've seen what Smith can do in Tennessee, and I've never seen him call a game that vanilla before.
  • Speaking of play design, why is Kyle Pitts on the sideline when we're in the redzone? Why was Lee Smith not used as an extra blocker to aid the left side?
  • I thought Pees dialed up some excellent blitzes, but whether it was bad angles or Hurts just stepping aside, we couldn't get to the QB. 
  • There is still not pressure from the front 4. Expected, but still frustrating.
  • Most of the wide open receivers were a result of no pass rush vs bad coverage. At times, Hurts could've taken a siesta behind his offensive line. 
  • Overall, this team was incredibly unprepared and did not look ready to play in an NFL game, and were incredibly undisciplined which killed multiple drives. That falls on the HC. 

Moving Forward:

I'll just be blunt here, this offense is going to be DOA every week with the current offensive line. In it's current makeup, we will never be able to establish a running game and Ryan has about enough time to check the ball down. I think things will gel better as time goes on, but the talent isn't there. I liked what I saw from Pees. His defense held Philly to 22 points before the wheels fell off in the final minutes of the game. But once again, mobile QBs are going to kill us this year since our only pass rush is by blitzing. As it stands now, you can go ahead and expect a loss to any team with a premier defensive front and/or a mobile QB. 5 of our next 7 games are against defenses that finished in the top half of the league in pressure generated last season. 

I don't mind a loss. It's a new staff with a ton of roster turnover. But to look that unprepared and almost disinterested is completely unacceptable and falls directly on Smith's shoulders.  

Your assessment is spot on from what I saw yesterday. Unfortunately by the time they can fix it Ryan will be dead and gone

7 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Game Thoughts:

Moving Forward:

I agree with most of what you said.  I don't think there is a QB you could put behind this line that could generate any consistent results whatsoever.  The interior left is a wide open hole for defenders to run straight into Matt's gut.

He's losing zip because he can't step into his throws.  Several of them he had to release early because the Dline was already in his face.  When we are in positive gamescript, the offense can flow because the defense doesn't know run or pass, and that hesitancy gives us the upperhand.

One thing i'll say about the defense is that I don't believe they were as good as many here state.  Yes, they got 4th down stops when they could, but that doesn't negate the fact that the Eagles were easily able to move into falcons territory drive after drive.  Had philly not gone for it on 4th down, you can tack those up as 3 points against other teams.  We could have been down 19-6 at half.  Our zone coverage has gaping holes and they were able to turn screens and dumpoffs into 15-20 yard gainers.

Offensively, we can't get behind because this Oline can't win in obvious pass situations.  Additionally, why not throw Lee Smith in at Hback strictly for pass protection this could have bought us a little extra time.

The sky isn't falling but the same problems that plagued the defense last year look the same.  I don't think Hurts ever threw a tight window throw.  That said, however, the officiating was suspect at times and i'm not so sure goedert caught those two passes (one in endzone and the other for the long gain) those were huge plays.

In closing, the Falcons did a great job of beating themselves at critical moments with penalties.  That goal to go sequence was horrendous and there were several other big ones that just ended drives.

26 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

When Ryan did have time, his passes looked like they were in slow motion. Accurate, but without any zip at all.

Some good points in there. I'd note this one, because I remember this kind of being the case season one under Kyle. I wonder if it's that our WRs are still trying to get used to their routes, and the timing/depth are off enough that Matt can't confidently fire it in areas he might have in the old scheme. 

If that is the case, it'll iron itself out as we go along. 5-10 yard passes will become 10-15 in a month or so once these WRs get in and out of their routes faster.

I think that Smith may have underestimated the lack of talent on the roster. TD and DQ made some very poor draft and contract decisions, obviously. This is going to take a while to get better, assuming the new regime is competent. While very early, I don’t love what I’m seeing from their first draft class. As a fan and season ticket holder, watching years pass by between competitive seasons is hard to accept/pay for. 

I also saw a lot of Tennessee Titans games and there were plenty of vanilla play calls just like today. Arthur Smith looks a lot better when he can get out to a lead, but when he falls behind he is a very basic by the Numbers vanilla play-calling and that's what you saw today

1 hour ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Game Thoughts:

Moving Forward:

48 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

I agree with most of what you said.  I don't think there is a QB you could put behind this line that could generate any consistent results whatsoever.  The interior left is a wide open hole for defenders to run straight into Matt's gut.

He's losing zip because he can't step into his throws.  Several of them he had to release early because the Dline was already in his face.  When we are in positive gamescript, the offense can flow because the defense doesn't know run or pass, and that hesitancy gives us the upperhand.

One thing i'll say about the defense is that I don't believe they were as good as many here state.  Yes, they got 4th down stops when they could, but that doesn't negate the fact that the Eagles were easily able to move into falcons territory drive after drive.  Had philly not gone for it on 4th down, you can tack those up as 3 points against other teams.  We could have been down 19-6 at half.  Our zone coverage has gaping holes and they were able to turn screens and dumpoffs into 15-20 yard gainers.

Offensively, we can't get behind because this Oline can't win in obvious pass situations.  Additionally, why not throw Lee Smith in at Hback strictly for pass protection this could have bought us a little extra time.

The sky isn't falling but the same problems that plagued the defense last year look the same.  I don't think Hurts ever threw a tight window throw.  That said, however, the officiating was suspect at times and i'm not so sure goedert caught those two passes (one in endzone and the other for the long gain) those were huge plays.

In closing, the Falcons did a great job of beating themselves at critical moments with penalties.  That goal to go sequence was horrendous and there were several other big ones that just ended drives.

I agree with your statement about the defense.

This hasn't come up but it will at some point. The depth of the secondary which is odd considering how many resources TD would put into the secondary every season.

But let's also reset expectations here.

Personally the ceiling I have for the defense is to not be horrible, (which is completely different than being good or average), and that's what they did yesterday. 1st time starter, new head coach, new offensive system and the Falcons made a couple of stops.

This upcoming week? I fully expect the wheels to fall off and Tom Brady to expose the secondary.

Of course this being the Falcons I could see them with a 'moral victory' where they hang in there and lose a close one.  But odds are the defense is going to get roasted.

1 hour ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Moving Forward:

I'll just be blunt here, this offense is going to be DOA every week with the current offensive line. In it's current makeup,

Very nice post! All I disagree with is this point. I think we saw flashes of the what the offense can be if it stays ahead of the chains, passes off of the run, and doesn't commit bonehead penalties (pre-snap, redzone--unneeded OPI to end two early second half drives). There will be weeks when those things don't happen. On those weeks I think its possible not to expose the OL. I think a less mobile QB will also allow Pees to get more rewards from the very nice pressures he designed this week that Hurts simply out maneuvered. Add some disruption for the opposing QB, and suddenly our offense is able to stay balance longer. 

Now, if you modify the statement to say this offense is going to be DOA every time it finds itself in "must pass" situation, then I'm totally on board. Overall. Good stuff! 

Some things I noticed early in the game the bootleg run plays were picking up 5 or more yards a clip. I thought this is perfect as it will open up the playaction bootleg. And they never really did it.. when they did try the eagles defender never bit and was in Ryan's face. There was one play late in the 3rd or early in the 4th where Ryan checked down and ridley was streaking down the middle wide open, would've been a easy td . Think Ryan was shook by all the hits he was taking. Gonna be a long year if this online doesn't get better

1 minute ago, dudouble said:

Some things I noticed early in the game the bootleg run plays were picking up 5 or more yards a clip. I thought this is perfect as it will open up the playaction bootleg. And they never really did it.. when they did try the eagles defender never bit and was in Ryan's face. There was one play late in the 3rd or early in the 4th where Ryan checked down and ridley was streaking down the middle wide open, would've been a easy td . Think Ryan was shook by all the hits he was taking. Gonna be a long year if this online doesn't get better

They didn't respect the Falcons receiving options and the Falcons didn't make them pay for it.

Either the Falcons have to kill them on running plays or begin killing them in the air so teams respect it.

Until that happens I would expect to see more of what happened with the Eagles.

Went back and watched our first two offensive drives again. It wasn't as good as it seemed live. I watched the plays at half-speed, and outside of 1-2 plays, the offensive line was falling apart. I have a screen grab of the 2nd Ridley reception and in it, Mayfield is literally standing by himself blocking no one while Ryan is getting smacked when releasing the ball. Even Davis' first big run, the offensive line was completely stuffed and he had to change the direction of the run....#58 for the Eagles thought it was a play action and stumbled, giving Davis room on the opposite side of the run design. On the 3rd and goal play, the Eagles only sent 3 and dropped everyone else back. There was nowhere for Ryan to go. Smith should have given Ryan a kill call to switch to a run in case of that situation. 

On the second drive, the Eagles basically ran deep cover 3, allowing the short flats to be open (they stuck with this the remainder of the game for the most part). As the offensive line predictably broke down, Ryan's only choices were to throw it to the flats, make a dangerous deep shot, or take a sack. 

Point here, is the Eagles knew they could throw everyone into coverage and still get after Ryan and stuff the run. Send 4 guys, and we might pick up 4-5 yards. Send any more than that, and you're getting a TFL, sack, or an incompletion. As I said above, we are DOA with this offensive line. 

4 minutes ago, dudouble said:

He absolutely was. He was getting around 2 seconds per drop back before pressure was on him on most snaps, so on the rare occasion where he wasn't under pressure, his internal clock was forcing him to look to the flats 

2 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Game Thoughts:

Moving Forward:

I agree 100%

Well done OP 

Most all of us feel the same way.

Even after a horrific showing, a level headed reaction is always better received.

We can all express our disgust, disapproval & disappointment without USING the turmoil to attack or fulfill an agenda.  The ones who take this approach are actually more disgusting than the game itself.  

3 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

That was worst case scenario for our offensive line. Outside of Lindstrom, everyone looked terrible with god-awful performances from McGary and Mayfield. I'll also give Jake the benefit of the doubt since he had no help from Mayfield. 

Jake was the only o-lineman not to give up a pressure.

I'm not saying this team looked great yesterday or even decent. But I had a commitment during the 1st half and arrived home for the 2nd half. THEN, I watched the 1st half on replay. The game looked much better in reverse lol.

What I saw I liked: 

• Coradelle Patterson is a STUD. He will absolutely take some long runs to the house this season. He is bigger, faster, and more elusive than Davis and should be starting imo.
  • I like the occasional use of a fullback. Not ALL the time like Mularkey. But at least occasionally.
  • I like that we had both Patterson AND Davis in the backfield at times. With Patterson's receiver ability, that can provide some interesting play combinations
  • The Right Side of our OL was doing some road grading in the first half. We were also getting significant traction on cutback lanes.
  • ANYTIME you run for 100+ yards in a half, that is a very good thing. We just didn't close the deal. We didn't get TDs, we got FGs. Mostly because of stupid penalties.
  • Despite the fact that Hurts mostly eluded them, I LOVE the pressure packages we are running. You can cry about getting no pressure with 4 all day long. But imo, if you can't, you have to bring 5 or 6. You can't let the QB sit back there all day and kill you with 1000 paper cuts.

What I saw that I truly hated:

• If this coaching staff thinks we can win more than 7 games with our current LG, they are dreaming. He may be good eventually. But he ain't ready yet. We need to hit the FA market and get whatever we can. I'd even spend a draft pick.
  • We are still getting NO separation on routes. IDK. I just don't know.
  • On the opposite side, the Philly receivers were constantly 2-3 yards separated from our defenders. Even worse when we went zone.
  • Matt Ryan threw about 3 "high-caliber NFL" passes all day.
    • The seam to Ridley on play 1
    • The seam to Pitts in the 2nd half
    • The out to Ridley that went off his hands
  • The rest of Matt's throws had ZERO velocity and/or lacked accuracy. Furthermore, he took too long to release most of them. Defenders constantly had time to close the gap and knock the ball away. A couple could have easily been pick sixes had the defender gone for it.