Braves agree to extension with Morton

Unknøwn

Mostly not surprised by this due to how well he's pitched for us this year. However, I am a bit surprised by it due to him seriously considering retirement last year (before dipping his arm in the fountain of youth), and the fact that it is for $20 million. No discount here. He's been great for us, but that's a lot. He has been healthy, is very consistent, hasn't lost velocity, and has mostly pitched like an ace all year. 

I guess it's:

Morton/Fried/Anderson/Touki/someone

To start the season next year. 

Glad he's coming back. 

31 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Mostly not surprised by this due to how well he's pitched for us this year. However, I am a bit surprised by it due to him seriously considering retirement last year (before dipping his arm in the fountain of youth), and the fact that it is for $20 million. No discount here. He's been great for us, but that's a lot. He has been healthy, is very consistent, hasn't lost velocity, and has mostly pitched like an ace all year. 

I guess it's:

Glad he's coming back. 

Someone meaning gnoa, or one of the other youngsters in AAA.

41 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I guess it's:

Glad he's coming back. 

Soroka getting moved? 

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Was talking to someone the other day about future FAs the Braves should resign. Charlie was in my top 2, I think Soler should be the other.

Especially if the DH does come to the NL.

Keep Soler and let him be the DH and then roll with some combo of Acuna,Pache, Duvall, Joc and someone like Waters.

18 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Especially if the DH does come to the NL.

Keep Soler and let him be the DH and then roll with some combo of Acuna,Pache, Duvall, Joc and someone like Waters.

What about Ozuna?

Is either Joc or Duvall signed through next year? I think only Duvall has a team option. 

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

What about Ozuna?

Is either Joc or Duvall signed through next year? I think only Duvall has a team option. 

I don't see Ozuna on this team next year. I must admit though, I think the chances of it are greater than 0%, though.

Joc and Duvall has mutual options for next year.

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV

18 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If he goes to prison... Or even any sort of significant jail time I really don't see him ever putting a baseball uniform on again in the United States

I don't see either of those happening unless there has been another development I'm not aware of. 

He might be a suspension but that's it.

Ozuna probably won't play in Atlanta again. He might sign somewhere else but I don't know if the Braves will let him come back. They'll probably figure out some way to get him out of here. I've heard DOB mention the same thing. He said he doesn't see any way he's allowed back. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Ozuna probably won't play in Atlanta again. He might sign somewhere else but I don't know if the Braves will let him come back. They'll probably figure out some way to get him out of here. I've heard DOB mention the same thing. He said he doesn't see any way he's allowed back. 

After all these years of nickle and diming they better not just let him leave, pay his salary and then **** the fans over with "budget constraints".

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

After all these years of nickle and diming they better not just let him leave, pay his salary and then **** the fans over with "budget constraints".

It's a PR thing. Ozuna has a toxic image now. They lessened the charge but it's still a misdemeanor. It's a risk to reintroduce him to the clubhouse with guys who will not be comfortable around him. They immediately dropped his mix up gesture. They never did do it again. 

Back to Morton, did even the most optimistic of pre-season analysis think Morton would be this good with us this year? He's been really good. I know many sites liked him and didn't expect him to fall off the earth - even despite his age - but he's been a breath of fresh air with all the injuries (Soroka *sigh*, Ynoa *self-inflicted sigh*, Anderson) and return-to-earth performances (re: Fried, Smyly) we've had amongst our regulars this year.

7 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Back to Morton, did even the most optimistic of pre-season analysis think Morton would be this good with us this year? He's been really good. I know many sites liked him and didn't expect him to fall off the earth - even despite his age - but he's been a breath of fresh air with all the injuries (Soroka *sigh*, Ynoa *self-inflicted sigh*, Anderson) and return-to-earth performances (re: Fried, Smyly) we've had amongst our regulars this year.

I think so, hes pretty dominant since 2017. He had a hiccup last year but got things going late in the year and in the playoffs. This year's 3.40 ERA would be his highest in a full season since 2017. 

43 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

It's a PR thing. Ozuna has a toxic image now. They lessened the charge but it's still a misdemeanor. It's a risk to reintroduce him to the clubhouse with guys who will not be comfortable around him. They immediately dropped his mix up gesture. They never did do it again. 

It's going to be an even bigger PR thing when the MLBPA inevitably steps in.

I know I've been calling for us to bring back Charlie for a while now.

This isn't about our keeping Jo Jo Reyes instead or anything. Morton wasn't this guy when we gave him away.

The light came on at a much later age for him than most, but he's different now. He's a terrifying opponent to face.

That's been readily apparent during the playoffs in particular. He believes in himself.

Those are the guys you don't want pitching against you.