Jump to content

Braves agree to extension with Morton


Unknøwn
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mostly not surprised by this due to how well he's pitched for us this year. However, I am a bit surprised by it due to him seriously considering retirement last year (before dipping his arm in the fountain of youth), and the fact that it is for $20 million. No discount here. He's been great for us, but that's a lot. He has been healthy, is very consistent, hasn't lost velocity, and has mostly pitched like an ace all year. 

I guess it's:

Morton/Fried/Anderson/Touki/someone

To start the season next year. 

Glad he's coming back. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Mostly not surprised by this due to how well he's pitched for us this year. However, I am a bit surprised by it due to him seriously considering retirement last year (before dipping his arm in the fountain of youth), and the fact that it is for $20 million. No discount here. He's been great for us, but that's a lot. He has been healthy, is very consistent, hasn't lost velocity, and has mostly pitched like an ace all year. 

I guess it's:

Morton/Fried/Anderson/Touki/someone

To start the season next year. 

Glad he's coming back. 

 

Someone meaning gnoa, or one of the other youngsters in AAA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Mostly not surprised by this due to how well he's pitched for us this year. However, I am a bit surprised by it due to him seriously considering retirement last year (before dipping his arm in the fountain of youth), and the fact that it is for $20 million. No discount here. He's been great for us, but that's a lot. He has been healthy, is very consistent, hasn't lost velocity, and has mostly pitched like an ace all year. 

I guess it's:

Morton/Fried/Anderson/Touki/someone

To start the season next year. 

Glad he's coming back. 

 

Soroka getting moved? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Was talking to someone the other day about future FAs the Braves should resign. Charlie was in my top 2, I think Soler should be the other.

Especially if the DH does come to the NL.

Keep Soler and let him be the DH and then roll with some combo of Acuna,Pache, Duvall, Joc and someone like Waters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Especially if the DH does come to the NL.

Keep Soler and let him be the DH and then roll with some combo of Acuna,Pache, Duvall, Joc and someone like Waters.

What about Ozuna?

Is either Joc or Duvall signed through next year? I think only Duvall has a team option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

What about Ozuna?

Is either Joc or Duvall signed through next year? I think only Duvall has a team option. 

I don't see Ozuna on this team next year. I must admit though, I think the chances of it are greater than 0%, though.

Joc and Duvall has mutual options for next year.

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If he goes to prison... Or even any sort of significant jail time I really don't see him ever putting a baseball uniform on again in the United States

I don't see either of those happening unless there has been another development I'm not aware of. 

He might be a suspension but that's it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ozuna probably won't play in Atlanta again. He might sign somewhere else but I don't know if the Braves will let him come back. They'll probably figure out some way to get him out of here. I've heard DOB mention the same thing. He said he doesn't see any way he's allowed back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Ozuna probably won't play in Atlanta again. He might sign somewhere else but I don't know if the Braves will let him come back. They'll probably figure out some way to get him out of here. I've heard DOB mention the same thing. He said he doesn't see any way he's allowed back. 

After all these years of nickle and diming they better not just let him leave, pay his salary and then **** the fans over with "budget constraints".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

After all these years of nickle and diming they better not just let him leave, pay his salary and then **** the fans over with "budget constraints".

It's a PR thing. Ozuna has a toxic image now. They lessened the charge but it's still a misdemeanor. It's a risk to reintroduce him to the clubhouse with guys who will not be comfortable around him. They immediately dropped his mix up gesture. They never did do it again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to Morton, did even the most optimistic of pre-season analysis think Morton would be this good with us this year? He's been really good. I know many sites liked him and didn't expect him to fall off the earth - even despite his age - but he's been a breath of fresh air with all the injuries (Soroka *sigh*, Ynoa *self-inflicted sigh*, Anderson) and return-to-earth performances (re: Fried, Smyly) we've had amongst our regulars this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Back to Morton, did even the most optimistic of pre-season analysis think Morton would be this good with us this year? He's been really good. I know many sites liked him and didn't expect him to fall off the earth - even despite his age - but he's been a breath of fresh air with all the injuries (Soroka *sigh*, Ynoa *self-inflicted sigh*, Anderson) and return-to-earth performances (re: Fried, Smyly) we've had amongst our regulars this year.

I think so, hes pretty dominant since 2017. He had a hiccup last year but got things going late in the year and in the playoffs. This year's 3.40 ERA would be his highest in a full season since 2017. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

It's a PR thing. Ozuna has a toxic image now. They lessened the charge but it's still a misdemeanor. It's a risk to reintroduce him to the clubhouse with guys who will not be comfortable around him. They immediately dropped his mix up gesture. They never did do it again. 

It's going to be an even bigger PR thing when the MLBPA inevitably steps in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I've been calling for us to bring back Charlie for a while now.

This isn't about our keeping Jo Jo Reyes instead or anything. Morton wasn't this guy when we gave him away.

The light came on at a much later age for him than most, but he's different now. He's a terrifying opponent to face.

That's been readily apparent during the playoffs in particular. He believes in himself.

Those are the guys you don't want pitching against you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...