Official falcons podcast

jdawg4876

41 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

I watched this last night and i was impressed with dave archer and dj shockley honest candor. Gave our roster a C. Dave agrees the cb group is crazy thin, and o line got problems too. I wish some of the posters were more honest with themselves.

I haven't watched yet, but will. I do not agree with a C though. We have talent and a lot of young talent. They will take some lumps, but that's how a lot get better. We should be fine as long as the new coaching and new schemes are going to be what I think they are. Are we a Super Bowl team? No and I don't think anyone thinks we are. I do think however we are right there at being a playoff team. I can see us winning right around 10 games. I do think we are going to surprise some people. 

13 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

If all 22 stay healthy perhaps but just barely a playoff team. If we get injured early in just a couple of spots we are at max a 6 win team, as the roster stands now. We are not very good my man

You can't quantify the coaching factor. Put this years staff in charge of last years team, and it's a playoff team 

2 hours ago, jdawg4876 said:

I watched this last night and i was impressed with dave archer and dj shockley honest candor. Gave our roster a C. Dave agrees the cb group is crazy thin, and o line got problems too. I wish some of the posters were more honest with themselves.

From what they where saying I haven't seen anyone say stuff much different from what people here say. Starters are B and you are ok with sending them out and facing anyone in the league. Its only when you get in the depth of the positions that the worry happens.

my biggest concerns is WR,CB,OL but with the right play calls helps both the WR and OL. As for CB with our strength in our LB that helps with both the CB and the DL. Also keeping the Defense off the field more then we have in the past, that also help. The only reason I have hope that I believe that the coaching staff has the agility to get the most of this team and that to hide the weakness of this team with scheme and with the strength of this team.     

QB: A)  Matt Ryan hasn't went anywhere and is still a top 10 QB

RB: B- ) Mike Davis being the starter has the ability to be top 15. ( The rank I think can go only down, that this is the ceiling.) 

WR: C+ ) Calvin Ridley is easily a A+ but the rest of the WR I don't think are even a B WR where they are playing. Gage in my book will be a C grade #2 WR but is a B grade #3 WR. That being said he will probably be the 3rd or 4th option so I think he will do fine. ( I think the ceiling for the WR is a B

TE: B ) not much to talk here i think we have a good group and even not counting the unicorn its still strong. (could easily jump to a A)

OL: C+ ) we have 2 starters that you can be happy about other then that its all a big question mark. ( if the scheme is here to help this guys with running the ball and no having them block like Kotter made them I think they climb into a B-

DL: C ) The main thing that is holding this DL is Grady Jarrett. ( we have a few guys showing some promise and with the scheme this will jump to a B

LB: A )  this is the strength of our defense we have 2 linebackers in the top of the league and another one on the climb plus the depth is strong)

CB: C- ) we have AJ and that is it as of right now. We are hoping for him to be better then last year. I don't know where the ceiling can be.)

S/FS: ? ) I can not speak on this part of the team because I always been lacking in this department other then saying to draft (Honey Badger(Tyrann Mathieu) Budda Baker) but everyone knew they would be great lol.

This is what I think our team is at right now. 

Edited by AllStarHandyMan

C is not a bad grade to be honest. It is average. As long as that C applies to defense, I'd say it represents an upgrade! C rosters can easily make the playoffs with proper coaching and solid execution. It is not an insulting grade in my opinion. Most of the 32 fan bases will tell you their roster is above average and only other factors hold them back (coaching, injuries, refs, ownership, etc.). 16 of those fan bases would be wrong. 

They did not give it a C....they gave it a B- to c+.

They were far more positive than you are giving them credit for

1 hour ago, dirtybirds233 said:

You can't quantify the coaching factor. Put this years staff in charge of last years team, and it's a playoff team 

totally disagree the o line couldnt run block last yr and smith loves to run and gurley last yr was not 1/5th of what derrick henry is or was last yr, and there is a reason brian hill and ito smith are gone, this staff didnt want them either

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

They did not give it a C....they gave it a B- to c+.

They were far more positive than you are giving them credit for

shock was but archer was not that positive, I mean they are paid by the falcons organization, they are not going to be like this group is an F, and expect a check to still be cut

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

C is not a bad grade to be honest. It is average. As long as that C applies to defense, I'd say it represents an upgrade! C rosters can easily make the playoffs with proper coaching and solid execution. It is not an insulting grade in my opinion. Most of the 32 fan bases will tell you their roster is above average and only other factors hold them back (coaching, injuries, refs, ownership, etc.). 16 of those fan bases would be wrong. 

c is below avg a B is avg. Either way it is all  guessing game, I just look at it like this. Archer especially is there everyday and sees every practice up close and personal. So reading between the lines of him not wanting to critique the organization too hard bc they PAY him, he def has some concerns and said as much, even when he was giving his team strengths.

I just think some of the folks who think this team is an 11-13 win team are living in some type of fantasy land.

1 minute ago, jdawg4876 said:

c is below avg a B is avg. Either way it is all  guessing game, I just look at it like this. Archer especially is there everyday and sees every practice up close and personal. So reading between the lines of him not wanting to critique the organization too hard bc they PAY him, he def has some concerns and said as much, even when he was giving his team strengths.

I just think some of the folks who think this team is an 11-13 win team are living in some type of fantasy land.

AB and above average. DF below average. C average. Am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

AB and above average. DF below average. C average. Am I missing something?

a c is not really avg when you add in plus and minus like they were, it is slightly below avg but since arch said C+ sure, but that is still mediocre. If your kid came home with a 76 on a report card aka C+, you might not get mad but I dont think you would be jumping up and down as if they made all As or high Bs.

IF you do jump and down I suggest higher standards.

I wanta play

QB - A- (MR is an A all by himself)

RB - B (Davis and CP and a slightly more experienced Ollie and this group is 10x better than last year. These 3 will help punish the DL)

Receivers - B (Rid is an A+; keep Gage in the slot and let Oz stretch the field deep - that switch with Gage and Oz would be a shocker and we know Gage is good in the slot. Others like Darby, Blake and Sharpe will improve rapidly. Mix in a little CP and it'll be scary by midseason. Throw in TEs and RBs and you suddenly have a multitude of pass catchers)

OL - C (no grade change from Andrews to Mayfield and this line will also improve rapidly from week to week. Henny is improving rapidly from last year and Mack kinda stunk in 2020 too)

DL - B- (this line will be better than we think. They were already top 8 against the run last year. We may not have a sack machine, but Grady, JTM, Fowler, Means, Ogundeji and possibly a waiver wire pickup for the middle will be solid against the run. I know some of these are LBers, but when they are in 4-3 sets they are DL)

LB - A- (no explanations necessary and they'll help the DL look better)

CB - B- (AJ makes the floor a B-. Also some young and quickly improving young rooks)

S - B- (solid but not spectacular starting point and we already know Hawkins can get after it. Add Grant in several weeks and you have some young and quickly improving depth)

With coaching, overall solid B with a A- ceiling. No more injuries.

my rantings

qb- A I like matt and josh

Wr- C+ It is ridley or bust to me, gage is an ok number 3, dont like him as a 2. The rest are very sub par

RB-C+ could go up to a B too many unkowns

O line- C- could go up bc of scheme help, but not a lot of talent starting and now andrews broke his hand, and depth was already bad

TE- B+ could go to an A

D Line- C+ its grady or bust we have some good rotational ;pieces, but not a true running mate

LB- B I think they are slightly above avg

CB- D I dont like this group at all really besides AJ, I hope Im proven wrong

S-  B+ I like this group a lot and I hope they can make the cbs look better and be mistake erasers

Special Teams- C+ I like koo, but the rest seem slow aka gunners, and im not a fan of the punter, it takes him too long to get the ball off. I do like patterson and avery returning the ball though

5 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I wanta play

QB - A- (MR is an A all by himself)

RB - B (Davis and CP and a slightly more experienced Ollie and this group is 10x better than last year. These 3 will help punish the DL)

Receivers - B (Rid is an A+; keep Gage in the slot and let Oz stretch the field deep - that switch with Gage and Oz would be a shocker and we know Gage is good in the slot. Others like Darby, Blake and Sharpe will improve rapidly. Mix in a little CP and it'll be scary by midseason. Throw in TEs and RBs and you suddenly have a multitude of pass catchers)

OL - C (no grade change from Andrews to Mayfield and this line will also improve rapidly from week to week. Henny is improving rapidly from last year and Mack kinda stunk in 2020 too)

DL - B- (this line will be better than we think. They were already top 8 against the run last year. We may not have a sack machine, but Grady, JTM, Fowler, Means, Ogundeji and possibly a waiver wire pickup for the middle will be solid against the run. I know some of these are LBers, but when they are in 4-3 sets they are DL)

LB - A- (no explanations necessary and they'll help the DL look better)

CB - B- (AJ makes the floor a B-. Also some young and quickly improving young rooks)

S - B- (solid but not spectacular starting point and we already know Hawkins can get after it. Add Grant in several weeks and you have some young and quickly improving depth)

With coaching, overall solid B with a A- ceiling. No more injuries.

wow that is some rose colored glasses that I just dont have.

17 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

a c is not really avg when you add in plus and minus like they were, it is slightly below avg but since arch said C+ sure, but that is still mediocre. If your kid came home with a 76 on a report card aka C+, you might not get mad but I dont think you would be jumping up and down as if they made all As or high Bs.

IF you do jump and down I suggest higher standards.

My point was just that everyone thinks their team is better than that, and half of us are wrong...and that teams in that range can certainly overachieve and be playoff relevant. 

I'll play along...

QB: A (Matt is going to bounce back big time and I like Rosen as QB2)

RB:  B* (Love the Davis signing, love having CP84 catching balls out of the backfield ala Teco, the * for me is the Arthur Smith Factor and I believe he can enhance this group even more)

WR: A (Ridley is a bonafide 1 and I love Gage as a 2.  WR3 is a little dicey for me but I also think Pitts will be utilized split out which bumps this group up for me)

OL: D+ (Outside of Jake and Chris I don't have a ton of confidence...especially at LG...but like the WR group I think AS could bump this group up with scheme)

TE: B+ (If Pitts is as advertised, this goes to a no brainer A+ but wait and see.  Hurst as a TE2 is amazing value)

DL: C+ (Grady and Davison are a nice pair.  If Davidson comes along and we get a Bullard or Means to step up with Pees calling shots, could move to a B)

LB: A (Jones, Foye and Walker in this scheme are going to be elite)

CB: B- (AJ is a stud, Moreau is not a flashy name but is stable and solid, Oliver inside where he showed out even with the terrible defense last year.  Think this group gets overlooked)

S: B+ (Love the additions of Harmon and Harris.  Smart safeties finally who won't get beat up the seams)

ST: B+ (Koo is a stud.  Nizialek looks like he should be fine.  Avery Williams and CP84 are HUGE additions to the return game)