Braves at Marlins

For the A

41 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

We'll get a good measuring stick coming up as we run through the NL West but I'm not convinced this team can't make an October run. They might be missing Acuna but if they play like they have been the last two weeks this team will be a tough matchup in October. 

I think Fried/Morton/Anderson in a short series with Smyly filling an Andrew Miller-style role out of the pen could be devastating. 

In the end I don't think they can stack with the Dodgers without Acuna, but they could certainly make another run.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The radio guys also mentioned that it's been a while since the Braves wore the navy jerseys and they're right. The last time the Braves wore the navy jerseys was July 26th. Tonight is their 11th straight road game wearing gray. They're 9-2 in those 11 games.

BTW, I don't blame the Braves for kinda ditching the blue jerseys. They look sharp and I love them but I've said they're bad luck since the first time they wore them for the season opener in 2008 in the 1st game at Nats Park and Ryan Zimmerman hit the walkoff HR off Peter Moylan.

6 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

It was radio or somewhere the other day that was speculating if Joc Pederson has been an invaluable influence. They were saying how Joc brings that Dodgers approach of being patient and wearing the pitcher down. 

Why doesn’t everyone do this? I’m an idiot and I’ve been an advocate of this approach since forever. It’s Baseball 101 to me. And the Braves of all teams should have learned this lesson after the NLCS last year. It’s a huge reason the Dodgers beat us last year. It gives you a big psychological advantage when opponents know they can’t fool you and HAVE to throw in the zone to get you out. 

Eleven walks? Geez Louise… Like Billy Beane said, baseball is all about getting on base. Another mantra I heard way back in the day is that “Small ball never goes into a slump”. And truth be told, it can get you out of a slump too. 

Edited by BraveFan66

5 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Another Braves win!! Love it!! This is fun!! Braves now up 1.5 games on the Phillies. 11-2 in their last 13 games!!

This is where the Braves should be anyway. Look at the rest of this pathetic division. Phillies are only decent team and they have issues and are fading. If we don’t end up winning the division by 10 or more games I’ll be disappointed… And kudos to the obvious choice for GM of the year AA for piece-mealing together this improbable roster in such a short time without literally  selling the farm. It’s quite amazing what he has done. The allegedly great John Schuerholz couldn’t sniff AA’s jockstrap. JS had Ted’s bottomless wallet and a Bobby Cox-built farm system to do his deals. He’d fail badly having to work in AA’s environment. 

Edited by BraveFan66

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

I think Fried/Morton/Anderson in a short series with Smyly filling an Andrew Miller-style role out of the pen could be devastating. 

In the end I don't think they can stack with the Dodgers without Acuna, but they could certainly make another run.

Funny how things come full circle. This is the way bullpens ran back in the day. 

10 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

We are only 3 GB of the Padres right now for the 2nd WC spot too

That is good to know in case us and the Phillies go Mano a Mano but I don’t think we’ll need it because we will win this division going away. 

We need to take 2/3 from the Marlins at least. Then hope the DBacks can take at least 1 from Philly. That way we won’t lose any ground. Would prefer to gain ground, but Arizona is still terrible even though they are playing a little better (4-6 in their last 10 which is a huge improvement for them lol)

16 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

We need to take 2/3 from the Marlins at least. Then hope the DBacks can take at least 1 from Philly. That way we won’t lose any ground. Would prefer to gain ground, but Arizona is still terrible even though they are playing a little better (4-6 in their last 10 which is a huge improvement for them lol)

Luckily this weekend we're in Baltimore and Philly is in SD. Helps even out, hopefully. I'm gunning for a sweep of Miami and Baltimore 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Luckily this weekend we're in Baltimore and Philly is in SD. Helps even out, hopefully. I'm gunning for a sweep of Miami and Baltimore 

Definitely the ideal scenario. A 6-0 week could put us 3 or 4 games up. We may need a bit of a buffer with some tough games coming up. Fortunately Philly struggles on the road 

7 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Will be interesting to see Ynoa tonight. He could be a big piece down the stretch if he's anywhere close to what he was before breaking his hand. He got up to 83 pitches in his final rehab start so he should be pretty close to fully stretched out. 

Really need Ynoa to come back the way he was playing before he hurt himself, because Drew Smyly is really starting to fade.  I'm hoping Ynoa (and Anderson) can both re-take their spots in the rotation, allowing us to shift Smyly into more of a long-relief type role moving into the postseason.

40 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I can't like this. Should have kept Webb and sent Tomlin packing.

I think Tomlin is here through September. They value his leadership and rubber arm. He just can't be used in any game that's not a blowout. If the Braves make the playoffs he'll be left off the roster but still around. Then he'll retire after the season and maybe become a coach in the system somewhere. 

13 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I think Tomlin is here through September. They value his leadership and rubber arm. He just can't be used in any game that's not a blowout. If the Braves make the playoffs he'll be left off the roster but still around. Then he'll retire after the season and maybe become a coach in the system somewhere. 

What good is a rubber arm if he can't stop a game from turning into a blowout like what happened against the Reds? With the way the offense is swinging the bat right now 4 or 5 runs early in the game is nothing for them to overcome. But when it turns into 9 or 10 runs down that pretty much ends any chance at a comeback and that's exactly what Tomlin did against the Reds.

5 minutes ago, dmite said:

We seem to always struggle against the O’s. 

Yep. Orioles have some kind of voodoo on the Braves. Since 2009 the Braves are only 6-10 against the Orioles including only 1-2 against them in both 2018 and 2020. The Braves all time are 22-23 against the Orioles. Makes no sense whatsoever but that's in keeping with the Braves overall struggles against the AL over the years.

11 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Never had a doubt.

Me neither. Right when he was starting to show signs of putting it together in late April against the Cubs and Yankees I got into it with some moron that was saying things like "I don't care how hard Riley is hitting the ball because everything he hits is a grounder. I would start Adrianza at 3B every day and send Riley back to the minors." LOL!! Man, dude eventually went back and deleted his tweets so I couldn't rub it in his face how wrong he was.