Braves at Nationals

For the A

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

You think Snit will ever take Smith out of the closer position?

I doubt it. DOB said after the last game that there was no discussion about it. After this game I doubt there was one either. Snit probably said something like “he really did great to bear down and get out of it and he got a couple strikeouts. I think he’s back on track.”

13 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I doubt it. DOB said after the last game that there was no discussion about it. After this game I doubt there was one either. Snit probably said something like “he really did great to bear down and get out of it and he got a couple strikeouts. I think he’s back on track.”

Yeah that’s what I figured honestly 

3 minutes ago, oztin said:

If he had a full season last year he would be 4 for 4. I don't count 2017 as he only played 54 games.

The thing that makes Ozzie's homeruns really stand out is that his exit velocity is below league average but his launch angle is nearly perfect so despite him not hitting the ball as hard as others he hits them at the perfect angle to produce homeruns. His career exit velocity is only 88.1 mph and league average is 88.3. He is having his best season in that department at 89.5 mph. Just for comparison, Freddie's career exit velocity is 90.4 and he's at 91.7 this year and last year he was at 92.4.

Will Smith since June 21st

19 G, 19 IP, 18 H, 3 HR, 7 R, 7 ER, 6 BB, 17 SO, 3 HBP, 3.32 ERA, 1.26 WHIP

.243/.325/.446 (.771)

Just 4 clean outings. He's allowed multiple baserunners 6 times.

What's particularly concerning about Will Smith right now is that he has had only 1 clean outing out of his last 10 outings.

10 G, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 HR, 4 BB, 8 SO, 2 HBP, 4.50 ERA, 1.30 WHIP

.237/.341/.500 (.841)

The most concerning thing about Will Smith's outing last night was the way he was aiming his pitches. Yes, I know he had 2 strikeouts but if you go back and look at those ABs those weren't particularly good pitches. Those were more just terrible ABs. The first two sliders to Zimmerman were good pitches but the one that got the strikeout was a hanger and Smith was lucky he missed it. Then the strikeout pitch to Escobar was a hanger way up out of the zone that Escobar thankfully chased.

Will Smith seems scared of his fastball right now and when he struggles it's because he refuses to throw his fastball and he gets slider happy and his slider quite frankly isn't a very good pitch if we're being honest. It only works if he's ahead in the count. If you look at when he's good it's when he's pitching off his fastball and getting ahead of the count and then he can get guys to chase that slider out of the zone. It's just frustrating to see a guy who pitches scared sometimes and right now Will Smith is pitching scared.

This is not me hating on the guy. It's well known I don't like the guy but this is also a very real and honest assessment of how he's pitching right now and you're not being honest with yourself if you aren't concerned.

28 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

We both also wanted the Braves to be sellers at the end of July. Thankfully they didn't listen to us.

If they ended up selling then it would have sucked but it would have made sense.... especially what some guys were going for.

But I think that the braves have a sneaky good chance this year if they do make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Snitker confirmed Ynoa will be called up Tuesday. 

RichRod apparently got hit by a line drive last night but is fine today

He did. Defection off his foot/leg and went straight to Riley who got an out at 2nd. Rodriguez was lucky not to get hit twice. He wasn’t fooling anyone. Dansby made an amazing diving catch to end the inning and save the lead. It was the first time Rodriguez looked bad for the Braves.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

He did. Defection off his foot/leg and went straight to Riley who got an out at 2nd. Rodriguez was lucky not to get hit twice. He wasn’t fooling anyone. Dansby made an amazing diving catch to end the inning and save the lead. It was the first time Rodriguez looked bad for the Braves.

Yeah I only looked at the box score. I watched the first inning and went to bed. I noticed he gave up 2 hits and still only threw 12 pitches.