Just a thought I had

21 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

It's overhyping (imo) to claim we didn't upgrade our DLine because our guys are just that good. DLine is still a huge area of weakness in my eyes. There are some dark horses like Marlon and Cominsky who we just haven't seen play, but we're a solid "might surprise," not something I'm already content with.

Again, could be wrong. Would love to be, actually. But I'm not banking on our new scheme turning JTM and Means into beasts.

I never said we couldn't use an upgrade. I said the pass rush was pretty good last year and good enough that the focus this offseason was on the secondary and rightly so. You can only do so much in a single offseason and the Falcons clearly felt like secondary was a much bigger issue than the pass rush which is why they addressed it and left the front 7 untouched. The numbers back that up. I fully trust Fontenot and Smith until they give me a reason not to. They know what they're doing.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I never said we couldn't use an upgrade. I said the pass rush was pretty good last year and good enough that the focus this offseason was on the secondary and rightly so. You can only do so much in a single offseason and the Falcons clearly felt like secondary was a much bigger issue than the pass rush which is why they addressed it and left the front 7 untouched. The numbers back that up. I fully trust Fontenot and Smith until they give me a reason not to. They know what they're doing.

I agree it was a good move given what was available. I've just seen a lot of people getting excited about the passrush and I don't see it. Might have misread your intention. 

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

There's a solid chance that they actually want to see what they have on roster. No one is rushing to sign these 30+ year old veterans at the moment and there will be training camp cuts. They have a plan, it just doesn't match what the fans want

This is exactly the case. See what you have and how much blitzing you actually HAVE to do. Then possibly sign someone that can give a natural pass rush. Realistically, that's no one with Houston signing in Baltimore, so. Lol. 

13 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Yeah exactly. The new coaching staff clearly saw the secondary as a bigger weakness than the pass rush, so they used the limited cap on addressing the secondary.

We were generating some pass rush for sure. No one ever said it was perfect. I'm really interested to see what Pees can do with what we have.

What is there like 15 guys who win on the Edge with in the NFL? And when i say win I mean with athleticism, bend, length, moves and counter moves. 

I'd wager that this group could very well be last in  league in all of the above. 

Just now, ATLskinjob said:

Yeah exactly. The new coaching staff clearly saw the secondary as a bigger weakness than the pass rush, so they used the limited cap on addressing the secondary.

We were generating some pass rush for sure. No one ever said it was perfect. I'm really interested to see what Pees can do with what we have.

True, but I do believe we can spend 4mil on a cut player "if" its someone that can truly help the team and that'll leave us 4.5 mil incase we have a significant injury in the season to bring in a replacement ..so basically that's what I believe,  we'll look for a guy around 4 mil that's willing to sign a one year deal after cuts but it sucks they'll be behind on the playback when they're brought in and for that reason we may not see the full impact of whatever player it may be..but I do trust this administration, TF and AS seems to have the right approach so either way I'm good..may have to wait till next draft to start adding the talent we need..but regardless, I do believe they'll get it done 

2 hours ago, apl2g said:

I wanna see if this makes sense to anyone else…. The Falcons have struggled on the edge for quite some time now. I figured that when the new regime came in, they might address it. They don’t seem to have taken much interest in it. Does anyone think that, that might be coming from higher up than the GM. Does McKay or someone have a philosophy about the D-line? I could be way off base, but I just find it hard to understand why this team hasn’t had a good edge rusher since Abraham. 

It’s simply called TROFFED ….McKay has NOTHING to do with it. It’s not complicated but a good question  

2 hours ago, Lornoth said:

It's overhyping (imo) to claim we didn't upgrade our DLine because our guys are just that good. DLine is still a huge area of weakness in my eyes. There are some dark horses like Marlon and Cominsky who we just haven't seen play, but we're a solid "might surprise," not something I'm already content with.

Again, could be wrong. Would love to be, actually. But I'm not banking on our new scheme turning JTM and Means into beasts.

Who says anyone has to be a beast? That's what fans want. Those coaches want and will need consistent play out of them. Times have changed. 

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

This is exactly the case. See what you have and how much blitzing you actually HAVE to do. Then possibly sign someone that can give a natural pass rush. Realistically, that's no one with Houston signing in Baltimore, so. Lol. 

Exactly. 

4 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Yeah, I believe you are off..the new staff could only do so much this draft with what they had..I can promise you,  this team will perform much different next year and I truly believe we'll begin to get better every season from now..I honestly believe AS and TF did the best with what they had this year..we'll more than likely struggle this season and I think our front office understands that, but it definitely should start getting better next season after the draft and we actually have some cap space 

Justin Houston is available. You could argue we need a corner just as bad. 

4 hours ago, apl2g said:

I wanna see if this makes sense to anyone else…. The Falcons have struggled on the edge for quite some time now. I figured that when the new regime came in, they might address it. They don’t seem to have taken much interest in it. Does anyone think that, that might be coming from higher up than the GM. Does McKay or someone have a philosophy about the D-line? I could be way off base, but I just find it hard to understand why this team hasn’t had a good edge rusher since Abraham. 

I think that they are going to try to get Fowler and Davidson to step up. 

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Justin Houston is available. You could argue we need a corner just as bad. 

He basically signed for about nothing to have a chance at a Lombardi..we could have offered him a little more..but from what I hear he turned down some much bigger deals to have a chance to win a SB

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

We kind of sitting on our hands like when Dimitroff was here LoL. I think if Dean Pees really wanted to sign another player they would go after it.

I feel like we will after initial cuts..should be some good talent available if we act fast..that'll be our last chance before the season starts 

9 hours ago, apl2g said:

Bro McKay won a Chip after he put Sapp, Rice, Booger and Quarles on the Suc’s DLine. The next year he came here and quickly added Abe, Coleman, Grady and Babineaux. If anything he needs to get more involved in building our DLine.

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

You lost me when you suggested McKay might be responsible for not addressing the pass rush, then stated that we haven’t had a real rush since Abraham…who McKay was responsible for making that trade. 🤔

His first year as GM in Tampa, they drafted Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks in the 1st. Both hall of famers. I think he gets it!

GO FALCONS!!!!

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro McKay won a Chip after he put Sapp, Rice, Booger and Quarles on the Suc’s DLine. The next year he came here and quickly added Abe, Coleman, Grady and Babineaux. If anything he needs to get more involved in building our DLine.

Very true 

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Where you been?

Busy as ****. UPS hasn’t died down at all. Still working 50-60 hours a week tired as ****. They don’t care how much they work us and they refuse to get new drivers/cars because that cost money, so we’re understaffed and running out of rental trucks.

2 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Busy as ****. UPS hasn’t died down at all. Still working 50-60 hours a week tired as ****. They don’t care how much they work us and they refuse to get new drivers/cars because that cost money, so we’re understaffed and running out of rental trucks.

Same story with FedEx over here. Man, y’all don’t have AC though, right?

There is reason for excitement about our defense, including the line.  We are working on a revamped defensive backfield.  If successful, they will make the line more effective.  Included in this backfield are the OLBs.  Mykal Walker is having a good camp according to reports and has bulked up 20 pounds to 240 over the off-season.  We added Brandon Copeland who is at 260.  Tuioti-Mariner flashed some last season but did not get a lot of playing time.  Ogundeji has impressed in TC.  I am looking for Pees to run 3-4 more than 4-3.  But, he will mix this up. 

A.J. Terrel will be solid at corner.  A few of our new corners played well in Saturday's practice.  We do not know what we have yet, but I like the coaching I have seen.  I have some hope this group will be improved compared to 2020.

The DL itself was not very effective in 2020.  There has been maybe 10 seasons since the inception of the NFL where 4 DLmen can line up and just bull rush the OL and win.  That is a rare thing.  Don't evaluate this DL based on what they were asked to do last season.  If you want to do that, then Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage, and Hayden Hurst are crappy players.  Or, you can take an enlightened perspective and see that our players were not in situations where they could succeed.

Don't forget we had 2 high profile defenders at the beginning of the season who did not want to play.  If you doubt that, Look at what has happened with Beasley and McKinley since they left the Falcons.

Let these guys get prepared for the season and then, let's see what we have.   I think our defense will be top 16 and our offense will be top 12.  If reports on our RB squad are true, the offense could be top 10.

There are a lot of processes in the works.  Yet, some on here are complaining about the end result.  Let's get to the end and see what we have.  You don't evaluate your players when they are being coached up.  There will be time enough for complaining, when pre-season is done. 

Edited by NorthGaBoy