Terry Fontenot: Matt Ryan is The Right Leader of This Team.

As the Falcons begin the 2021 season, they’re kind of tweeners when it comes to being competitive.

They have a new General Manager and a new coach. They just traded one of the faces of the franchise. They’ve had three consecutive losing seasons, bottoming out at 4-12 last year. But they also still have a franchise quarterback — one they’re tied to contractually and financially for likely at least the next two seasons.

Matt Ryan hasn’t really been the problem for Atlanta, and should still have good years left at the age of 36. But more than how he’s capable of performing, G.M. Terry Fontenot feels like Ryan is still the right man to be the Falcons’ QB1.

“On the outside, you just have the game tape,” Fontenot told Scott Bair of the Falcons’ website. “Being inside the building, you also see the practice tape and the human element. Being around Matt, you see who he is as the leader, the worker, where his mindset is and how he feels he has a chip on his shoulder and that he has something to prove. Knowing not just that he has the physical talent to do it, but that he has the right mindset to be the same leader of men. That passion you see on the sidelines — when you’re in the building with him you see it 24/7. It doesn’t stop. It really doesn’t stop.

“The film evaluation, whether it’s in a game or in practice, shows where he is. So does the mindset, the passion, the intensity that makes him the man that he is. It checks all the boxes. He’s the right leader of this team.”

Fontenot has maintained that Atlanta won’t be shy about looking for options at quarterback, knowing that Ryan is likely on the back nine of his career. He reiterated that stance, but with the caveat that the Falcons’ current quarterback is still capable of playing at a high level.

“We like our quarterback room, but we’re always going to be looking,” Fontenot said. “Whether it’s this year or next year, in the draft or through trades, we’re always going to be looking to bring in quarterbacks. That doesn’t change at all. Just because you don’t take one in the first round doesn’t mean you can’t find the right future guy.

“But, with all that being said, we hope that future is way down the road. If you’re talking to Matt, he’s going to say, ‘Slow down. I’ve got lots of time left.'”

Ryan led the league in passing attempts and completions in 2020. He threw for 4,581 yards with 26 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

Hes not going to say anything bad. 🤣 but i believe when he says he is always looking.

There's miles upon miles of difference between not saying anything bad and saying this though.

On the outside, you just have the game tape,” Fontenot told Scott Bair of the Falcons’ website. “Being inside the building, you also see the practice tape and the human element. Being around Matt, you see who he is as the leader, the worker, where his mindset is and how he feels he has a chip on his shoulder and that he has something to prove. Knowing not just that he has the physical talent to do it, but that he has the right mindset to be the same leader of men. That passion you see on the sidelines — when you’re in the building with him you see it 24/7. It doesn’t stop. It really doesn’t stop.

“The film evaluation, whether it’s in a game or in practice, shows where he is. So does the mindset, the passion, the intensity that makes him the man that he is. It checks all the boxes. He’s the right leader of this team.

8 hours ago, Southern California Liar said:

There's miles upon miles of difference between not saying anything bad and saying this though.

On the outside, you just have the game tape,” Fontenot told Scott Bair of the Falcons’ website. “Being inside the building, you also see the practice tape and the human element. Being around Matt, you see who he is as the leader, the worker, where his mindset is and how he feels he has a chip on his shoulder and that he has something to prove. Knowing not just that he has the physical talent to do it, but that he has the right mindset to be the same leader of men. That passion you see on the sidelines — when you’re in the building with him you see it 24/7. It doesn’t stop. It really doesn’t stop.

“The film evaluation, whether it’s in a game or in practice, shows where he is. So does the mindset, the passion, the intensity that makes him the man that he is. It checks all the boxes. He’s the right leader of this team.

Yep. Folks hear what they want to hear tho.

10 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Matt Ryan should be a Falcon for life

That saying needs to go away. We need to get rid of everyone when their play declines, not continue to pay them outrageous sums year after year for past performance. MR2 is still worth it, but the time is drawing near when we will need to find a better quarterback if we want to win.

4 hours ago, Dirtier Bird said:

That saying needs to go away. We need to get rid of everyone when their play declines, not continue to pay them outrageous sums year after year for past performance. MR2 is still worth it, but the time is drawing near when we will need to find a better quarterback if we want to win.

No. As long as he’s alive he is the right leader of this team. 

26 minutes ago, insight said:

Ryan reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck, both Boston College products with very similar style of play and  pro careers. 

image.thumb.png.d78b9952eb6c9d66917bbd45825fd799.pngimage.thumb.png.9ba8a6e1187cfac88185bcc645c61032.png

I am not sure we have watched the same QB then. These are Hasselback's career numbers. No MVP, not a true difference maker. He was a good QB, and never in the discussion for the Hall. 

33 minutes ago, insight said:

Ryan reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck, both Boston College products with very similar style of play and  pro careers. 

Um...what? Are you insane? They are only 20,000 yards and 135 TDs apart. And Ryan has played 4 less games.

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=RyanMa00&player_id1=HassMa00&sum=0&request=1

1 hour ago, JDFIII said:

image.thumb.png.9e21a76327923e48009cf9b14672ff24.pngimage.thumb.png.4e09aa1c9eee3ec160d40b2cb2db1f49.png

These are Matt Ryan's numbers in 4 less games. MVP, Difference maker, and firmly in the discussion for the Hall. For some reason, comp % didn't come for Matt Ryan, so it is - 65.4% for reference.

They played in two different era's I have watched both of their entire careers, IMO they are very similar.  Both very cerebral players, played the game the same way.  We can agree to disagree,  but the main difference between the two is Matts MVP season. 

1 hour ago, Duff_Man said:

Um...what? Are you insane? They are only 20,000 yards and 135 TDs apart. And Ryan has played 4 less games.

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=RyanMa00&player_id1=HassMa00&sum=0&request=1

Like I said, they played in different era's but they have very similar skill sets.  Just like Patrick Mahomes reminds me of Aaron Rodgers, but if Mahomes stays healthy his numbers will eventually eclipse Aaron. 

5 hours ago, insight said:

Tell me you don't know 💩 about football without telling me you don't know 💩 about football.

insight my 🍑 lmao what an awful take

2 hours ago, athell said:

Tell me you don't know 💩 about football without telling me you don't know 💩 about football.

insight my 🍑 lmao what an awful take

Yeah, instead of making valid points to support you argurement you throw out hot takes and insults.   Matt has stronger passing statistics but outside of that they playing style and leadership skills are similar. Did you actually WATCH Hasslebeck play?