Punters

Just read the below article:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/training-camp-preview-punter-sterling-hofrichter-facing-competition?fbclid=IwAR3QWy5SToz6DOMNmBdTqaoAPBSdXiGSxqmdkSFr1aMap3tw0DE5qEr8RdM

Tbh, I hadn’t realised our punting had been as poor as it was. Think there was so much going wrong last season that below average punting was the least of our worries.

Think it’s a case of a rookie playing it safe, and just getting the kicks off? (I Imagine bosher taking that extra step and all those blocked punts probably led to Quinn putting emphasis on getting the kick away) 

Just interested as haven’t really considered the punting situation but being dead bottom In the league in averages hurts field position.

6 hours ago, 408Falcon said:

Punting was atrocious last season. I'll give Hof the benefit of the doubt as a rookie, but he was god awful. 

6 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

An adjustment period is usually to be expected.

It’s extremely rare for a rookie kicker to be average or better. 

Competition is always a good thing, but I see Hof improving a lot just because he is not a rookie and is getting the full benefits of training camp.

41 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Should sign Marquette King to a vet min one year deal tomorrow. He'd be a top 5 punter this year.

I actually watched a YouTube video on him today and why he is out of the league. Lol 

He was not a team player. He was taking pictures with Aqib Talib with jokes of him snatching his own teammates  chain. Cordarrelle Patterson has even came out and said the team just didn't like him. So ill pass on a punter that will do that to the locker room.

3 minutes ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

I actually watched a YouTube video on him today and why he is out of the league. Lol 

He was not a team player. He was taking pictures with Aqib Talib with jokes of him snatching his own teammates  chain. Cordarrelle Patterson has even came out and said the team just didn't like him. So ill pass on a punter that will do that to the locker room.

He seemed to have matured in the XFL. Humility has a way of doing that. Dude still has all pro distance, hang time, and control. Not to mention he's good for a conversion or two on 4th down.

7 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

He seemed to have matured in the XFL. Humility has a way of doing that. Dude still has all pro distance, hang time, and control. Not to mention he's good for a conversion or two on 4th down.

I agree he would be a top notch punter. I will also say sometimes a cheap risk can pay off. Heck I think he is still what 30?

1 hour ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

Went and found that video after you mentioned it. I had no idea dude used to be a wr. That explains A LOT. Really cool story. I like the dude even more now.

I hope Maggio tears it up, and takes Hof's job. 101 kicks inside the 20. That's not bad and watching his highlights, his bounce has a nice sideways trajectory or he can can boom it. Looks like most of his kicks are 50+ yards from LOS back to ground with some over 60.

Looks like he is pretty good at punching it out of bounds inside the 10 if he's kicking from anywhere near midfield.

13 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Went and found that video after you mentioned it. I had no idea dude used to be a wr. That explains A LOT. Really cool story. I like the dude even more now.

Yea I was kind of shocked when they said he was. He has a awesome back story and I would be pulling for him if he got a chance. It was just the poking fun at your own teammate. All I could do is think about if he did that with a falcons teammate with a Aints player!

4 hours ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

Yea I was kind of shocked when they said he was. He has a awesome back story and I would be pulling for him if he got a chance. It was just the poking fun at your own teammate. All I could do is think about if he did that with a falcons teammate with a Aints player!

Yeah that would be ugly