Should we have drafted kyle Trask

17 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

In hindsight perspective it would have required trading up using the 3rd round pick and a late round. I wouldn't have been upset if it happened. I can't imagine how upset this fanbase would have been to know the QB of the future is also a statue. We all know QB's need to run a 4.3 to succeed just ask Tom Brady. 

Yeah cause every QB in the NFL has the luxury of Tom Brady.  You know, the guy who the NFL caters around and the refs do anything they can to help him out.  Patrick Mahomes won his super bowl, and you guys want to make it about a scrambling qb vs a non scrambling qb?  You just need a QB who knows how to win and make the big plays when needed. 

31 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Trask is much better than Franks

now carry on…

Franks could not succeed with Dan Mullen as his OC and HC in a very friendly system to QBs - Kyle Trask actually beat out Franks and so Franks left the program.   The comparison doesn't get much easier than this.

Franks has size and talent but he hasn't shown the ability to achieve at even the highest college level - so expecting him to do so in the NFL is a stretch.

21 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Trask and Pitts definitely had a connection in Florida..I've watched alot of film on Pitts and you can't deny they seemed to always understand what each other had in mind even on busted plays..nothing guarantees Ryan and Pitts will have that same connection,  maybe they will..but instead of signing AJ just drafting Trask may not have been a bad decision to at least have that connection on the team..idk

Let me see if I understand this, you absolutely hate on Matt Ryan and can't stand him because "he's a statue" blah, blah, blah and you've got to have a mobile QB to win now days but then you turn around and make a thread advocating for a guy who's less mobile than Ryan? Is that correct?

6 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Let me see if I understand this, you absolutely hate on Matt Ryan and can't stand him because "he's a statue" blah, blah, blah and you've got to have a mobile QB to win now days but then you turn around and make a thread advocating for a guy who's less mobile than Ryan? Is that correct?

Trask has a stronger arm than Ryan imo..but I don't hate Ryan, he's actually my favorite qb..I just believe our team needs a different qb at this point for our future. Saying that, if our oc uses Pitts correctly Ryan and our team can be really good this season..just don't want to see Pitts running any routes over 30 yards..just dosnt make sense with Ryans parameters imo

15 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

All his haters are going to spend the same narrative thats why they were pounding the table for Fields. 

6 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Trask has a stronger arm than Ryan imo..but I don't hate Ryan, he's actually my favorite qb..I just believe our team needs a different qb at this point for our future. Saying that, if our oc uses Pitts correctly Ryan and our team can be really good this season..just don't want to see Pitts running any routes over 30 yards..just dosnt make sense with Ryans parameters imo

Its not. Nothing wrong with Ryans arm. 

13 hours ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

I said a while back that when it’s all said and done, Franks will be a top 5 QB coming out of this class. He landed in the perfect situation. He will ball!!! 

Yeah I thought Trask could be an interesting backup/clipboard guy cause of the Pitts connection... but getting Franks for free is way better. I think Franks has a much higher ceiling. 

15 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

I really wish I could understand what it is that makes you think Matt Ryan has such a weak arm and he must absolutely at all costs be contained to any throw less than 30 yards down field. I just don't get it. I watch the games. I watch the video. I see Ryan routinely make throws that you and others on this message board swear up and down that he can't make and I'm flabbergasted that anyone would think "Matt Ryan has such a weak arm, we really need to keep his attempts to less than 30 yards down field."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSirjCbbP1c

15 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Yeah I thought Trask could be an interesting backup/clipboard guy cause of the Pitts connection... but getting Franks for free is way better. I think Franks has a much higher ceiling. 

The potential is there.  

15 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Based on what exactly?  His ranking out of high school?

Oh come on GD... I'm not an idiot. 

I'm simply looking at measureables and intangibles (as well as this great breakdown of the two I read, I'll post if I find). 

Trask will be no better than AJ McCarron IMO... he will be a perennial backup. Franks has the size and isn't a statue. They both need coaching. 

Reality is neither one will likely end up doing much... but Trask took a team's 3rd and Franks was free. 

10 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Oh come on GD... I'm not an idiot. 

I'm simply looking at measureables and intangibles (as well as this great breakdown of the two I read, I'll post if I find). 

Trask will be no better than AJ McCarron IMO... he will be a perennial backup. Franks has the size and isn't a statue. They both need coaching. 

Reality is neither one will likely end up doing much... but Trask took a team's 3rd and Franks was free. 

Intangibles?  LOL.   What intangibles is it that you believe he possesses?   We are talking about Felipe' Franks, right? :D  :D 

Franks has no intangibles - that's why he was such a colossal bust in college.   He's not smart.

I'd have been fine with Trask, but I don't see him so much as a starter as a backup with potential to step up.  He might be a fine starter, but I think that's expecting too much.

Put it this way, I don't think he'll be a better pro than Richie Grant.  And while I'm not sure about Mayfield, if he won't be a better pro than him either, then we made the right picks.  We'd have had to use the pick we used on Mayfield to take him (and miss on Mayfield), or trade that pick and another late rounder to move up to get Trask if we wanted him.

EDIT: either that or take him at 2, which IMHO is a laughable proposition.  Richie Grant has All Pro upside.  He was the best safety in the draft.  Whether he lives up to that or not remains to be seen, but nobody is even arguing that Trask was the best QB in the draft.  So you take the better player 10 times out of 10.  We already have a QB.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'd have been fine with Trask, but I don't see him so much as a starter as a backup with potential to step up.  He might be a fine starter, but I think that's expecting too much.

Put it this way, I don't think he'll be a better pro than Richie Grant.  And while I'm not sure about Mayfield, if he won't be a better pro than him either, then we made the right picks.  We'd have had to use the pick we used on Mayfield and another late rounder to move up to get Trask if we wanted him.

yeah I wasn't clamoring for Trask - had he made it to Falcons 3rd round pick I could have been tempted then as Mayfield seems like a 50/50 type of player and if you are going to draft a 50/50, might as well take Trask

Just taking exception to this Franks as good as Trask BS - that's just not likely to be true based on brain, body of work, production and intangibles.

Just now, g-dawg said:

yeah I wasn't clamoring for Trask - had he made it to Falcons 3rd round pick I could have been tempted then as Mayfield seems like a 50/50 type of player and if you are going to draft a 50/50, might as well take Trask

Just taking exception to this Franks as good as Trask BS - that's just not likely to be true based on brain, body of work, production and intangibles.

Oh, I agree -- Trask is a much better prospect.  Franks may have "more upside," but in my view, that's really all he has.  Unrealized potential is worthless on an NFL team.

I also agree about Mayfield.  Had Trask fallen, we might have taken him there, who knows?  It's Trask over Grant that I think would have been the hugest of blunders.  That's a Dimitroff move.  "We knew going in we wanted a QB in the middle rounds....."  Meanwhile potentially great players go after your pick, and you're left 3-5 years down the road wondering why the guy you took can't play.

Of course, Dimitroff is on record saying he'd have gone QB at 4.  Which is a funny thing to say before you even know which QBs will be available at 4.  So basically, unless Mac Jones or Justin Fields turns into the next great thing, Dimitroff will simply have proven my point.

Not that either of them can't mind you.  But they'll forever be compared with Kyle Pitts, and that's a tall order for any QB, much less the 4th and 5th QBs taken off the board.  This is a point Coach Smith made in his interview with Collinsworth.  He noted that in 2008, we took the QB at 3, but we also had our pick of literally every QB in the draft at 3.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Oh, I agree -- Trask is a much better prospect.  Franks may have "more upside," but in my view, that's really all he has.  Unrealized potential is worthless on an NFL team.

I also agree about Mayfield.  Had Trask fallen, we might have taken him there, who knows?  It's Trask over Grant that I think would have been the hugest of blunders.  That's a Dimitroff move.  "We knew going in we wanted a QB in the middle rounds....."  Meanwhile potentially great players go after your pick, and you're left 3-5 years down the road wondering why the guy you took can't play.

yeah,  I'm really excited about the Richie Grant pick - liked it so much I would have taken him at the original pick even over Javonte Williams.   Williams could likely have a great first 3-4 years in the league but RBs have such a short shelf life.    Grant will develop slower most likely but could be a 10 year force on this team.