Jump to content

Why the Falcons might actually be better off without Wholio.


Recommended Posts

Man, I'm going to love Julio forever. I don't have a problem with him realizing that after 10 years, there's little reason to believe anything in Atlanta will change. I'm past missing him, though because he's a former Falcons player and I'll put more energy into focusing on the guys we have.

I'll just say that Julio wasn't a diva. By all accounts, he worked with younger receivers on their games and I believe he was a regular participant at MR2's offseason workouts. He made the team better on and off the field.

WIth that being said, I have a suspicion he's going to be at every single practice in Nashville this season and that sucks maximum booty. Don't get me wrong: I don't believe he would have done better than being almost GOAT (how could he?), but it's galling that he'll have a fresh approach elsewhere to what he had with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Yeah I’m down I think that would be awesome 

Especially if Pitts caught the game winning touchdown. Or better yet, if we used a copy of Coaching For Dummies and ran the ball when we needed to in order to put the game out of reach.

Either of those would be awesome for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PointSwayzee said:

Never heard Julio was one of the sides, not once and would LOVE to see that link. Never really heard of a divided locker room either. The team stuck with that piece of **** Quinn, probably because it was club med with slogans.

 

Yeah its complete nonsense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll just say this.

 

We all watch the games every week. We have all seen the epic collapses and watched a team not play to the level that its capable of. We've all been incredibly annoyed watching this team shrink into mediocrity over the last couple of years. A lot of us come to this forum to vent our frustrations and talk about how agitated we get just by watching this team.

 

Take all of those feeling that you have felt since the Super Bowl collapse into account. Now Imagine you are Julio Jones.

As frustrated as I have felt over the last 3 years, by simply watching the games, I cant imagine the level of frustration a player of his caliber has felt.

Edited by Snafu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I've never heard any credible source for him being a diva. 

I don't care what anyone has or hasn't heard.  The guy just stopped working hard.  He never practiced, then during games walked off the field 15 times per game.  Why?

It was obvious to anyone with at least one eyeball and half a brain that he was dogging.  He was done trying and that's just wrong at this level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I've never heard any credible source for him being a diva. I thank him for his service and wish him the best.

I hate folks trying to take shots at folks who laid it all out, on the way out of the door! 

The only bad thing you can say about him, is the way it got out to the fans. (And that really wasn’t all that bad) 

TBH, it was probably the best for both parties. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Man, I'm going to love Julio forever. I don't have a problem with him realizing that after 10 years, there's little reason to believe anything in Atlanta will change. I'm past missing him, though because he's a former Falcons player and I'll put more energy into focusing on the guys we have.

I'll just say that Julio wasn't a diva. By all accounts, he worked with younger receivers on their games and I believe he was a regular participant at MR2's offseason workouts. He made the team better on and off the field.

WIth that being said, I have a suspicion he's going to be at every single practice in Nashville this season and that sucks maximum booty. Don't get me wrong: I don't believe he would have done better than being almost GOAT (how could he?), but it's galling that he'll have a fresh approach elsewhere to what he had with us.

That's one of my points. He didn't work all off-season with us. Maybe that's one major reason why our offense was out of sync. Our offense had so much talent it should have been good even with Koetter and sark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

I don't care what anyone has or hasn't heard.  The guy just stopped working hard.  He never practiced, then during games walked off the field 15 times per game.  Why?

It was obvious to anyone with at least one eyeball and half a brain that he was dogging.  He was done trying and that's just wrong at this level.

And WHILE eating up a ton of cap. The way we changed offensive coordinators we needed him in practice to keep up with the scheme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I've never heard any credible source for him being a diva. I thank him for his service and wish him the best.

Agreed, it is what it is and it's over now.  Wish him the best, he's the best Falcons receiver of all time. 

That said, I'll never forgive him for being the cause of the first and last time I'll ever high five a man in the restroom....in my defense, how could I have known we'd score so fast to start the second half of the NFCCG?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

That's one of my points. He didn't work all off-season with us. Maybe that's one major reason why our offense was out of sync. Our offense had so much talent it should have been good even with Koetter and sark.

Nah you can't blame Julio for DQ forcing Sark to run someone else's offense, and you **** sure can't blame Julio for DQ hiring Dirk. In fact, as soon as we hired Dirk I knew last season was going to be completely trash. I'm, almost amazed at how dumb a coach could be to circle back and hire Dirk when there were so many BETTER options available. Man talk about dropping the ball. Likewise, can't blame Julio for being ALLOWED to say when he wants to check in to and out of a game. That's ALL on coaching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, Julio was always a great teammate, and the only reason he wanted to get traded was to get a new deal. Julio wants to be paid top WR money (that has always been his MO), and he wasn’t going to get that in Atlanta with contract adjustments and an expiring contract; Julio’s days of getting big contracts with the Falcons are done because time is no longer on his side, and the Falcons don’t have the cap space. So, Julio made a smart business decision to get out of Atlanta while his status as a top playmaker is still intact,to  pursue more money as he should. By going to another team and playing well, Julio may get a new extension with more guaranteed money, and he may even get an additional 1 year deal from another team before he has to call it a day. Yes, Julio wants to win, but Julio wants to get paid as much as he can while he can still get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

And WHILE eating up a ton of cap. The way we changed offensive coordinators we needed him in practice to keep up with the scheme.

Bro there was no scheme 🤣. Go beat the man in front of you thats it. Basically running into a brick wall continually. Plus no run gm.

Edited by red falcon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As stated before, I was as frustrated as anyone that Julio treated practice like it was optional. But with that being said, he maintained the highest per game yardage total in history by a lot. A whole lot. Suggesting he was dogging it is too much for me to accept. If he had practiced more often, would he have averaged 100 yards per game? Or 110? Probably not: how much better than the best could he have been? IMO, he was about as good as he was going to get for yards and catches.

With that being said, his timing with Ryan might have been better and there we undoubtedly situations where it showed up in games. And practice could have helped in those situations. The final play in the playoffs against the Iggles comes to mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

It sounds like #11 was a disgruntled employee behind the scenes while eating up a ton of cap. I would not be surprised if that has something to do with why the team appeared to be divided at times. 

Maybe the team morale will be a lot better this year. It always felt like there was something going on behind the scenes the last 2 years. I assumed it was because of Vic Beasley and Takk McKinley not pulling their weight but it sounds like #11 may have been a part of the problem. 

Hopefully in 2021 the team comes out focused and full of positive energy.

You just had to be that guy, didn't you?

And we were doing so well...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why are fans so bitter. He is an all-time great NFL player and is one of the best to ever lace up the cleats in a Falcons jersey. Let it go, He is gone. Just because he wanted out does not change how good of a player he was for us for a decade. Stop trying to sour his time in Atlanta and move on with the guys we have.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 6:20 PM, Slumerican said:

I believe Julio wanted to run and catch the ball..not run backwards chasing a duck..so I'm sure he has his reasons for leaving

Maybe if he came to practice he wouldn't have been doing that. 

 

Somehow all our other WRs that Matt makes look like Pro-Bowlers can... oh... it's cause they showed up to practice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 7:24 AM, kschreck said:That said, I'll never forgive him for being the cause of the first and last time I'll ever high five a man in the restroom....in my defense, how could I have known we'd score so fast to start the second half of the NFCCG?

OMG, I missed that play in the restroom as well lol. Still my favorite falcon game ever.

i think Julio wanted a stronger armed QB to take advantage of his speed more. I think it’s been obvious he’s frustrated. He’s not a Diva. He’s still a pro and played and prepared that way. But he is human and that showed.

That being said, my wife thinks it’s been a divisive thing for YEARS in the way he is treated special with leaving the field, skipping practice, etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, since68andcounting said:

OMG, I missed that play in the restroom as well lol. Still my favorite falcon game ever.

i think Julio wanted a stronger armed QB to take advantage of his speed more. I think it’s been obvious he’s frustrated. He’s not a Diva. He’s still a pro and played and prepared that way. But he is human and that showed.

That being said, my wife thinks it’s been a divisive thing for YEARS in the way he is treated special with leaving the field, skipping practice, etc

I get the strong armed QB point but I also think an oline that can support such plays developing is something we've been lacking as well. All that to say I put some of that on Matt's limitations but just as much on our failure to deploy a respectable o-line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...