Team USA Olympic Basketball

blkbigdog35

Sounds a lot like LP: Colangelo on not picking Trae to replace Beal:

I'm happy that he wants to play for USA Basketball," Colangelo said. "He's done really well in the NBA. But predicated on what we felt we needed, he didn't fit the bill this time around. He's a young player, he has a future with USA Basketball but it was the opinion of our staff that it wasn't now. It's for others to make the declaration you made a mistake'."

11 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Sounds a lot like LP: Colangelo on not picking Trae to replace Beal:

I'm happy that he wants to play for USA Basketball," Colangelo said. "He's done really well in the NBA. But predicated on what we felt we needed, he didn't fit the bill this time around. He's a young player, he has a future with USA Basketball but it was the opinion of our staff that it wasn't now. It's for others to make the declaration you made a mistake'."

This really pisses me off. If I was Trae, I would tell them to get f****d when they come calling unless those two geriatric a****les are gone or stroked out. 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:51 AM, blkbigdog35 said:

Don’t really think it’s a matter of them catching up but you want to have the best players competing like you had in the old days and a coach who is flexible.  

No, the rest of the world is definitely catching up. Your last two MVPs came from outside the US and Giannis is now a champion with one of the best resumes for a player his age. 

Gone are the days when the best players all came from the US, so they aren't going to dominate like they used to.

That said, I question the thought process that went into leaving Trae off the squad. "He isn't ready" just seems like a cop-out--you're talking about a chance to represent your country in an international event that carries as much weight as a NBA championship. Trae looked plenty ready when he was dismantling the competition in the playoffs before injury set in.

In any case, when the US stops winning gold all the time, people will start taking this more seriously.

We also cannot forget that Olympics play by FIBA rules and not NBA rules. NBA rules coddle star players and it is very difficult to play tough defense against. I think that is one of the reasons the NBA is starting to pull back on foul baiting. They realize it will be bad for the NBA and Team USA long term if all our guys are used to getting weak calls.  

That was one of the things that screwed us up early. You could see guys expecting calls and not getting them. I think the gap in talent closing plus the benefit of their guys being used to FIBA rules compared to ours could lead to our downfall in the future.