Why didn't the Falcons extend Grady Jarrett?

Twitter Version: I just think they feel "now" is a little too uncertain to justify restructuring and extending Jarrett, even if it does add some 2021 cap money and lock up a talented player. I honestly think they want to see how good (or bad) things go this season and then make a long term decision on Jarrett.

----------------------------------

More detail: Same reason they hated feeling forced to kick the money can down the road on Ryan one more time. It's bad long term business if there is any possible way to avoid it on very large contracts unless your sitting on caps space for the duration of the extension. I'm sure they will delay that as long as possible.

As far as it allowing them to sign another player now, you can also look at it as preventing them from signing another player in future years. Where the Falcons are now, I think future cap money may be more important to them than 2021 cap space. I think they have demonstrated they're willing to give winning now the best possible shot with the guys they can afford now. However, they are not so committed to winning now that they are prepared to jeopardize winning the next few season when they will have more knowledge about the chemistry between FO, coaches, and the roster...not to mention a potentially stronger cap situation.

4 hours ago, Day1 said:

I heard that Greg the hammer valentine is his dad. I mean some guy named hammer. Or maybe it was the hammer God thor. I know it is Jesse toggle. Don't lose our best defensive player.  I will quit watching. 

Tuggle stayed loyal to the Falcons hopefully Grady will as well

9 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Yep there’s a reason why he hasn’t been extended. May have something to do with those type of BAD decisions made in the past.

Grady is a really good player but something fishy is going on. I feel a future trade could bring more value at this point in his career. We missed that with JJ

🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Yep there’s a reason why he hasn’t been extended. May have something to do with those type of BAD decisions made in the past.

Grady is a really good player but something fishy is going on. I feel a future trade could bring more value at this point in his career. We missed that with JJ

Trench guys can typically play at a high level past 30. Skill players... not as much, unless it's a QB. 

Honestly this was one of my biggest questions because we could have kept Julio and restructured Grady contract to sign the draft class. It makes me question how the new organization views Grady. 

Another prospective is it has always been tough to get quality free agents to come to Atlanta and I know TF wants to change that. We will have a great roster in the next few years. Especially if Franks develops in a quality QB. We can pay him pennies and build a massive team around him.

Because they didn't have to. And they want to see how he plays this year before making a decision. That's why I love our new Coaches.. They are to smart to do that right now. Wait and see how things go this year first. Then at the end of this coming season  and after the draft, They will know much more then than now.  It's called being Smart. That's what I love about the new coaches.  Wisdom has arrived , And Wisdom can bring a winning team.

3 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Because they didn't have to. And they want to see how he plays this year before making a decision. That's why I love our new Coaches.. They are to smart to do that right now. Wait and see how things go this year first. Then at the end of this coming season  and after the draft, They will know much more then than now.  It's called being Smart. That's what I love about the new coaches.  Wisdom has arrived , And Wisdom can bring a winning team.

Huh? How does a player and his agent not wanting to sign an extension make the new coach and GM smart exactly?

On 7/25/2021 at 9:59 PM, Atl Falcon said:

Roger that, and I believe by NOT extending, the wiggle room with another team during a trade with negotiations FOR the extension would be much more palatable.

Cant take that kind of leverage off table. 

36 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Huh? How does a player and his agent not wanting to sign an extension make the new coach and GM smart exactly?

Where has anyone posted proof that Grady doesn't want to sign an extension?