Has there ever been a sports organization like the Atlanta Falcons that appeared to be cursed for many years but they finally broke the curse and won a championship?

This narrative is overblown, there are other teams on the league that have been heartbroken just as much if not more. There are other teams I other sports that have choked even worse than the falcons have. We just have one embarrassing SB loss and UGA gets out coached by Saban as usual and it’s blown up to this. 

What a makes cursed? Bills lost 4 Super Bowls in a row, Vikings, Bengals, and Chargers constantly botch games. The saints lose in the playoffs in hilarious fashion constantly. England choked the euros in penalty kicks, warriors lost 3-1, Conor McGregor continues getting beat up. Teams like the Browns sucked for as long as some of us have been alive if not longer. Any fan base that isn‚Äôt accustomed to winning championships can likely make a case for being ‚Äúcursed‚ÄĚ

19 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The closest I can think of in the NFL would be the Chiefs and the Eagles who won a championship after having many let downs in the playoffs after earning the number one seed but their let downs were not as catastrophic as ours IMO.

The Chiefs won Superbowl 4¬†ūüėā

I mean you gotta admit there have been some really freaky things happen to this franchise. Most have been self-induced. But the biggest thing is that we've constantly been the victim of some really bad decisions with terrible timing.

• We fired the most successful coach in franchise history after 1983 because¬†cause we'd reached a "plateau". It took us years¬†to get back to that plateau.
  • We traded away a sure HOF QB with a once in a generation arm¬†because it appeared he wasn't mature enough for the NFL. He matured perfectly well after that.
  • We let the most talented player ever to don a Falcons uniform go to our¬†hated division rival¬†because we didn't want to open our pocketbook.
  • An experienced team leader goes soliciting sex the night before the most important game in franchise history, from a woman who just happened to be an undercover cop, and our QB and best CB are up till 3:30AM bailing him out.
  • We fired our head coach¬†because our QB got injured, and there was no suitable "backup", like there ever could be for a once in a generation talent. In the process, we lost the key experienced father figure that could have possibly kept said QB on the proper path, and replaced him with a "player's coach" that put in a complex¬†offense that the QB was not prepared or willing to learn.
  • We have changed our offensive philosophy back and forth from "smashmouth run the ball/play action deep" to "pass to enable the run" multiple times, requiring a complete re-tooling of our OL almost every time because the size/mobility requirements for both¬†offensive styles are generally not available¬†in any offensive lineman not picked in the top 10.
  • Super Bowl 51 - what can I say? There's a whole list of shoulda/coulda's in a single quarter of this game:¬† The 3 consecutive defensive holding calls on 3rd down that were never shown on replay, the "almost TD" when the ball was stripped from our QB as he had a wide open receiver down the middle, The miraculous opponent's¬†catch off our player's leg, the tipped almost INT by our DE, the brain fart by everyone from our QB to our OC to our HC when we could've run the ball 3 times, kicked,¬†and won the game.

The best example I can give of an NFL team completely changing who they were is the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers started playing in 1933 and didn't win a playoff game until 1972. Think about how many years that is. They went 38 years before they finally won a playoff game. In the 38 years from 1933-1971 they only made the playoffs once (1947) and only posted 6 winning seasons. The Steelers overall record from 1933-1971 was 168-270-18. That's a .388 winning percentage.

I really wish people would stop acting like the Falcons are cursed and can never turn it around. The Steelers are living proof that a franchise turn around can happen.

50 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The best example I can give of an NFL team completely changing who they were is the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers started playing in 1933 and didn't win a playoff game until 1972. Think about how many years that is. They went 38 years before they finally won a playoff game. In the 38 years from 1933-1971 they only made the playoffs once (1947) and only posted 6 winning seasons. The Steelers overall record from 1933-1971 was 168-270-18. That's a .388 winning percentage.

I really wish people would stop acting like the Falcons are cursed and can never turn it around. The Steelers are living proof that a franchise turn around can happen.

Amazing thing is the Falcons could have been the Steelers. They had just as many chances to build the steel curtain defense but drafted poorly.

I found this .

Mayo GAAEdit

The Curse of '51 allegedly prevents¬†Mayo¬†from winning the¬†Sam Maguire Cup¬†ever again, or at least until the death has occurred of every member of the last winning team from¬†1951. It remains unbroken‚ÄĒdespite the team reaching the final on ten[76]¬†occasions since then, they have either completely collapsed on the day or been undone by a series of other unfortunate events.[77]

The legend tells us that while the boisterous Mayo team were passing through Foxford on the victorious journey home, the team failed to wait quietly for a funeral cortège to pass by on its way to the graveyard. The presiding priest consequently put a curse on Mayo football to never win a subsequent All-Ireland Final until all members of the 1951 team are dead.[78]

In 1989, Mayo reached their first All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final since their last victory in 1951 only to lose to Cork. In 1996, a freak point by Meath at the end of the final forced a replay, which saw Mayo concede another late score that would deny them victory. Kerry bridged an 11-year title gap against them in 1997 with a three-point win, before torturing them by eight points in 2004 and thirteen points in 2006

Mayo returned to the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final in¬†2012. Even with¬†Taoiseach¬†Enda Kenny¬†in Rome seeking divine intervention through¬†Pope Benedict XVI¬†the day before,[79]¬†the "Kafkaesque¬†black farce"[80]¬†continued from where it had left off‚ÄĒwith¬†Donegal¬†allowed bridge a 20-year gap between titles, helped in no small part by a nightmare opening quarter for Mayo as¬†Michael Murphy‚ÄĒwhose father is from Mayo‚ÄĒlaunched a rocket of a shot into the goal after three minutes. Then, in the eleventh minute,¬†Colm McFadden¬†seized the ball from the grasp of Kevin Keane and slid it into the net for a second Donegal goal. Mayo only got on the scoresheet after sixteen minutes and never led at any point during the match. They eventually lost with thirteen points to Donegal's two goals and eleven.[80][81][82]

They lost again in 2013, this time by a single point to Dublin.[76]

They qualified for the 2016 Final on 18 September 2016 where they faced Dublin the curse seemingly struck again when they scored two own goals in the opening half before drawing with Dublin in the last few minutes of the game. They faced Dublin again in a rematch on the 1st October 2016 but lost by a point.

Mayo appeared again in the 2017 Final on 17 September 2017 and in the 2020 Final on 19 December 2020 where they faced Dublin in both finals. The curse continues to strike and Mayo lost both finals.

Following the death of Fr Peter Quinn in January 2016 and Dr. Pádraig Carney in 2019 two living members of the 1951 All Ireland winning team remain: Paddy Prendergast and Mick Loftus.[83][84] Mick Loftus was a sub but didn't play.[85]

10 hours ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

atlanta is cursed...trae gets hurt and we lose..i feel like if trae doesnt get hurt no way we arent in the finals and with how bad the suns choked we win..if trae randomly twisting his ankle on some dumb *** ref foot isnt proof idk what is 

I agree for the Hawks and Falcons. The Braves have one championship so I can't say that I think they are cursed. 

8 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I definitely think that the Falcons can break the curse. Especially if we continue to have good ownership and front office guys.

18 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Hopefully Matt Ryan will be a product of Arthur Smith's system and win a couple of super bowls for the Falcons.

Well, it's deeper than one player. Brady gets a lot of credit for his teams winning championships, but those were great teams. Even the Bucs from last season. People talk about how bad they were in 2019, but they actually looked good at times. Winston was careless with the ball, but still threw for 5000 yards and 30+ TDs. His 30 INTs will make you scratch your head, but that's the main difference between him and Brady. Brady will take care the the ball more.

Lastly, the Bucs added a bunch of players to that team. A lot of guys took a discount to win a championship. That's the Brady effect. So, unless Ryan has a group of friends that are willing to do that, we'll have to wait and see.

8 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Well, it's deeper than one player. Brady gets a lot of credit for his teams winning championships, but those were great teams. Even the Bucs from last season. People talk about how bad they were in 2019, but they actually looked good at times. Winston was careless with the ball, but still threw for 5000 yards and 30+ TDs. His 30 INTs will make you scratch your head, but that's the main difference between him and Brady. Brady will take care the the ball more.

Lastly, the Bucs added a bunch of players to that team. A lot of guys took a discount to win a championship. That's the Brady effect. So, unless Ryan has a group of friends that are willing to do that, we'll have to wait and see.

well unfortunately we live in the real world not the one brady lives in..embrace the suck..matt ryan..friends lmao imagine that 

Edited by RoddyWhite84

On 7/23/2021 at 11:29 AM, Xfactor said:

The Falcons remind me of the Red Sox so maybe we can finally break through

This is actually a good comp for us. Maybe not historically since coming into the league, but up and down wise I would say so.

3 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Even Brady himself takes a discount. 

On 7/24/2021 at 4:36 PM, since68andcounting said:

I mean you gotta admit there have been some really freaky things happen to this franchise. Most have been self-induced. But the biggest thing is that we've constantly been the victim of some really bad decisions with terrible timing.

• We fired the most successful coach in franchise history after 1983 because¬†cause we'd reached a "plateau". It took us years¬†to get back to that plateau.
  • We traded away a sure HOF QB with a once in a generation arm¬†because it appeared he wasn't mature enough for the NFL. He matured perfectly well after that.
  • We let the most talented player ever to don a Falcons uniform go to our¬†hated division rival¬†because we didn't want to open our pocketbook.
  • An experienced team leader goes soliciting sex the night before the most important game in franchise history, from a woman who just happened to be an undercover cop, and our QB and best CB are up till 3:30AM bailing him out.
  • We fired our head coach¬†because our QB got injured, and there was no suitable "backup", like there ever could be for a once in a generation talent. In the process, we lost the key experienced father figure that could have possibly kept said QB on the proper path, and replaced him with a "player's coach" that put in a complex¬†offense that the QB was not prepared or willing to learn.
  • We have changed our offensive philosophy back and forth from "smashmouth run the ball/play action deep" to "pass to enable the run" multiple times, requiring a complete re-tooling of our OL almost every time because the size/mobility requirements for both¬†offensive styles are generally not available¬†in any offensive lineman not picked in the top 10.
  • Super Bowl 51 - what can I say? There's a whole list of shoulda/coulda's in a single quarter of this game:¬† The 3 consecutive defensive holding calls on 3rd down that were never shown on replay, the "almost TD" when the ball was stripped from our QB as he had a wide open receiver down the middle, The miraculous opponent's¬†catch off our player's leg, the tipped almost INT by our DE, the brain fart by everyone from our QB to our OC to our HC when we could've run the ball 3 times, kicked,¬†and won the game.

welp welcome to moes 

On 7/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

Any and every sports team that has been around for some time before actually winning a championship.

Niners, Steelers, Patriots and many other now known "winning sports franchises" fall into that category.

Unless a newly created sports team wins within their first few decades, then most franchises were deemed losers until they no longer weren't.

Yeah, this.

The Pats were garbage until Belichick/Brady.

ATL United was a massive outlier and if anything, proof that ATL isn't cursed. I don't know of many if any teams that win a chip their 2nd year in the league.