Has there ever been a sports organization like the Atlanta Falcons that appeared to be cursed for many years but they finally broke the curse and won a championship?

For years I've heard the Falcons are cursed. Even before super bowl 51. Several die hard Falcons fans swear up and down this team is cursed. Everything from Eugene Robinson to Michael Vick to Julio Jones leaving to epic sports collapses like SB 51 and the 2012 NFCCG certainly make a good argument for the theory.

My question is has there ever been a major league sports team that was just like the Falcons where fans said they were cursed and they had tons of bad luck for many many years but they finally overcame that bad luck and won a championship?

The closest I can think of in the NFL would be the Chiefs and the Eagles who won a championship after having many let downs in the playoffs after earning the number one seed but their let downs were not as catastrophic as ours IMO. 

In the NBA the Cleveland Cavs kind of seemed like the Falcons for awhile. Lebron James left them after several deep playoff runs that ended in disappointment and they were ring less in a cursed sports city but then lebron James came back to Cleveland and won them a championship.

In Baseball I the Nationals and Cubs were the closest I can think of. 

In my opinion the Cleveland Cavs are by far the closest thing to a team just like the Falcons that appeared to be cursed in a cursed city that broke the curse and finally won a championship. 

What's your guys opinion? Are there any sports teams that reminded you of the Atlanta Falcons where they appeared to be cursed and had a lot of bad luck but they finally beat the curse and won the championship?

There is no curse. Vick ruined his whole career in Atlanta doing stupid off the field things. Julio wanting out and requesting a trade isnt a curse. That's just business. Team isnt cursed. Bad luck but not cursed. If the Falcons were cursed this team would have NEVER reached the SB. 

Edited by ROMERO

34 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

For years I've heard the Falcons are cursed. Even before super bowl 51. Several die hard Falcons fans swear up and down this team is cursed. Everything from Eugene Robinson to Michael Vick to Julio Jones leaving to epic sports collapses like SB 51 and the 2012 NFCCG certainly make a good argument for the theory.

My question is has there ever been a major league sports team that was just like the Falcons where fans said they were cursed and they had tons of bad luck for many many years but they finally overcame that bad luck and won a championship?

The closest I can think of in the NFL would be the Chiefs and the Eagles who won a championship after having many let downs in the playoffs after earning the number one seed but their let downs were not as catastrophic as ours IMO. 

In the NBA the Cleveland Cavs kind of seemed like the Falcons for awhile. Lebron James left them after several deep playoff runs that ended in disappointment and they were ring less in a cursed sports city but then lebron James came back to Cleveland and won them a championship.

In Baseball I the Nationals and Cubs were the closest I can think of. 

In my opinion the Cleveland Cavs are by far the closest thing to a team just like the Falcons that appeared to be cursed in a cursed city that broke the curse and finally won a championship. 

What's your guys opinion? Are there any sports teams that reminded you of the Atlanta Falcons where they appeared to be cursed and had a lot of bad luck but they finally beat the curse and won the championship?

Yep.... the Patriots pre-Tom Brady.   Someone already mentioned the Steelers.   At one time Dallas wanted Tom Landry fired.

Seems to me the key is to find a coach who is solid in the fundamentals.... understands how to win in the NFL... and is a good teacher.   No gimmicks, no buddy-buddy with the players.   Do we have that in Arthue Smith?  We'll see.....

42 minutes ago, ROMERO said:

There is no curse. Vick ruined his whole career in Atlanta doing stupid off the field things. Julio wanting out and requesting a trade isnt a curse. That's just business. Team isnt cursed. Bad luck but not cursed. If the Falcons were cursed this team would have NEVER reached the SB. 

Not to mention, cursed would describe a team similar to the Buffalo Bills of the 90s. Not a team like us, that are up and down.

Any and every sports team that has been around for some time before actually winning a championship.

Niners, Steelers, Patriots and many other now known "winning sports franchises" fall into that category.

Unless a newly created sports team wins within their first few decades, then most franchises were deemed losers until they no longer weren't.

40 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Yep.... the Patriots pre-Tom Brady.   Someone already mentioned the Steelers.   At one time Dallas wanted Tom Landry fired.

Seems to me the key is to find a coach who is solid in the fundamentals.... understands how to win in the NFL... and is a good teacher.   No gimmicks, no buddy-buddy with the players.   Do we have that in Arthue Smith?  We'll see.....

And hang on to him....the only falcon for life!

13 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I agree, no such thing as sports curses.

Cursed? No

Terrible? Yes

Chicago Bulls were absolutely terrible before the Jordan era. There's a reason why nothing pre-84' is ever mentioned in Bulls history. Lol

The Falcons are kind of like the Cavs and Eagles where they have had quite a few post season let downs. Lebron leaving the Cavs and leaving them for dead has Atlanta Falcons written all over it. The Eagles made it to 5 nfc championship games in like 8 years and fell short every time. A lot of people thought Philly was cursed.