Texas And Oklahoma Eying Move To SEC?

AUTiger7222

50 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I believe it would be a great move for all parties involved. This would give the SEC a true East division (move Auburn and Bama to the East) and West division(Oklahoma and Texas would take the 2 spots in the west) . Plus, it would keep the traditional rivalries 

I think we should get rid of divisions. People have suggested pods but I don't like that either. If you go to 16 teams then you've got to go to at least 9 conference games. You set up 4 or 5 permanent opponents for each team that you play every year and then rotate the rest of the teams.

3 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I think we should get rid of divisions. People have suggested pods but I don't like that either. If you go to 16 teams then you've got to go to at least 9 conference games. You set up 4 or 5 permanent opponents for each team that you play every year and then rotate the rest of the teams.

You basically are describing pods. Divisions would be the easiest but pods allows all the teams to play each other more often, so there’s benefits both ways. I agree we will be seeing 9 conference games if/when this goes through because it’s the only way to make any of it work 

17 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

You basically are describing pods. Divisions would be the easiest but pods allows all the teams to play each other more often, so there’s benefits both ways. I agree we will be seeing 9 conference games if/when this goes through because it’s the only way to make any of it work 

The difference is pods are regional based. What I'm describing has nothing to do with regions. It's all about preserving certain yearly rivalries. For example, out of all the pod examples I've seen none of them have LSU and Auburn in the same pod. That means LSU and Auburn wouldn't play every year based on that scheduling. That doesn't work since LSU is one of Auburn's top 3 rivals. In my example if you make 4 or 5 games permanent and rotate the others then you can make sure we don't lose any of those traditional rivalries.

My biggest beef with all the conference switching around that has taken place the last 20 years is the loss of some great rivalries. Rivalries like Texas vs. Texas A&M, Oklahoma vs. Nebraska, Colorado vs. Nebraska to name a few. Those were all great rivalries we lost.

Ugh....I dont like it. The SEC is Death Valley with corn dogs. The Grove and sun dresses. The Vol Navy patrolling the Tennessee River. Jorts in the Swamp. Barking between the hedges. Dixieland Delight with Satan and his death star. An entire fanbase who has no clue if they're tigers, eagles, or plains men. 

It's not boomer sooner or hookem horns.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Big 12's AD's have called for a meeting this afternoon. That tells you something really is happening. 

The AD's are forcing teams to show their hands. They're asking all members to sign a 5 year extension for the TV deal that would carry into 2030. Texas is supposedly declining to do so and will reportedly send in official paperwork saying so next week. No word on Oklahoma yet but its anticipated the Big 12 AD's are discussing what they would do for all scenarios. 

18 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

The AD's are forcing teams to show their hands. They're asking all members to sign a 5 year extension for the TV deal that would carry into 2030. Texas is supposedly declining to do so and will reportedly send in official paperwork saying so next week. No word on Oklahoma yet but its anticipated the Big 12 AD's are discussing what they would do for all scenarios. 

Texas A&M is reportedly not happy with the rumors. A&M thinks there was a promise made to them by the SEC to never add another Texas school. But the AD admitted that he doesn't know for sure if that's in their contract agreement or not. There needs to be at least 11 yes votes from SEC AD's to extended membership to another school. So, even in that cause, A&M would have hard time blocking this unless the SEC schools don't want expansion.

3 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Texas A&M is reportedly not happy with the rumors. A&M thinks there was a promise made to them by the SEC to never add another Texas school. But the AD admitted that he doesn't know for sure if that's in their contract agreement or not. There needs to be at least 11 yes votes from SEC AD's to extended membership to another school. So, even in that cause, A&M would have hard time blocking this unless the SEC schools don't want expansion.

SEC schools want money and if Texas/OU come to the league there will be a lot of money coming into the league too. You could easily see north of 60-70 million per school if those 2 teams come over 

10 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Big 12's AD's have called for a meeting this afternoon. That tells you something really is happening. 

8 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Neither Texas nor Oklahoma participated in the call. Basically signals that they're done with the Big 12.

5 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

SEC schools want money and if Texas/OU come to the league there will be a lot of money coming into the league too. You could easily see north of 60-70 million per school if those 2 teams come over 

Yep. Definitely true. That's why A&M would be SOL on their claim that they were "promised" to be the only Texas school in the SEC. That's way too much money for the other schools to turn down.

The sticky part is The Longhorn Network. What happens with it?

17 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Yep. Definitely true. That's why A&M would be SOL on their claim that they were "promised" to be the only Texas school in the SEC. That's way too much money for the other schools to turn down.

The sticky part is The Longhorn Network. What happens with it?

The Longhorn Network has been a financial loser for a long time. It'll get dropped and folded into the SEC Network portfolio.

If this happens (looks like its more a matter of when now), look for West Virginia to join the ACC and Notre Dame to become a full time member. Both teams make too much sense in the ACC. West Virginia is near other Virginia P5 (soon to be P4) schools and gets their rivalry with Pitt back. 

Kansas and Iowa State to the Big 12. Kansas is one is a handful of schools that is enough of a basketball draw to make up for abysmal football. 

Oklahoma State and TCU to the Pac 12. 

As for K State, they are SOL I think. Texas Tech probably is too. I think there is a chance Baylor could get picked up by the Pac 12, but who knows 

4 hours ago, tl;dr said:

If this happens (looks like its more a matter of when now), look for West Virginia to join the ACC and Notre Dame to become a full time member. Both teams make too much sense in the ACC. West Virginia is near other Virginia P5 (soon to be P4) schools and gets their rivalry with Pitt back. 

Kansas and Iowa State to the Big 12. Kansas is one is a handful of schools that is enough of a basketball draw to make up for abysmal football. 

Oklahoma State and TCU to the Pac 12. 

As for K State, they are SOL I think. Texas Tech probably is too. I think there is a chance Baylor could get picked up by the Pac 12, but who knows 

West Virginia's move to the Big 12 never made one lick of sense. They should have been bound for the ACC all along.

Also I read the suggestion that if they do expand the playoffs Notre Dame would never have a shot at ever getting better than a 5th seed (proposal said top 4 seeds would get a playoff bye).

As for the other suggestions you have listed, I don't know why the Pac-12 would want TCU. TCU gets them into the Texas TV market but TCU's football product has really fallen off in recent years. Outside of them winning 11 games in 2017 they've been abysmal since 2016. Only 6 wins in 2016, 7 in 2018, 5 in 2019 and 6 in 2020. Gary Patterson's magic might have run out. The last time TCU had 3 years with 7 or fewer wins in a row was the mid 90s.

I think some of those lesser Big 12 schools would be good fits for the American conference since teams like Tulsa and Houston are already in that conference. The American could become the other 16 team mega conference.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:50 PM, Bdawg58 said:

I believe it would be a great move for all parties involved. This would give the SEC a true East division (move Auburn and Bama to the East) and West division(Oklahoma and Texas would take the 2 spots in the west) . Plus, it would keep the traditional rivalries 

If they come into the SEC, which I am not 100% on board with, I like what you are saying about having a true East and West. However, what about Missouri? 

I think we need another team from the West division that is located closer east than Missouri to move into the Eastern Division. 

13 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

If this happens, it'll be safe to say that the Big 12 will fold in due time. I can't see how they'll be able to sustain their conference with only the 8 remaining teams. Texas and OU were what had kept them afloat thus far.

Oh yeah. Theyll be trying to get into the Big 10 or Pac 12. WV will be calling the ACC. 

4 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

West Virginia's move to the Big 12 never made one lick of sense. They should have been bound for the ACC all along.

Also I read the suggestion that if they do expand the playoffs Notre Dame would never have a shot at ever getting better than a 5th seed (proposal said top 4 seeds would get a playoff bye).

As for the other suggestions you have listed, I don't know why the Pac-12 would want TCU. TCU gets them into the Texas TV market but TCU's football product has really fallen off in recent years. Outside of them winning 11 games in 2017 they've been abysmal since 2016. Only 6 wins in 2016, 7 in 2018, 5 in 2019 and 6 in 2020. Gary Patterson's magic might have run out. The last time TCU had 3 years with 7 or fewer wins in a row was the mid 90s.

I think some of those lesser Big 12 schools would be good fits for the American conference since teams like Tulsa and Houston are already in that conference. The American could become the other 16 team mega conference.

They’ve still got a good bit of money and a relatively big brand. They’d get the nod before Texas Tech and Kansas State for sure. I could see Baylor and TCU going to the Pac 12 in a package deal 

59 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Rumor is the Big 10 has called USC,UCLA,Oregon and one more Pac12 school. Maybe Washington 

That would be a curveball and doesn’t really make much sense for those schools. I’d imagine the Pac 12 schools stay together. 

Still think the Big 10 should give Kansas and Iowa State calls. Iowa State with Campbell could add some real power to the conference and Kansas could benefit in football from it. Plus, the Big 10 would be adding one of the few teams that’s really going to add a lot of attention in basketball. 

Geography isn’t the end all be all either, but that’s A TON of travel if those other teams go. Going from Gainesville to Norman would be a long trip too though to be fair. But Penn State to Spokane, LA, or Eugene for a Wednesday basketball game? I can’t see many ADs signing off on that