Do you think that the Falcons defense going into 2021 is more talented than what Dean Pees had to work with in Tennessee in 2018 and 2019?

The Tennessee Titans defense appears to be bad both before and after Dean Pees was defensive coordinator in Tennessee for the 2018 and 2019 seasons. If Dean Pees can get the Titans defense playing well one would think has a chance to get Atlanta looking decent on D.

My question is do you think that Dean Pees has more to work with or at least the same amount of talent with Atlanta's defense than what he had in Tennessee the 2 seasons he was there? The Falcons have Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones, Foye, AJ Terrell as the best players and a couple of guys with potential.  

If the Falcons defense is as talented or more talented as the Titans defense was in 2018 and 2019 there is a very good chance the Falcons defense good play well the next couple of seasons.

In my opinion, not really.

Titans had a pro bowler in Casey who was better than any edge we have. They had established solid veterans like Vaccaro, Butler, and A. Jackson in the secondary. Byard really wasn't a special "talent," but he was a decent ball hawk. Brown and Woodyard were not more athletically talented than Jones and Oluokun, but as a pair (2v2) they were better tacklers and more solid at the point of attack (Jones' only weakness...but a noticeable issue at times vs. teams that are good at getting hats on LBs in the running game).

Frankly, I'd take the Titans unit in a heartbeat. The secondary was so much better than what we have currently that it pretty much answers the question without having to dig to deep into statistics and such. It kinda hurts to say that, because it means a "meh" secondary tips the scales totally in favor of the Titans. That is not good!

Sure, the defense has some talent, but so does everyone in the NFL. On average, they are not going to be "out talenting" their opponents. If this unit is successful, it will be due to one helluva coaching job and some strong game planning for each specific opponent. I think AS will have to also make sure the offensive game plans varies from week to week based on the opponent. Against stronger offense, more ball control will probably be in order.

14 hours ago, falcndave said:

Sure, the defense has some talent, but so does everyone in the NFL. On average, they are not going to be "out talenting" their opponents. If this unit is successful, it will be due to one helluva coaching job and some strong game planning for each specific opponent. I think AS will have to also make sure the offensive game plans varies from week to week based on the opponent. Against stronger offense, more ball control will probably be in order

This I agree most with. We have some talent but we arent going to out talent many if any. There were games though, after Raheem took over HC, that we saw our defense improve and hold teams down much better than in DQs defense. KC game is a perfect example that we couldnt out talent someone, but we could hang with a good game plan on D.

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

This I agree most with. We have some talent but we arent going to out talent many if any. There were games though, after Raheem took over HC, that we saw our defense improve and hold teams down much better than in DQs defense. KC game is a perfect example that we couldnt out talent someone, but we could hang with a good game plan on D.

Agree with this completely.  We aren't going to out talent much of anyone, but as the KC game proved last years, we have enough good parts to be compete anyone as long as we have good coaching.  I think we've added enough talent to what we already have that a creative coach like Pees can make us a middle of the road D at least.  If the offense clicks the way I expect it to under AS's play calling, a middle of the road D may be all we need to be a playoff contender.  

20 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Tennessee Titans defense appears to be bad both before and after Dean Pees was defensive coordinator in Tennessee for the 2018 and 2019 seasons. If Dean Pees can get the Titans defense playing well one would think has a chance to get Atlanta looking decent on D.

My question is do you think that Dean Pees has more to work with or at least the same amount of talent with Atlanta's defense than what he had in Tennessee the 2 seasons he was there? The Falcons have Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones, Foye, AJ Terrell as the best players and a couple of guys with potential.  

If the Falcons defense is as talented or more talented as the Titans defense was in 2018 and 2019 there is a very good chance the Falcons defense good play well the next couple of seasons.

It is hard to really answer the question of whether he has more to work with here than he had in TN 2018/2019 because any attempted comparison is clouded by hindsight of who the TN players are today vs who they were when Pees took over their defense.  It would take a pretty deep dive into articles from 2018 to really get a legitimate idea of how the talent level was viewed at that time.. and I really don't have the time to do that.

But, what we can do, is look at is the 2017 roster vs the 2018 roster, see what changed and then see the results from the changes.  So from 2017 to 2018, the Titans replaced 3 starters on defense (Sylvester Williams NT, Avery Williamson RILB, Johnathan Ciprien S).  They replaced those 3 with Austin Johnson NT, Jayon Brown RILB, and Kenny Vaccaro S... and they brought in Pees. 

2017 - 20th in total yards, 17th in points allowed, 24th in passing TDs, 25th in passing yards, 1st in rushing TDs allowed. 

2018 - 8th in total yards, 3rd in points allowed, 6th in passing TDs and passing yards, 5th in rushing TDs allowed.

So they replaced a pretty terrible safety (Ciprien) with a journeyman (Vaccarro), an older player (Williams) with a 2nd year player (Johnson) and a young guy (Williamson) with a rookie (Brown) ... and added Pees (good coaching) which resulted in exponential improvement in every one of hte above categories but rushing TDs (a little hard to improve on 1st.. nowhere to go but down).  Mostly the same defensive talent they had the year .. but dramatically different results.  

Again, looking at what the Falcons defense did against KC last year tells me there is more talent here than fans and media are willing to give credit for.  I would argue we upgraded safety (Allen/Neaseman vs Harris/Harman... Grant vs Neal could potentially be a push now.. but I think Grant could be even better down the road), I think Moreau could be a big surprise and will end up being an upgrade over Dennard.  There are a lot of unknowns with all the rookies though... but given who they are replacing, I think there is a good chance they can at last provide the same level of solid play as the guys we lost.  

We'll see, but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic that we'll see defensive significant improvement.  

Off the top of my head, I would say Titans easily but that's because we're historically bad in that department. Their front 7 consist(ed) of guys like Casey, Harold Landry, Jeffrey Simmons, Correa, and LBs Jayon Brown and Rashan Evans. A secondary of byard and butler and adoree Jackson.

They've always seem to have more pieces than us over the last few years and they're bigger too. But I'll always trust coaching over anything. And I think we got a good old school one in Pees.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:10 PM, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Hard to say a bunch of knuckleheads have been running the defense the entire time I've been a fan. 

Yeah I mean we could have a roster full of pro-bowlers on defense and a bunch on offense that we didn't know about. 

Coaching has been *** since Matt Ryan got here on at least one side of the ball. 

It's been said over and over and over on these boards but the talent gap argument simply doesn't hold water unless you are a true dumpster organization like the Jets or Houston.  All these guys are NFL players all of them can produce given the right coaching and situations.  A lot of its practice, positioning, the play call, timing, and a lot of it is luck. NFL success comes down to coaching, timing and some luck not talent.

On top of that we aren't even as devoid of talent on paper as people like to pretend we are.  We added the top rated safety in this draft and two guys at safety who were starters on NFL rosters last year as well as having one of the top rookie CBs returning for his second year and adding a veteran CB to assist him on the other side.  We have two play making LBers and a top notch NT who causes massive disruption at the LOS.  We have lots of your DL prospects to pair with him as well.  

Want proof of timing and luck over talent how about the Neal knee if he gets a better initial read he doesn't jump and that ball lands in his hands to end the game.  Another one if Alford jumps a half second later he nabs his second INT of the SB locks up the game and probably gets to be a top CB for a few year because top CBs get away with more grabbing.  Instead he's a beat off and tips the ball right to Edelman and spends the next year being flagged everytime he breathes the same air as a WR.  The margins between success and failure are so razor thin you really need to focus less on your perceived talent level and more on a strategy that utilizes your teams talents.  

4 hours ago, #84 said:

It's been said over and over and over on these boards but the talent gap argument simply doesn't hold water unless you are a true dumpster organization like the Jets or Houston.  All these guys are NFL players all of them can produce given the right coaching and situations.  A lot of its practice, positioning, the play call, timing, and a lot of it is luck. NFL success comes down to coaching, timing and some luck not talent.

On top of that we aren't even as devoid of talent on paper as people like to pretend we are.  We added the top rated safety in this draft and two guys at safety who were starters on NFL rosters last year as well as having one of the top rookie CBs returning for his second year and adding a veteran CB to assist him on the other side.  We have two play making LBers and a top notch NT who causes massive disruption at the LOS.  We have lots of your DL prospects to pair with him as well.  

Want proof of timing and luck over talent how about the Neal knee if he gets a better initial read he doesn't jump and that ball lands in his hands to end the game.  Another one if Alford jumps a half second later he nabs his second INT of the SB locks up the game and probably gets to be a top CB for a few year because top CBs get away with more grabbing.  Instead he's a beat off and tips the ball right to Edelman and spends the next year being flagged everytime he breathes the same air as a WR.  The margins between success and failure are so razor thin you really need to focus less on your perceived talent level and more on a strategy that utilizes your teams talents.  

And honestly Walker may take a leap this year. He showed some flashes last season

22 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Dean Pees must think he can succeed here in Atlanta or he wouldn't have taken the job probably.

He doesn't just think, he knows he can succeed here. This D won't resemble last year's with Pees at the controls and better defensive coaches working with these guys through the week.

The vets and the young players should all respond well to the new coaches and more enjoyable aggressive scheme. They'll all be having fun headhunting the QB, taking the ball away from wide receivers, meeting RB's behind the line and generally wreaking havoc.