T.J. YATES

58 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I know of a TJ Yates...he wasn't anything special as a player though.

He was a decent journeyman pro.  Took the Texans to the playoffs one season as I recall.

I agree, nothing special, but he understands the offense well enough to run it on marginal talent.  I'll take that guy on our coaching staff 10 times out of 10.

• ya_boi_j changed the title to T.J. YATES
5 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

Yeah, I think he is the one.  He is now the Falcons passing strategy coach, I didn't know there was such a position.

It's more like a coaching trainee position. He probably sits in on meetings and takes notes.

3 hours ago, Hard Case said:

Anybody remember this guy ?  He is now the Passing strategy Coach for the Falcons.  I remember him playing QB against us as a rookie replacement, and he destroyed us .  I think he even played for us at one point.  Anybody have any facts on him, any memories ? 

I guess if you consider 12-25 for 188 yards in a 17-10 game that was tied until 6 mins left in the 4th "killing us" then sure.

5 hours ago, Mescalito said:

Didn't he take over for Schaub in Houston briefly after Schaub got pick sixitus?

He played for the Texans one of the years they made the playoffs after Schaub got hurt. He was their 3rd string QB and he led the Texans to a win over the Falcons in Houston. 2011 I think it was. It was the game where not once but twice Ryan over threw a wide open Julio for what should have been 2 walk in touchdowns. Falcons lost 17-10.

To answer your question, I don't think he was still in Houston in 2013 when Schaub was eventually benched for all the pick 6's. Believe he might have been with the Falcons by 2013.

Interesting tidbits…

Arthur Smith played for UNC from 2001-2005. He then served as a graduate assistant on the UNC coaching staff in 2006… when Yates was a redshirt freshman. Yates went on to hold UNC’s record for career passing yards.

Arthur Smith’s birthday is May 27th. Yates’ is May 28th (same as @JD dirtybird21 & myself).

5 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

I guess if you consider 12-25 for 188 yards in a 17-10 game that was tied until 6 mins left in the 4th "killing us" then sure.

We didn't expect that much from a rookie QB, and the fact that he beat us was devastating.

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

You gonna disrespect Billy Joe Tolliver like that?

Also disrespecting the likes of Wade Wilson and Bobby Hebert. Wade Wilson was asked to start after Chris Miller got hurt in 1992 and threw 5 TD passes against the Bucs in a 35-7 Falcons win. For many, many, many, years and decades Wade Wilson was the only QB in Falcons history to throw 5 TD passes in a game until Matt Ryan finally did it.

17 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

You gonna disrespect Billy Joe Tolliver like that?

You mean, "Billy Joe Overthrow"?  He was like a Braves pitcher, he had a strong arm, but had no idea where it was going when he released it.