Padres at Braves

Unknøwn

Monday, 7:20

Yu Darvish vs Kyle Muller

Tuesday, 7:20

TBD vs Touki Toussaint 

Wednesday, 12:20

TBD vs Charlie Morton

SD has a lot of injuries on the pitching side. Theyre pretty much piecing the rotation together day by day.

The Braves are a good team with some tendencies of bad teams. We can look like a WS contender and a bottom feeder all in the same game. I think we are similar to the 2019 Nats in a lot of ways. Good SP, decent lineup, but an absolutely awful bullpen. If the bullpen can come together and be even somewhat respectable, I really believe we can make a run.

22nd in bullpen ERA. Can't find a definitive SP ERA rank, but we are 16th in the majors in overall ERA and 8th in QSs. 

The offense has had its dull moments, but has not been the biggest issue despite injuries. Sucks because I think we could have a top 5 offense if not for injuries. 8th in OPS, 11th in runs scored. 

I really think we can turn it around, but I can also accept with big time injuries (Soroka, Acuna, d'Arnaud) and the Ozuna weirdness, that it really just might not be our year. 

Good news is that as long as we hang onto Freddie this offseason (I'd be stunned if we didn't), we will have a good bit of money to spend to improve the pen and hopefully add some more lineup production. This year will hopefully (and I think) be looked at as an abberation in what should be an other wise nice run.

Just get a frickin WS title please

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Monday, 7:20

Yu Darvish vs Kyle Muller

Tuesday, 7:20

TBD vs Touki Toussaint 

Wednesday, 12:20

TBD vs Charlie Morton

SD has a lot of injuries on the pitching side. Theyre pretty much piecing the rotation together day by day.

Why is it that we a babying these pitchers more than ever and yet the injuries are skyrocketing worse than they’ve ever been? One theory is that back in the day, the great athletes were playing multiple sports year round, thus giving pitchers a good six months away from throwing and getting rest. Now they play one sport year round and instead of learning the crafty art of pitching they are being trained to seek maximum velocity with every pitch. I believe those two things are major contributors to the problem

24 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

The Braves are a good team with some tendencies of bad teams. We can look like a WS contender and a bottom feeder all in the same game. I think we are similar to the 2019 Nats in a lot of ways. Good SP, decent lineup, but an absolutely awful bullpen. If the bullpen can come together and be even somewhat respectable, I really believe we can make a run.

22nd in bullpen ERA. Can't find a definitive SP ERA rank, but we are 16th in the majors in overall ERA and 8th in QSs. 

The offense has had its dull moments, but has not been the biggest issue despite injuries. Sucks because I think we could have a top 5 offense if not for injuries. 8th in OPS, 11th in runs scored. 

I really think we can turn it around, but I can also accept with big time injuries (Soroka, Acuna, d'Arnaud) and the Ozuna weirdness, that it really just might not be our year. 

Good news is that as long as we hang onto Freddie this offseason (I'd be stunned if we didn't), we will have a good bit of money to spend to improve the pen and hopefully add some more lineup production. This year will hopefully (and I think) be looked at as an abberation in what should be an other wise nice run.

Just get a frickin WS title please

Honestly, I dont get how people come to expect a bullpen to be lockdown all the time. First of all, they are relievers, meaning not good enough to start. So in reality by nature they aren’t very good. So you limit them to one inning and cross your fingers. But these guys are being used nearly every other game and you expect them to throw scoreless innings every time? They aren’t good enough to do that. AJ Minter has pitched in 41 of 91 games. He has pitched scoreless outings in 30 of those 41, and has pitched hitless in 20 of 41. If you project that out to an acceptable starting job of 6 innings, that is runs scored in 1.5 innings of a 6 inning start, or 4.5 scoreless innings. Not horrible. Yet this fan base is ripping on the guy. These guys just simply can’t be lockdown every game. And when you are using 4 to 5 relievers a game, one of them is bound to have a bad game. Law of averages. With a bullpen it can’t be expectations, it’s simply cross your fingers and pray. 

8 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

They need a roster spot so Inciarte got "injured" watching the game from the bench.

Now ICC joins in the 'WandaVison' wink meme | EastMojo

Take from the bats...to add a relief pitcher....doesn't make sense to me.  I would've used another pitcher...

bat for bat

pitcher for pitcher

1 hour ago, Adam Duvall said:

Honestly, I dont get how people come to expect a bullpen to be lockdown all the time. First of all, they are relievers, meaning not good enough to start. So in reality by nature they aren’t very good. So you limit them to one inning and cross your fingers. But these guys are being used nearly every other game and you expect them to throw scoreless innings every time? They aren’t good enough to do that. AJ Minter has pitched in 41 of 91 games. He has pitched scoreless outings in 30 of those 41, and has pitched hitless in 20 of 41. If you project that out to an acceptable starting job of 6 innings, that is runs scored in 1.5 innings of a 6 inning start, or 4.5 scoreless innings. Not horrible. Yet this fan base is ripping on the guy. These guys just simply can’t be lockdown every game. And when you are using 4 to 5 relievers a game, one of them is bound to have a bad game. Law of averages. With a bullpen it can’t be expectations, it’s simply cross your fingers and pray. 

Idk if that’s necessarily true. It’s just different roles. Smoltz is a rare exception if a guy who can do both. Usually you want someone with unhittable stuff at the back of the bullpen.

20 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Take from the bats...to add a relief pitcher....doesn't make sense to me.  I would've used another pitcher...

bat for bat

pitcher for pitcher

They have Abraham Almonte, Guillermo Heredia, Joc Pederson, Orlando Arcia for the outfield and Ehire Adrianza can also play out there. They have more than enough outfielders to lose Inciarte

Braves hoping to catch a hot hand with Newk. His last two outings...

2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. 

Overall he K'd 9 in the 4 innings since going back to AAA and only walked 1. He had one game where gave up a run but the other 3 were clean. 

44 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

They need a roster spot so Inciarte got "injured" watching the game from the bench.

Now ICC joins in the 'WandaVison' wink meme | EastMojo

Ehhh he can still provide defense if nothing else.

Pablo is the one who should be "injured"

Just now, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, 3 walks since May. Two this month.

See.. progress!

Seriously though... Pablo is a valuable part of the team and they need to find a way to keep his presence in the locker room but he needs to be replaced if/when the braves add another bat.

They have the makings of a good bench  with Adrianza, Arcia, and Almonte but Pablo is just taking up a roster spot at this point.

4 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Idk if that’s necessarily true. It’s just different roles. Smoltz is a rare exception if a guy who can do both. Usually you want someone with unhittable stuff at the back of the bullpen.

Outside of an elite closer relievers are generally journeyman types. 

5 hours ago, tl;dr said:

It used to be true back in the 60s and 70s but not anymore. Bullpen was made up of guys not good enough to start. Once a guy proved himself in the bullpen he got moved to the starting rotation.

Now days guys are specifically drafted and developed for the bullpen like the Braves did with Craig Kimbrel. Had nothing to do with Kimbrel not being good enough to be starting pitcher.

22 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

KC won a WS around a strong bullpen.

Yep. Those Giants World Series teams didn't have great starting staffs either (they had Lincecum and Bumgarner) but their bullpen was more important to their success.