Coaching - wha-da-we-got

Being the best head coach the falcons have hired is not all that hard to do really. If you look at the coaches under the Smith ownership years, its super bleak.

AS and TF have a chance to really put a stamp of greatness on this franchise. I personally feel we are headed in the right direction and we will see a return to playoffs quite quickly.

I don't get how anyone thinks Dan Reeves was a good coach for ATL. 7 years, with only 2 winning seasons. Its called the Golden Age fallacy. He wasn't good. 

6 hours ago, runshoot said:

Being the best head coach the falcons have hired is not all that hard to do really. If you look at the coaches under the Smith ownership years, its super bleak.

AS and TF have a chance to really put a stamp of greatness on this franchise. I personally feel we are headed in the right direction and we will see a return to playoffs quite quickly.

I don't get how anyone thinks Dan Reeves was a good coach for ATL. 7 years, with only 2 winning seasons. Its called the Golden Age fallacy. He wasn't good. 

Dan Reeves the coach was very good. The problem is Dan Reeves the GM was horrendous. Coaching can only do so much with a lack of talent. Reeves was also the victim of injuries to his best and most important players. There's not many teams that would turned in winning seasons in 1999, 2001 and 2003 with the injuries the Falcons dealt with those years. But the only way the Smiths could get Dan Reeves to take the HC job was by giving him the GM job as well.

21 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I wouldn’t really call this his 1st year though. AS’s playbook was taken directly from Matt LaFleur’s playbook, which was a photocopy of Kyle Shanahan’s playbook.

Ryan may take a little while to get use to the way Smith calls plays, but that doesn’t take too much time. Certainly not a year. Probably before the preseason is over with.  But the system? The route concepts, verbiage (slight difference), protection schemes, etc should all seem quite familiar to Ryan. 

I hope you’re right. I just know that every time we’ve had an OC change it’s taken Ryan a season to get comfortable and make a jump. With our historically awful defenses over the past 10 seasons, I hope you’re right and our D plays better. 

13 hours ago, runshoot said:

Head coaching record

Regular season:190–165–2

Postseason:11–9

Career:201–174–2

That is better than most.  And, of course, his success is watered down because of his time with the Falcons.  Atlanta was more finesse than Reeves liked.  However, he took the 3-13 Falcons to 7-9, then 14-2 and a SB appearance.   He was the 1998 NFL Coach of the Year.  That sounds to me like good coaching.  Following his heart attach and quadruple bypass, he was not the same.  I stated that in my earlier post.  He was here for 6 seasons.

I call anyone good who wins more than he loses.

10 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Head coaching record

Regular season:190–165–2

Postseason:11–9

Career:201–174–2

That is better than most.  And, of course, his success is watered down because of his time with the Falcons.  Atlanta was more finesse than Reeves liked.  However, he took the 3-13 Falcons to 7-9, then 14-2 and a SB appearance.   He was the 1998 NFL Coach of the Year.  That sounds to me like good coaching.  Following his heart attach and quadruple bypass, he was not the same.  I stated that in my earlier post.  He was here for 6 seasons.

I call anyone good who wins more than he loses.

16 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Dan Reeves the coach was very good. The problem is Dan Reeves the GM was horrendous. Coaching can only do so much with a lack of talent. Reeves was also the victim of injuries to his best and most important players. There's not many teams that would turned in winning seasons in 1999, 2001 and 2003 with the injuries the Falcons dealt with those years. But the only way the Smiths could get Dan Reeves to take the HC job was by giving him the GM job as well.

Ill just disagree. Yeah he had 1998. What did he do after that season? 5 wins, 4 wins, 7 wins. Im old enough to have been a fan back then, owning season tickets even through the June Jones era.

Jamal Anderson was hurt in 99 and the team folded. 1 player brought a "very good" coach to his knees. 2000 wasn't any better with Jamal back. Chandler played in 12, 14 and 14 games, so cant blame it on injuries. Tuggle was hurt in 2000 but that was way past his prime. You can go look up the injured reserve list from those years. You arent going to see a lot of "most important players" other than Jam in 1999.

49-59 season record as ATL coach. Big old MEH.

Edited by runshoot

7 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Ill just disagree. Yeah he had 1998. What did he do after that season? 5 wins, 4 wins, 7 wins. Im old enough to have been a fan back then, owning season tickets even through the June Jones era.

Jamal Anderson was hurt in 99 and the team folded. 1 player brought a "very good" coach to his knees. 2000 wasn't any better with Jamal back. Chandler played in 12, 14 and 14 games, so cant blame it on injuries. Tuggle was hurt in 2000 but that was way past his prime. You can go look up the injured reserve list from those years. You arent going to see a lot of "most important players" other than Jam in 1999.

You are not reading my post, yet responding to them. 

I underwent 17 hours of surgery about the same time frame Reeves had his bypass.  When I returned to work, I was shocked at what I did not understand.  I looked at previous designs I had done and wondered why I designed networks that way.  I went to meetings and got lost in the conversations.  I thought I was going to have to find something else to do for a living.  But, slowly, over a long period of time, it came back.  My brain improved.  If I were in the spotlight like Dan Reeves, I would have been fired. 

Actually, Reeves was not fired.  He asked to be released.  Like me, I am sure he could tell something was wrong.  You have to live through it to understand it. 

So, once again.  If you want to look at his entire body of work and understand what happened to him at the end of his coaching career, I think you will conclude he was a good coach.  If you want to focus on the 6 years in Atlanta and ignore what he went through with a quadruple bypass, that is your choice.  I learned long ago that people believe what they want to believe.

This is one situation where, if it doesn't work out, I'll look back on it and say: "I can see why the FO thought it was a good idea."

I never had that take on Smith or Quinn. Even though they both enjoyed some degree of success, I always questioned the thought processes that brought them to Atlanta. Quinn, in particular, always look like a rider of Carroll's coat tails to me. I never felt like it was clear who he was or what he did outside of that context. 

7 hours ago, runshoot said:

The team lived and died with 1 man in the Reeves days. First it was Jamal and then it was Vick. Jamal and Vick combined to miss nearly the entire seasons in 1999, 2001 and 2003. The reason the team was built on 1 guy was because Reeves was such a horrible GM. No coach would have won with those teams in those years with the way they were built and the injuries to those guys. I'm sorry that you can't separate the coach and GM aspect and view them individually.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, richardc said:

The search continues. It’s been a while since Blank dismissed Reeves, the first coach to get Atlanta to the SB. It took him 4 more coaches to get Atlanta back to a SB, and now we try again.  Given past performance on coaches under AB (Mora, Purina, M Smith, DQ), excuse me for not being excited to be going back to the stock room at Home Depot.  

I don’t expect to have a great season in 2021, I’ll be ok with a good season, but I do think it will be an interesting season.  

interesting because when I listen to A Smith and D Pees, I hear interesting things.  Primarily that they are not ‘system’ guys.  Specifically, that they fit a scheme to the players.   

I like that idea.  We all learned as infants, that square peg won’t fit in the round hole. 

On defense, I like that he attacks.  An offensive minded defense.  Dictate the game to the offense.  Make them think, make them guess, but always surprise them.  It will be interesting to watch and see how it develops.  I’m sure we’ll get burned a few times, but at least we aren’t just sitting back and reacting to 5, 7 and 12 yard passes.  

On offense, I hear people putting A Smith into a hole of “he’s a big back guy. He’s a run game guy.  Look at Derick Henry.”   I think this is false.  I think he uses what he has.  He had DH, so he used him well.   In Atlanta, he will have something different and he will use it.  Most would say our RB are our weakest link on offense, how will we run the ball?  Maybe we won’t (much).  Maybe A Smith has other plans to use what we have.  MR2 can still deliver the ball, we’ve got more TE talent than an all Asian strip club,  Ridley can be a #1 WR and hopefully our O-line improves….remember A Smith was an O Lineman.  He understands what is needed on the O Line.   I think he develops O line this year and next off season, then brings in a RB.  

I don’t know if we’ll have a great or even a good season, but I can’t wait for it to start because I know it will be very interesting.

Go Falcons!

You are just counting Davis out huh, and man this UDFA Javien Hawkins, he is a speedster, and he was up on the draft board before he opted out because covid, but glad he did because this kid is going to be special . Also Ollison, he is the bruiser, big back shifty and strong, falcons only used him at endzone, and 3rd down which he left with 3 Td . So this is far from what you said not exactly a good RB room. Also Davis is a big guy, and good runner, he filled in excellent for starting RB of panthers, I think coach saw he could do this and believes he could be a feature back? Well now he has his chance#Riseup

#TFF(true Falcons Fans)

#Atlfalcon4life