Our New Safeties Highlights

Man I am really liking the way TF is building this team so far. There's a lot of really positive common traits on display among these guys. 

They all really seem to have a nose for the ball. They're just always around it seems like. Harmon is freaky with how he always comes up with the deflected pass, especially in the 4th quarter. Grant seems really good at reading routes and jumping them. 

Seems like our safety group is a bunch of play makers that can switch the momentum of the game. I think that Fabian Moreau seems to really have a nose for the ball too.

I'm actually getting excited to see the improvements in our secondary.

On 7/16/2021 at 3:13 AM, Knight of God said:

9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Those were standard Strong Safeties, basically an additional LB. Free Safety is what we've lacked for a long time. If ever you hear me talking about Safety, I can assure you I'm not complaining about SS too much. 

Great clips Knight, w needed some positive info on our secondary.

21 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Man I am really liking the way TF is building this team so far. There's a lot of really positive common traits on display among these guys. 

They all really seem to have a nose for the ball. They're just always around it seems like. Harmon is freaky with how he always comes up with the deflected pass, especially in the 4th quarter. Grant seems really good at reading routes and jumping them. 

Seems like our safety group is a bunch of play makers that can switch the momentum of the game. I think that Fabian Moreau seems to really have a nose for the ball too.

I'm actually getting excited to see the improvements in our secondary.

This. They do all have a knack for getting to the ball. So I expect confusion from Offenses and some INTs for the D. Could be huge to change games

10 hours ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

Yes that’s what’s been reported. Peas wants to keep the defense guessing.

That's what the random media intern with no inside info decided to put down on the website depth chart. Unless I missed a legitimate source reporting it.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:59 AM, BAMF said:

This year's defense is gonna be at least top 15 with Pees and our draftees and free agents being upgrades from last year.  I know  many believe edge is still a need, but Pees blitzes from everywhere!  He will adjust accordingly to cover any defensive shortcomings.

i hope so man i hope so

On 7/16/2021 at 12:03 PM, SipDirtyBird84 said:

Not sure I understand the move of Oliver to safety.

On 7/16/2021 at 12:08 PM, jetpac said:

Have you seen him play corner? Yuck.

He’s actually going to be our starter at nickel-corner, which is a critical hybrid role for the defense. And contrary to TAFT’s belief, Oliver played well there when he was moved to the slot last year.

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I actually think Oliver would be a better FS than NB. Also believe Grant could drop down to NB if necessary. Nobody’s mentioned Hawkins who showed some signs last year. I think we’re good at safety.

Hawkins was highly rated by PFF in his limited reps I believe. Basically just performed when put out there. 

14 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I actually think Oliver would be a better FS than NB. Also believe Grant could drop down to NB if necessary. Nobody’s mentioned Hawkins who showed some signs last year. I think we’re good at safety.

I agree we are good at safety! That’s why I was confused about moving Oliver to safety.

43 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

I agree we are good at safety! That’s why I was confused about moving Oliver to safety.

Pees mentioned something about it, but the context was more like cross training. We could use a 4th safety. Oliver will be deadly in the slot either way. This system will allow it.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:22 AM, Knight of God said:

We look really good at safety. We actually have 3 definite good ones. At least good. I believe that. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I think that's going to be a strong group. 

I think that you’re right. I haven’t given up on Hawkins growing into a very good backup combo saftety at the least. I like this group. I’m also not that down on our cb situation either. Overall, the re-made secondary looks pretty good. That’ll go a long ways towards improving this defense 

1 hour ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

I’ve been mentioning Oliver at FS for a year or more. Think it could be a good fit. He plays better facing the action. Not a big hitter but he’s a dam good tackler. Still young like Grant and Hawkins. Harris and Harmon are over 30. Get him some snaps back there and see what he’s got.

8 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I think that you’re right. I haven’t given up on Hawkins growing into a very good backup combo saftety at the least. I like this group. I’m also not that down on our cb situation either. Overall, the re-made secondary looks pretty good. That’ll go a long ways towards improving this defense 

I know you like Hawkins bro...ew

I’m eager to see the defense with the safety turnover as well. Harmon is better than Rico ever was, but he is starting to get up there in age. Grant being brought in; who also trained pre-draft with Harris, could make for a good mix of veterans with the future.

The wild card is how the young CB room comes along. I like the idea of Oliver blitzing or a safety coming down. We may get burned a few times early on as the assignments get down, but I have more confidence in Dean’s track record of maximizing average rosters to get overachieving results.

This team still goes as far as the offense can carry it, but after moving on from Julio there is no question a shift to defense building hopefully will yield more players worth giving a 2nd contract. Grant looks like a solid prospect. Let’s see if the CBs can come along. AJ could quietly develop and take a leap in particular.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:05 AM, falconsFTW said:

high high hopes for Richie Grant, especially because we passed on Javonte Williams.  i've liked our safeties in prior years, william moore and keanu neal, but neither could stay healthy long term and both were liabilities in coverage.  would be great to get a safety who can cover but can also knock a ball carrier into oblivion

A good RB is a 4-6yr player. 
A good FS/SS can be a 10yr player.

this is why RBs rarely go in 1st rd.

YES, RBs can make a huge splash early but those 2nd contracts don’t usually work out for the NFL teams that sign those RBs to the high dollar contracts - ask Falcons(Freeman), Rams(Gurley) and NYJ(Bell).

It was the right call.   Not only did we get the better player for Falcons (Grant over Javonte) but we got 4th rd pick to boot(while giving back 6th).

22 hours ago, g-dawg said:

A good RB is a 4-6yr player. 
A good FS/SS can be a 10yr player.

this is why RBs rarely go in 1st rd.

YES, RBs can make a huge splash early but those 2nd contracts don’t usually work out for the NFL teams that sign those RBs to the high dollar contracts - ask Falcons(Freeman), Rams(Gurley) and NYJ(Bell).

It was the right call.   Not only did we get the better player for Falcons (Grant over Javonte) but we got 4th rd pick to boot(while giving back 6th).

ok yea it was a good trade and a good pick, at least from our perspective sitting here before training camp begins.  I read some writer's take that Grant reminds him of Brian Dawkins, so just the idea that we could be rolling with a player like Dawkins for the next 10 years is super exciting.  dear sweet baby jesus, let it all come true

1 hour ago, falconsFTW said:

ok yea it was a good trade and a good pick, at least from our perspective sitting here before training camp begins.  I read some writer's take that Grant reminds him of Brian Dawkins, so just the idea that we could be rolling with a player like Dawkins for the next 10 years is super exciting.  dear sweet baby jesus, let it all come true

would be nice if Grant was in same hemisphere as Dawkins.

However my larger point is simply RBs aren't good value IMHO in 1st and 2nd rounds - those picks should be reserved for positions where you would want to sign the drafted player to a 2nd contract and feel good about prospects of the player being better from performance perspective on 2nd contract than the 1st contract.